Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Accelerator linkage question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Gurr... So, I just got the car running again after being down for almost a week, and something else happened.

The ball that goes into the cup on the plate to which the accelerator cable attaches will not stay in the ball cup. The plate might actually be bent, it kinda looks off kilter. I've been needing a new pedal anyhow, so I can see how the weird angle may have bent it out of shape.

My question is this... If I bought a new pedal, plate, etc., I figure I'll be alright for a while, but I don't know if I can replace the plate with the cluster in place. Looking at the diagrams, it looks like it pretty much just sticks in there.

Can I just pry the old plate out and slide a new one in with everything in place, even if it would be a pain in the ass?
76-914
Nope. Pull the cluster then it is a piece of cake. Otherwise it might be a cluster sheeplove.gif .
Jeffs9146
There is a pin clip holding it into the pedal assembly. It is a common problem when the pivot bends or breaks. I have done it in the car but it is a pain to get the clip back in and you should replace the bushings while you are in there!
EdwardBlume
I "might" have an extra one of these I can send you for nuthin'.....
ripper911
I should probably take you up on that Shirley, I'll pm you.

The crux of the problem is that my car is exceedingly rusty, I risk not being able to reattach what I remove, and I've never removed the pedal cluster myself.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jan 20 2016, 05:54 PM) *

I should probably take you up on that Shirley, I'll pm you.

The crux of the problem is that my car is exceedingly rusty, I risk not being able to reattach what I remove, and I've never removed the pedal cluster myself.

Its easy. A blind monkey could be trained to do it.

The rust just either means your should, or you really really should.
EdwardBlume
I'd also recommend pulling the center console if you have one, and the steering wheel....
ripper911
I'll consider removing the console, but if removing the cluster is just a bolt or two like I think it is it might not be necessary. I've just never done it myself, it was replaced with a rebuilt unit several years ago.
bdstone914
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jan 20 2016, 08:00 PM) *

I'll consider removing the console, but if removing the cluster is just a bolt or two like I think it is it might not be necessary. I've just never done it myself, it was replaced with a rebuilt unit several years ago.

You may not need to pull the pedals at all but if you do.....
To remove the pedal cluster you need to drop the steering rack pan and the two bolts on the master cylinder. If they are rusty spray them and go carefully when removing them. Remove the two nuts that hold the pedal cluster to the floor. Run a big screwdriver or chisel under the pedal cluster to lift it above the studs in the floor.
remove the accelerator and clutch cable.
The ball cup is held onto the ball with a clip inside the ball. If if sticks it will not hold.
pull it and dig in with a small pick to see it can be moved.
ripper911
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 20 2016, 11:30 PM) *

The ball cup is held onto the ball with a clip inside the ball. If if sticks it will not hold.
pull it and dig in with a small pick to see it can be moved.

Are you saying that I might be able to reset the clip and be back on the road? I'll take a look at it!
rgalla9146

The loose ball and bent bell crank are probably the result of resistance elsewhere in the system.
While you're at it I'd remove the cable looking for wear and drag and check the throttle body too. Same goes if you have a carb arrangement.
A new gas pedal is also a good idea.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 21 2016, 03:33 PM) *

The loose ball and bent bell crank are probably the result of resistance elsewhere in the system.
While you're at it I'd remove the cable looking for wear and drag and check the throttle body too. Same goes if you have a carb arrangement.
A new gas pedal is also a good idea.

agree.gif

I changed out my accelerator cable on the former racer because it was sticking. Got it out, but couldn't get the new one in..... ended up spraying brake cleaner down the tube and a bunch of crap came out...

A jacked up car dented underneath may affect the tube as well.
r_towle
Pull out the console and lay on your stomach from the passenger side.
It can be done in the car.

Removing the cluster may screw up your floor and require another street sign.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 21 2016, 09:32 PM) *

Pull out the console and lay on your stomach from the passenger side.
It can be done in the car.

Removing the cluster may screw up your floor and require another street sign.

If you're lucky only a license plate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.