Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Badges, What's the deal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
johnpierre
Hello everyone

I was wondering if anyone has the low down on the badges that I sometimes see on the back grill of Porsches?

which ones came on which models and what were the original purpose of displaying them: are the one below correct as far as design and color and did these come on 914's ???
Mike Bellis
The one with the American flag was only available on 914's built in the US.
zambezi
None of them ever came on a Porsche. Owners would and still do buy them to decorate the car in their own personal taste. They could put any badge possible on the car and none would be original, but its all about personal taste.
SirAndy
QUOTE(zambezi @ Jan 20 2016, 08:13 PM) *
None of them ever came on a Porsche.

agree.gif
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 20 2016, 09:28 PM) *

None of them ever came on a Porsche.

agree.gif

Damn it! I thought I had him going and you guys blow it!!!
Coondog
Sorry but I had to go there....

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Most of them were from particular clubs or particular events.

--DD
johnpierre
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jan 20 2016, 08:11 PM) *

The one with the American flag was only available on 914's built in the US.

good to know...
johnpierre
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jan 20 2016, 08:36 PM) *

Sorry but I had to go there....

Click to view attachment

lol-2.gif
johnpierre
for those of you who replied, thanks for the info. does anyone have an opinion or of their usage? cool, not cool, indifferent. how many members of Porsche clubs have them on their cars?
cary
I have both Big Sky and Oregon PCA regions on the lid of my Carrera.

I'm an old school guy. What ever floats your boat.
johnpierre
QUOTE(cary @ Jan 20 2016, 11:30 PM) *

I have both Big Sky and Oregon on the lid of my Carrera.

I'm an old school guy. What ever floats your boat.

aktion035.gif
maf914
I watched "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" completely for the first time during the holidays. I had known about the "stinkin' badges" quote before, but finally heard and saw it delivered in context.

The following is from Wikipedia:

John Huston's adaptation of Traven's novel was altered to meet Hays Code regulations, which severely limited profanity in film. The original line from the novel was: "Badges, to god-damned hell with badges! We have no badges. In fact, we don't need badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges, you god-damned cabrĂ³n and chinga tu madre!" The dialogue as written for the film is:

Gold Hat: "We are Federales... you know, the mounted police."
Dobbs: "If you're the police, where are your badges?"
Gold Hat: "Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

Gold Hat's response as written by Huston - and delivered by Bedoya - has become famous, and is often misquoted as "We don't need no stinking badges!" In 2005, the quotation was chosen as No. 36 on the American Film Institute list, AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 21 2016, 12:07 AM) *

for those of you who replied, thanks for the info. does anyone have an opinion or of their usage? cool, not cool, indifferent. how many members of Porsche clubs have them on their cars?

Each member will give a different answer from:

You are a total asshole to put a badge on your car.
It's wrong, never had it from the factory, don't put it on your car.
It's wrong , but it's your car (asshole).
It's wrong , but it's your car.
I have one on my car from a PO...what an asshole...
I have one on my car from a PO...but it's too much of a hassle to take it off.
I wouldn't do it on my car but it's your car do so as you like.
I don't have one on my car but I'm thinking of putting one on.
I have one and I love it.
I have one and I love it, it should have had one from the factory.
It's your car, life's short, do as you like. Don't listen to those CW types, they're assholes...
I don't care, I love my badges
You have a badge too? you're my best friend....

Then there's that one guy who has 50 badges on his 914...everyone thinks he's an.... bootyshake.gif

Then you have a member with a hi-performance quad turbo v10 conversion, CVT transmission, paddle shift, cage, power steering, clutch and brakes, LED lights, EBS rims, fart can, etc. that will give you shit for having a badge on your 914 hood.

rolleyes.gif
Mueller

None of them ever came on a Porsche. Owners would and still do buy them to decorate the car in their own personal taste. They could put any badge possible on the car and none would be original, but its all about personal taste.

Or lack of smile.gif

Not a fan of them...
ben*james
I think they are cool but I used to put stickers on my pee chees.

I think on a GT engine lid, all the extra mesh screams for them.

