Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anyone been to Rio and Buenos Aires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
OT subject here --

Anyone been to Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires? I've got a butt load of United Miles from my job. Cashed in 400K miles and got us 2 First Class tickets rountrip to Rio and Buenos Aires. One week in each port with a couple day stopover on the way back in Washington DC to see Doris' sister.

Anyone have a must see or must do idea in either of the cities? I know in Rio at our beach hotel I'm going to be wearing cool_shades.gif !

Can't wait....it's been a grind lately.... wacko.gif

Bill P.
Trekkor
I know if I went, I'd be tapping my foot and finger popping with the bossa nova beat in the background...no doubt.

Have fun tunez.gif

KT
red914
back in 1992 my wife and i got to live in buenos aires for 5 weeks. it is an awesome city! cool architecture, an historic opera house, a fast ferry ride to montevideo uruguay (ok it is 4 hours, but it is a hydrofoil thing). there is lots to see and do, and i found the people to be very friendly. it is also close to some beach resorts on the atlantic, or some rainforest up near iguacu falls. yep, it is a great city. i would like to visit again, some day.

beef and red wine. the argentines do them both right. try the malbec wine. it only produces good wine in argentina; everywhere else it is used in mixed grape blends. (sorry, i don't speak "wine") and the beef... oh, the beef!!!!

it is awesome. lots of statues, great old churches, history, culture. it rawks!

the first europeans to land at present day buenos aires in about 1524 or so (forgive me, i forget the names and dates right now) were eaten by the natives, in view of their shipmates still on the boat.
neo914-6
I'm going to be wearing  !

Don't turn your head when they walk by. laugh.gif

When's Carnival? jester.gif
nine14cats
Carnival was in February....Doris wanted to wait until it was over....I wonder why??? happy11.gif

Thanks for tips on wine and beef. I'm looking online at all of the things to do. It's the end of summer there right now...should be great beach weather in Rio...and Buenos Aires supposedly has a great night time scene.

Keep the comment coming!

Thanks,

Bill P.
vortrex
rio is a very dangerous city, just be aware of that. you don't want to end up in the wrong part of town.
nine14cats
QUOTE (vortrex @ Mar 17 2005, 09:52 PM)
rio is a very dangerous city, just be aware of that.  you don't want to end up in the wrong part of town.

That's what I hear. We'll be careful in Rio. I have heard that Buenos Aires is much more tourist friendly as far as venturing out. I hope it is...

Bill P.
john rogers
When I was on the USS Enterprise back in 1970 we stopped at RIO for the Carnival for the whole time. What a trip that was. It is very hot so the women wear very little. The food was fantastic, especially the barbaque resturants and the beaches are un believable! They have the smallest suits in the world!
vortrex
yes my father went to Buenos Aires on business a couple times. he went all over the world for his job and he seemed to like BA the best.
aveale
i have spent some time in both places.

Argentina (Buenos Aires) is like Italy, with the fashion, latin influence and culture. It has been a great time for tourists lately because everything has really dropped in price.

Rio is like Daytona beach but less inhibited. The architecture is from the 70s and most places are somewhat run down. If you get a chance to head down the coast of Brazil, that is the place to go.

Sure you hear Rio is bad in some areas (what town of 1M + is not...), but you have to really try in order to see these spots.

Have fun.

T

Joe Ricard
Just be carefull. and keep you wits about you. Meaning there is no easier target for a pick pocket than an tipsy American with lots of money in his /her pocket. Oh blinders may be an option for the beaches. unlessss you don't mind getting whacked on the head everytime your eyes uncontrolable follow a purdy woman.
Bleyseng
Go check out the Tango scene in Buenos Aires! Take some lessons here or there and have some fun in the dance scene even if you have two left feet. Your wife will love the romantic Tango.....haha you do most of the work dancing BTW.

Geoff rocking nana.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (nine14cats @ Mar 17 2005, 09:18 PM)
Anyone have a must see or must do idea in either of the cities?

yeah, while at the beach, watch out for those big flies. they lay eggs under your skin and the larvae will grow under your skin, eating your flesh until it's ready to hatch ...

icon8.gif Andy
TonyAKAVW
My wife is from Buenos Aires and we go down there every year or two. Its a great place to visit and really cheap right now. First time I went down there the peso was at 1:1 exchange to the US Dollar. Now its very close to 3:1. This means you can have a nice filet minon dinner for something like $5 or $6!! Part of that is because beef is as common as bread down there... Try and find a resturuant that has a large Parilla (Argentine BBQ). I remember the first day we went there this last trip we went to a resturaunt that had a grill that was literally 4 feet deep and probably 8 feet wide, covered in different meats. And it was fantastic!

