Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which will be faster?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
My 914 will be finished soon. It will be a 2056, with a mild cam and headers but will maintain stock FI. I also have the pleasure of owning an driving for the past six months a 135K mile stock 78 911SC 3.0. My question is which car will be quicker? Is the 914's relatively lower weight enough to overcome it's lower HP? Will I finish this pricey mechanical rehab on the 914 only to lust for more power?
MarkV
The yellow one. blink.gif
McMark
The 911 will be faster, but the 914 will feel faster. wink.gif

2056 is pretty fun. driving.gif
mightyohm
I am pretty sure the 911 will be faster. 911SC is around 2900lb/180hp = 16.1lb/hp. 914 will be around 2000/110hp = 18.2lb/hp. So the 914 will be slower.

The 911 will also have more torque which will make it feel even faster.

PS: That fuel injection will probably need some modifications to accomodate the 2056.
Trekkor
Straight line, the 911's got ya.
On the a/x you got 'em. wink.gif

KT
Demick
Like others said, depends on what you mean by quicker.

Your 914 will run circles around a stock SC on the autocross course.

But in a drag race the 911 will probably win (although not by much).

911 will beat it on top speed too (but who cares about that).

Demick
campbellcj
The better question is: which one will be more "fun"? burnout.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 17 2005, 08:58 PM)
Will I finish this pricey mechanical rehab on the 914 only to lust for more power?

Ayup laugh.gif
Trekkor
By 2006, we'll all have SIXES.

KT
McMark
Except me. tongue.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Demick @ Mar 17 2005, 09:46 PM)

My goal is to get the 914-turbo to a higher speed than my M3. I'm still running without the intercooler, and my injectors are too small, but I'm already within 19mph. My goal is to have the worlds fastest 1.7l 914 with 100,000 miles on stock internals. happy11.gif

-Ben M.
anthony
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Mar 17 2005, 10:04 PM)
I am pretty sure the 911 will be faster. 911SC is around 2900lb/180hp = 16.1lb/hp. 914 will be around 2000/110hp = 18.2lb/hp. So the 914 will be slower.

FWIW, a stock SC weighs around 2600 lbs. and most 914s weigh more than 2000lbs. The SC will still be a lot faster than a 914/2056 with 100-110hp.

2600/180hp = 14.4lb/hp
2100/110hp = 19.1lb/hp

Still, I find my 914 more fun than my SC on a twisty back road or AX course. It feels more tossable and is a lot easier to drive near the limit. The SC is a better cruiser, more comfortable, and puts a nice smile on your face when put you smash the accelerator.
markb
QUOTE (anthony @ Mar 17 2005, 10:56 PM)

Still, I find my 914 more fun than my SC on a twisty back road or AX course. It feels more tossable and is a lot easier to drive near the limit. The SC is a better cruiser, more comfortable, and puts a nice smile on your face when put you smash the accelerator.

agree.gif
dmenche914
Fastest? After some thought ont he subject, In a free fall my bet would be on our rear engined brother winning. The tail heavy 911 would likely assume a tail first dive if sent out of an airplane, the car would be fairly airodymanic in that position. The 914 with its mid center of gravity would I think be more prone to an unstable tumble as it dashes towards Earth. The tumble would reduce the speed for airodynamic reasons.

Now to be practical, on a winding road, the 914 can out run most other cars, and that can include the 911 with lots of HP more than the 914, agian engine placement being the reason, but for a different reason than in the prior example.
Root_Werks
Swap engines. happy11.gif Sell the 911 as a "Rare" 912 on eBay! laugh.gif
ppickerell
I will never be drag racing them so who cares about straight line speed. The few times I AX'ed my 914 while it was at 1.7 I truly did feel like I could throw it full speed into any corner. When I ran my SC it was fighting me all the way. Yet when I hit a nice wide on ramp to a clear freeway I appreciate the SC's grunt! I know I will enjoy the 2056 but I already regret not going six and I haven't even driven the car yet!
ppickerell
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Mar 18 2005, 09:05 AM)
Swap engines. happy11.gif Sell the 911 as a "Rare" 912 on eBay! laugh.gif

I have a line on a 3.2 carrera six that I think I will just tuck away for now. I can't see molesting the SC, it is too nice! I removed the center console for my big foot and that was bad enough.
nebreitling
Whoa! talking /6 before you've even driven your new car? enjoy what you got for a while. it'll be fun, and not blindingly fast, and that's okay!

if you need to go faster, start ditching weight.
J P Stein
Don't spend much time worrying over it.