To each his own though, unless you don't like my ideas of cool. Then your an a$$!

smile.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jan 21 2016, 09:22 AM) *

To each his own though, unless you don't like my ideas of cool. Then your an a$$!

smile.gif

I see no issues with it either. Had these on my 70 with a GT lid. Original 914 club badge, PCA, and SCCA

Nozzle
Seems that badges were part of the sports car accessory deal back in the day. Struck me as part of the stringback glove and wicker picnic basket scene. My car had two on the back grill and by the looks of them were installed not long after original purchase. I won't be replacing them as they seem more appropriate on a MG or Triumph grill to my eye.
MJHanna
Hell I caught crap for putting a R on my car. WTF.gif Do what you want. I get concerned when I see so many on the grill it looks like they are restricting the airflow to the engine. lol-2.gif
blackmoon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2016, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 21 2016, 12:07 AM) *

Each member will give a different answer from:

You are a total asshole to put a badge on your car.
It's wrong, never had it from the factory, don't put it on your car.
It's wrong , but it's your car (asshole).
It's wrong , but it's your car.
I have one on my car from a PO...what an asshole...
I have one on my car from a PO...but it's too much of a hassle to take it off.
I wouldn't do it on my car but it's your car do so as you like.
I don't have one on my car but I'm thinking of putting one on.
I have one and I love it.
I have one and I love it, it should have had one from the factory.
It's your car, life's short, do as you like. Don't listen to those CW types, they're assholes...
I don't care, I love my badges
You have a badge too? you're my best friend....

Then there's that one guy who has 50 badges on his 914...everyone thinks he's an.... bootyshake.gif

Then you have a member with a hi-performance quad turbo v10 conversion, CVT transmission, paddle shift, cage, power steering, clutch and brakes, LED lights, EBS rims, fart can, etc. that will give you shit for having a badge on your 914 hood.

rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
bandjoey
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Jan 21 2016, 10:35 AM) *

Hell I caught crap for putting a R on my car. WTF.gif Do what you want. I get concerned when I see so many on the grill it looks like they are restricting the airflow to the engine. lol-2.gif

Well we all know thr 'R' is a cheaper car than the much valued 'S' package. happy11.gif lol-2.gif I've been considering side stripes for 3 years and still can't decide. IMHO one grill badge is cool. 2 or more tacky.
johnpierre
LOLOLOLOL.......

i sometime forget how funny this crew (the members for 914.c0m) can be. Ok I get it. I like all your replies and y'all put a smile on my face. lol-2.gif

i like the badges and I going to rock couple of them out, at least until I don't like them any more. ;-)

-jp-
boxsterfan
On some 914's, the badge might be the only thing holding it together.
ben*james
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 21 2016, 09:06 PM) *

On some 914's, the badge might be the only thing holding it together.

Yep,...that's why I have them! happy11.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif

JACK STANDS RULE

driving.gif

Mikey914
Then there were the world badges
dhm
Click to view attachment
Pursang
Slightly different mounting point and just a little illegal (unlawful to block your plate). This badge from the Four Cylinder Club of America dates back to the 1960's. At the time it was a sports car club in the South Bay area in California that focused on gimmick rallyes and some T&D. My car in those days was a '59 Sprite. The club was "non-denominational" and welcomed all makes and models of sports cars, even some with more cylinders biggrin.gif . I'm glad I kept the badge.

IPB Image
StratPlayer
Personally I don't give a crap what anyone thinks of badges...
forrestkhaag
A friend of mine, and I wont say whodat beez,.... went crazy with stickers, badges and the like and had one replicated at 30 inches in diameter, then drilled two 1/2"holes in his door and mounted a matching pair....
RickS
I couldn't agree more about the comment about only assholes having badges. And then there are some badges more assholey than others. Especially this one. May I submit for your approaval Exhibit A.

Click to view attachment

What' the saying? I would never join a club that would accept me as a member.
EdwardBlume
I prefer stickers and curb squeakers.
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
Blue6
QUOTE(forrestkhaag @ Jan 22 2016, 11:11 AM) *

A friend of mine, and I wont say whodat beez,.... went crazy with stickers, badges and the like and had one replicated at 30 inches in diameter, then drilled two 1/2"holes in his door and mounted a matching pair....