Some of the nice places to visit include Palermo (and a section called Palermo Hollywood), Recoleta (famous for the cemetary where Evita is buried, but there's a lot of other stuff to do as well), Puerto Madero is a fancy area that has seen a lot of development in recent years, some nice resturaunts, etc.

"9 de Julio" is the widest boulevard in the world and there are lots and lots of things to do in the surrounding area.

There are decent deals to be found on leather goods, I dont' remember the exact street for that, but in general a lot of shopping can be done on Calle Florida.

To really get the Argentine experience, its best to socialize as much as possible. Argentines are incredibly friendly and will literally come up and talk to you for no apparent reason, just to talk. Clubs and dance places are usually open until 7 or 8 am, so be prepared for late nights. Also variable weather.

-Tony

neo914-6
Go check out the Tango scene in Buenos Aires!
LAMBADA, the forbidden dance! laugh.gif
monkeydance.gif
sharper
I was in Rio back in September for work. The people there are super friendly and helpful. I've always heard that Brazilian women were the hotest in the world and that was no lie. I had a hard time concentrating in the office between that and overlooking the bay. As for the danger aspect it may be a little worse than other big cities but isn't a problem as long as you stay out of the bad areas. Hell, there are parts of Atlanta I won't go to and I live here. The food is great and cheap; make sure you go to a Brazilian BBQ. The only thing that really surprised me was the blatant prostitution. If you sit down at a bar on the beach they will come running. Even the bar tender at the hotel tried to hook me up with his girlfriend! I was also warned to be careful because not all of them are girls.
Eric_Shea
My wife's Brazilian... Rio (pronounced Hee-o) can be beautiful. We spent part of our honeymoon there. It would be great and probably worth your while to befriend a local to help you through the loop holes. While on Ipanema beach we were being followed by a "spotter" that liked out blonde hair and the fact that we were speaking english. He was using his cell phone to call a group of gypsies across the street. Unbeknownst to him, my wife was listening to the entire conversation. When they came across the street to "greet" us they were met with her Brazilian fury lol2.gif

Even the "hotel assigned" drivers can rip you off. A quick trip from our hotel back to "Porqome" (a good Churrascaria) cost R12.00 Reals... the trip back cost R3.00 dry.gif

Here's the rule... "If you like it (your watch, your big digital video camera etc.) leave it locked in your room. Don't be too flashy. Don't draw attention to yourselves. only carry R20.00 with you to the beach. Find a local you can trust, ask the front desk clerk, maybe a cabbie etc. to take you around for the day. If you have to spend $100.00 you'll have good reliable transportation to the attractions (Sugarloaf, Corcovado, Ipanema etc...) and you won't get taken to the cleaners.

That being said, the Brazilian people are some of the most beautiful on the planet. And no... not because of the "Bundas" you'll see on the beach. They are open, gregarious and very welcoming. The forementioned churrascaria's are a treat. Last time I was in Sao Paulo, I took the entire family (12 people) out for dinner at one of the finest churrascaria's in town. We were treated like Kings and Queens with literally a personal server for each of us. All for $110.00 (R330.00) including a massive tip. Exchange rates have changed since then but the dollar to real is still a good value.

PM me if you have any questions. Glad to help.

Believe it or not... when you're married to one, you get used to this:

nine14cats
Wow...thanks guys, you rock aktion035.gif

Felix, I thought a lambada was an oxygen sensor on a 911? happy11.gif

We are definitely looking forward to this trip. Work has been hell lately, and will absolutely be the pits when we get back since the world falls apart at my job whenever I leave (tis a strange place...).

Starting Monday, for the next 2 weeks, it's just the two of us! grouphug.gif

Bill P.
neo914-6
thought a lambada was an oxygen sensor on a 911?
it will make the car dance! laugh.gif
I'm sure Doris will wear cool_shades.gif , there will be much eye candy for the both of you laugh.gif
Take lot's of pics...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.