Take that thing out and flog it. When you reach the point where you feel the lack of power is holding you back, then decided what you want to do......that should keep you busy for a couple years. By then, you'll also know if you really wanna get serious about AX.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE (MarkV @ Mar 17 2005, 09:00 PM)
The yellow one. blink.gif

laugh.gif clap.gif lol2.gif
fiid
QUOTE (airsix @ Mar 17 2005, 10:30 PM)
QUOTE (Demick @ Mar 17 2005, 09:46 PM)

My goal is to get the 914-turbo to a higher speed than my M3. I'm still running without the intercooler, and my injectors are too small, but I'm already within 19mph. My goal is to have the worlds fastest 1.7l 914 with 100,000 miles on stock internals. happy11.gif

-Ben M.

Such an inspiration. :-) Good job man. Just how quick is it?
fiid
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 18 2005, 09:27 AM)
Swap engines.  :evilgrin:  Sell the 911 as a "Rare" 912 on eBay!  :lol:

I have a line on a 3.2 carrera six that I think I will just tuck away for now. I can't see molesting the SC, it is too nice! I removed the center console for my big foot and that was bad enough.

Seems like you have it all worked out. Enjoy the 2056 - and when you get bored of it, go to the 3.2

Sounds from other threads like you will have your suspension and brakes worked out too, which is the other part of the equation. I'd spend a good year getting some seat time and see how you feel afterwards. Theres no rule saying you can't pull the 2056 next yr (or even in 5yrs)

Howard
Lies, damned lies, but POC statistics:

Your 914 would run in C Improved
Your 911 would run in I Stock
Or fix up the SC (tires, suspension, etc.) and run in I improved

Lap records Willow Springs (big track)
CI: 1:41.019 IS: 1:45.012 II: 1:36.288

Streets (short track)
CI: 1:18.736 IS: 1:20.574 II: 1:19.517

grantsfo
Well since some relatively stock 85 hp 1.8s out there can beat times of stock 911 SC's in AX your not depending on increased power there.

With a 2056 you'll have good off the line acceleration to about 50 MPH and then the 911 will walk away. Thats better than running away like 911's do when I chase them in my 85 hp beast at speeds over 50 mph.

Its funny because I have a Boxster and I'm always impressed how that car pulls from 60 MPH to 150 MPH. There is just no substitute for more power at higher speeds where wind resistance comes into play.

I think the greastest illustration how HP rules at speed is a video of and Elise taking on a Corvette on Nurburgring. The Elise is all over the Vette in the corners and trying to pass and when they get to the straights the Corvette almost disapears into the horizon because its so much faster over 100 mph.

So yeah your always going to want more power but in the 914 you dont need it in most cases.

airsix
QUOTE (fiid @ Mar 18 2005, 03:43 PM)
Such an inspiration. :-) Good job man. Just how quick is it?

Thanks Fiid. smile.gif The hardest run I've done got to ~128mph indicated and pulling hard when the injectors hit 100% duty cycle and the audible ECU alarm went off (signalling injector saturation). Data log showed the intake temps were 190F (ambient temp was low 70's). I've got an intercooler I haven't installed yet, and I'm working on rounding up some bigger injectors. Fun stuff.
How's that Scooby project coming? It's been a while since I saw a progress report (I'm not one to talk - I haven't done squat in months).
-Ben M.
EdwardBlume
A prepared 914-4 is formidable competition on short AX tracks. Usually fills out a good portion of the top 20. On longer straights you have time to sip your latte (oops I mean chug your beer). laugh.gif
joea9146
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 18 2005, 01:27 PM)
Swap engines.  :evilgrin:  Sell the 911 as a "Rare" 912 on eBay!  :lol:

Take the 3.0 from the SC for the 914 and put a 3.6 in the SC biggrin.gif
jim912928
No..keep everything as is and let me get that 3.2l engine!
PatW
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Mar 18 2005, 09:26 AM)
I know I will enjoy the 2056 but I already regret not going six and I haven't even driven the car yet!

Well, when you get tired of the 914. Sell it to me.. biggrin.gif laugh.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Sammy @ Mar 19 2005, 02:56 AM)
AX must be different in other parts O' the country. My SC (pre turbo I'm talkin) gets beat by 914s with big sixes, but rarely by a 4 unless there's a whole bunch of suspension and tiars etc done to it.

Here too. It's hard to compete in a 914-4. Our clubs have so many Mustang and Vette drivers that the courses ALWAYS have at least 2 sections 100yrds long with barely a token bend in them. But I'm working on a plan (they haven't seen the turbo yet)...
-Ben M.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.