Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: installing the front trunk latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm trying to re-install the handle for the front hood latch. I'm referring to the handle under the dash on the driver's side.

I cannot get it to go in far enough. Referring to my sketch: the threaded end of the wire will not go any farther into the tube to the trunk because the straight part of the tube is not long enough. When I pulled the wire out, the threaded end was bent (no wonder it was so hard to pull).

The handle protrudes too far out; the set screw for the lock is exposed.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

Here's what I think: I need to get the threaded end of the wire to go farther back into the handle OR cut more threads on the end so I can screw it in farther. I need about 15-20mm.
76-914
What happens if you take the slack out of the cable on the hood catch?
Mikey914
You should be able to take the slack out on the release side. As long as your tube is solid. Did you replace the plastic guide tube? Because it sounds like the cracks in it are allow it to flex. It would seem like the cable was not tight enough.
914 RZ-1
Slack isn't the problem, but I figured out what is: my car was in a fender bender so the tube from the inside to the trunk has been bent so the threaded rod will not fit far enough in. I looked at another car and the threaded rod goes in far enough no problem. I compared the two and that area is slightly different in both cars.

So, any ideas on how to make the tube straighter?

My ideas:

1. I can bend it with a screwdriver on the interior side but then it points down farther on the inside of the car. I could make a spacer for the handle holder and get longer bolts. I might be able to bend it so I don't have to do this.

2. I could bend it on the trunk side, but I'm not sure if that will straighten it out enough.

3. I could cut the tube on one or both ends to make it shorter, but then the handle may not fit.

4. I could cut the tube out and put a new one in, but this would require some welding.

5. I could cut the tube mostly out so there's only a short length left and run a smaller diameter tube thru it and then run the wire thru that. This would avoid welding.

Let me know what you all think.

914 RZ-1
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 21 2016, 09:37 PM) *

You should be able to take the slack out on the release side. As long as your tube is solid. Did you replace the plastic guide tube? Because it sounds like the cracks in it are allow it to flex. It would seem like the cable was not tight enough.

Slack isn't the issue, I think (see my other post for more).

I did replace it. With sprinkler tubing, believe it or not. Had some laying around and thought I'd try it.
914 RZ-1
So here's what I did:

The steel tube was all bent to $h!+. I could not bend it back to fit. It actually came out from all the bending. I may try to fix it, but it's really jacked up.

I got some 5/16" diameter brass tubing and cut and bent it to fit. Works perfectly so far. I need to JB Weld the tube into the hole, but the guide tube (which I made from sprinkler drip line)seems to be holding it fairly well.

I may even get some steel tubing in the future and fix it properly.

The problem was as I suspected: the tube was bent so the threaded rod could not go in far enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.