Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro 1.8L 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
A customer of mine says he just received a rusty 914 with a 1.8L engine that has two single barrel solex carbs and an unusual air cleaner.
He also says the speedo is in KPH.

I asked him to find the engine code to verify that it is a Euro market engine.
I may have an opportunity to examine the chassis before it gets cut up.

Can anyone explain what specific differences to look for to verify that it was a European car?

Also, I'm curious as to the value of those carbs, manifolds and air cleaner.
bretth
I know it should not have the front quarter panel lights if it is a Euro. Maybe no VIN tag on the window frame it I recall correctly.

Brett
JamesM
I think side marker lights were not on euro cars.
jim_hoyland
agree.gif No markers. IIRC, the numbers do not have that 5 mph bar and shocks. The two I have seen have single carb in the center.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 22 2016, 10:25 AM) *
The two I have seen have single carb in the center.

No. They had dual carbs.

The single carb is aftermarket ...
shades.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 23 2016, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 22 2016, 10:25 AM) *
The two I have seen have single carb in the center.

No. They had dual carbs.

The single carb is aftermarket ...
shades.gif

Looked at a motor years ago which was meant to be out of a 914 and it had dual 40mm solex's.
iwanta914-6
I always learn something new, I had no idea that euro cars had carbs.
SirAndy
QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Jan 22 2016, 10:44 AM) *

I always learn something new, I had no idea that euro cars had carbs.

Only the 1.8L ...
http://www.914world.com/specs/engnumbs.php
r_towle
Nothing different in the chassis, and the market lights would be the only major difference in the sheet metal.

May be Canadian also, but if I recall the Cap'n said the carbbed cars were only available in Europe. He also said the carb setup was available on the bus of the same time frame, so maybe the same will have better pricing info.

Ray mital may want the carbs...just sayin.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 22 2016, 02:45 PM) *

Good point. biggrin.gif

Well it turns out the engine code starts with W so it isn't a Euro 1.8L.
But the air cleaner does match the Euro setup.
ChrisFoley
I got a couple of pics this afternoon.
Its a '71 with side marker lights, so not a European market 914.
But it does have the carbs.
porschetub
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 23 2016, 10:35 AM) *

I got a couple of pics this afternoon.
Its a '71 with side marker lights, so not a European market 914.
But it does have the carbs.

Chris sent you PM,cheers.
JeffBowlsby
Here is the engine bay of the only 1974 914GT known to have a factory 1.8L engine, it lives in Switzerland with a long time P-car collector, VIN 16340 on the LE Registry.

Its an 914 LE for the euro market, has engine code AN and obviously dual carbs. VW T3's through 1967 had dual carbs and this common air cleaner, bet the parts are available if needed.

rmital
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 22 2016, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 22 2016, 02:45 PM) *

Good point. biggrin.gif

Well it turns out the engine code starts with W so it isn't a Euro 1.8L.
But the air cleaner does match the Euro setup.

popcorn[1].gif I'll stay tuned! shades.gif
914Sixer
Euro 412 had carbs too. I think Bus carb manifolds are too tall go under the lid with the rain tray but the short 412's would work.
JamesM
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 22 2016, 03:39 PM) *

Here is the engine bay of the only 1974 914GT known to have a factory 1.8L engine, it lives in Switzerland with a long time P-car collector, VIN 16340 on the LE Registry.

Its an 914 LE for the euro market, has engine code AN and obviously dual carbs. VW T3's through 1967 had dual carbs and this common air cleaner, bet the parts are available if needed.

What sort of linkage was used in this setup?
jmill
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jan 22 2016, 09:11 PM) *

What sort of linkage was used in this setup?

I'm curious also. The T3 had a bellcrank.
porschetub
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Jan 23 2016, 11:39 AM) *

Yep that's the ones ,square bowl solex's like the motor I looked @,so my memory still works smile.gif
r_towle
Ray wants these, he is playing it cool so he can afford to buy them but I know he is dreaming by about this setup... smile.gif
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 23 2016, 12:51 AM) *

Ray wants these, he is playing it cool so he can afford to buy them but I know he is dreaming by about this setup... smile.gif

...probably a big improvement over my 34icts flag.gif
ThePaintedMan

That is so cool! So they weren't actually double barrel Solexes! Those are Solex 34-PDSIT carbs, no? See that idle air cutoff valve on the left? I always heard the Euro-market 914s had Solex 40 PII (true dual barrels, like Weber 40s.)
Dave_Darling
I have an English-language version of the European owner's manual for 74...

I believe the carbs are 40 PDSITs, not 34s.

--DD
maf914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 23 2016, 05:23 PM) *

I have an English-language version of the European owner's manual for 74...
I believe the carbs are 40 PDSITs, not 34s.
--DD

Yep, the Haynes 914 manual indicates Solex 40 PDSIT carbs for the Euro 1.8 liter. An exploded illustration is shown on page 48.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.