Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 245 tyres in back
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgiroux67
I just made a deal for some wheels and tyres. They are 16x7's and 16x8's with 245's in the rear. Will that size tyre be too much for my stock 73 2.0L engine?
Aaron Cox
yummy! ronals! smilie_pokal.gif

i know 225's on four bangers.....

why would you have a problem? are you trying to compensate for something? rolleyes.gif
Qarl
It has nothing to do with your engine's displacement.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the backspacing and offset of the wheels.

I am going to venture to guess that they will NOT fit under your stock fenders.

245s are usually fitted to 914s with flared fenders.

I think you are going to rub either the fender or the trailing arm depending on the particular backspacing and offset of those wheels.

jgiroux67
No I was thinking that it would be a problem for the engine to move them or would just make the car slower. I dont know

I have gt flares so it won't be a problem there
Mueller
a few things to consider:

the wider the tire the more rolling resistance you'll encounter, the tire/rim combo is generally heavier, is the tire OD larger than what you are currently running? If yes, the car will be slower to accelerate due to the change in effective gear ratios.

about the only positive things are it'll look cool smile.gif and it "might" allow you to take certain corners just a tad bit faster due to the increased grip...
Qarl
Okay... I understand your question now...

I don't know your answer.

I think you'll be fine... no different then a 200 lb guy driving your car vs. a 150 lb guy...

But then there is the issue of unsprung weight? confused24.gif
Andyrew
It is the only way to look cool...

But it wont get ya faster... You need to do that to the engine yourself.

Do you plan on keeping the engine stock? If not, then go ahead and go with 245's on the back. You'll like the grip. but hate the fact that you cant get the rear around.. lol

Trust me, I know...
ChrisFoley
On a race track the car would be noticeably slower with tires that much bigger. On the street you may never be moving fast enough to notice the difference, except for the apparent gearing change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.