Forrest, I wouldn't say anything to that friend about his large unsightly badges, he looks mean! evilgrin.gif
Wyvern
As stated, none original ...

I like them when they relate to the owner , car or have some kind of connection.
that said in my opinion it is easy to have too many
Same hold true for stickers .

Both stickers and badges make the car YOURS ... I say go ahead and be who / what you are . Take them off change them ...

On my yellow Cayman (note I am a Bee Keeper ) I have a sticker on the underside of the wing that says "Killer Bee".

On the 914 as it is a 1973 F1 Pace Car tribute I found a period correct Mosport Park badge.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jan 23 2016, 04:40 PM) *

On the 914 as it is a 1973 F1 Pace Car tribute I found a period correct Mosport Park badge.

Can you post a pic of your Mosport Park badge, I live about 25 minutes from Mosport. beerchug.gif
DBCooper
I have a Jaguar and my son gave me a "Lucas: Prince of Darkness" badge for Christmas. Perfect. No Jaguar should be without one.

IPB Image

If you haven't had an older British car they usually came with Lucas electrics. Lucas "electrics."

Marv's3.6six
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jan 21 2016, 07:22 AM) *

smile.gif

Agreed fabricated this rubber base to new PMS 3.6 badge!

Click to view attachment
Wyvern
here is the badge
raynekat
Click to view attachment

This one will be going on my 71 when I finish restoring it.

I'm OK having the odd, occasional badge on your car.
Again as others have stated if it has some meaing or goes with the car.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(raynekat @ Jan 25 2016, 12:29 AM) *

Click to view attachment

This one will be going on my 71 when I finish restoring it.

I'm OK having the odd, occasional badge on your car.
Again as others have stated if it has some meaing or goes with the car.

Always wondered where they got the idea for the screaming chicken on the old Trans Am Pontiacs! ...and there ya go
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Jan 24 2016, 12:56 AM) *

here is the badge

IPB Image

Hate to tell you this and it may not matter to you, but you should know that's not a period correct badge.
That is a badge from the 1999 Grand Prix event in Montreal.

If there was a badge from the 914 era, 1968 and '70 would be in French as the GP was held at Mont Tremblant, Quebec and likely in English for 1967, 69, 71 then 72, 73, 74 etc., as it was held at Mosport, (Bowmanville) Ontario..

1973 Canadian Grand Prix (Mosport) was the first ever use of a Safety Car and it was a yellow Porsche 914.
Another bit of trivia this was also the first safety car screw-up as it got in front of the wrong car. It took hours of head scratching, pissing and moaning before the official winner was announced.
Larmo63
Do whatever floats your boat. This guy thinks he is going to enter some sort of race.

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
QUOTE(RickS @ Jan 23 2016, 10:07 AM) *

I couldn't agree more about the comment about only assholes having badges. And then there are some badges more assholey than others. Especially this one. May I submit for your approaval Exhibit A.

Click to view attachment

What' the saying? I would never join a club that would accept me as a member.

Yes and these badges have stories behind them.
Thanks again Andy for your contribution in making this badge happen!
dale73914
I decided mine was going on the bumper .
Local Porsche club badge

Suppose that makes me ok with badges..... And stickers too by the looks of it.
Krieger
I bought three different badges, but I just can bring myself to putting any of them on my cars...
Dave_Darling
Either the PCA or just some regions have license plate frames that have attachment points for badges sticking out from the side. It's an easy and non-destructive way to show them off. And it helps fill up the larger European-spec license plate area with our smaller US-spec plates.

--DD
Cal
I've been a member of this club for years and it's been on every Porsche that I've owned. No....I didn't drill the bodywork....
gandalf_025
3 pages and nobody has gone to Blazing Saddles ???

Wow, I'm amazed...

Click to view attachment
76-914
poke.gif Hold 'er there Newt. Slow down and look back @ post #6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.