Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red 71
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carl456
Here are a couple pics of the car I picked up. Shows manufacture date of 02/72. Parked inside at the moment and haven't even begun to go through the boxes, or to empty the truck of parts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Steve
If the body is fine, I would start with the rear and work forward. Otherwise start with the body.
Unobtanium-inc
Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap too many guys fall into where they take the car apart down to the last nut and start cutting out bad metal, then get overwhelmed because they can't remember how anything went together or how to fix what they cut out. Pick on spot on the car, fix it, seal it, and move onto the next spot. It's not as fun and dramatic as tearing the car apart, but it will keep you much saner about the project. I have bought dozens of cars from guys who got in over their heads and took a bath on the car when they sold it.
Elliot Cannon
It also helps to take pictures before you start tearing things apart. At first I would concentrate on making the car safe to drive. After that you can work on making it handle better and look nicer. Good luck. It will be frustrating and fun. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
Double post. dry.gif
Dave_Darling
A 71 would not be made in 72. If the VIN starts "472", it's a 72.

--DD
Carl456
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 22 2016, 07:48 PM) *

--DD

Title transferred the other day and it states "71" on the title.

Will do some digging and find the paint code and other vital info!
Carl456
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 22 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Whatever you do, don't fall into the trap too many guys fall into where they take the car apart down to the last nut and start cutting out bad metal, then get overwhelmed because they can't remember how anything went together or how to fix what they cut out. Pick on spot on the car, fix it, seal it, and move onto the next spot. It's not as fun and dramatic as tearing the car apart, but it will keep you much saner about the project. I have bought dozens of cars from guys who got in over their heads and took a bath on the car when they sold it.

Body has been done and repainted.
Needs reassembly now.
PO did a lot of the work. Going to work on the interior until it warms up around here!

May pull as many interior parts into the house to clean up and see what needs repair and go from there.

I'm thinking a package deal from 914 rubber in my future and maybe a wire harness.
Although, I would like to hear the engine run before replacing wiring. Kind of a vicious circle whether to do all the wiring first or put together and see what works and replace wiring as needed. Although I think wiring is going to be a lot easier without everything installed and put together.

First step, Organize, and document (go through all the boxes, trunk, extra parts). Then sort out my strategy.

Thoughts?
JOEPROPER
QUOTE(Carl456 @ Jan 22 2016, 11:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jan 22 2016, 03:04 PM) *

Body has been done and repainted.
Needs reassembly now.
PO did a lot of the work. Going to work on the interior until it warms up around here!

May pull as many interior parts into the house to clean up and see what needs repair and go from there.

I'm thinking a package deal from 914 rubber in my future and maybe a wire harness.
Although, I would like to hear the engine run before replacing wiring. Kind of a vicious circle whether to do all the wiring first or put together and see what works and replace wiring as needed. Although I think wiring is going to be a lot easier without everything installed and put together.

First step, Organize, and document (go through all the boxes, trunk, extra parts). Then sort out my strategy.

Thoughts?

I would sort out enough of the wiring to get it running first. You may learn a lot about what your up against without getting too deep into it. May also clarify your direction... Good Luck!
veekry9
Photography challenge,the six main views of every part as you remove,repair or replace them.
Top,bottom,front,back,left,right.A cube would look the same in every one.
A step by step,so in a few months there is no mystery how to install the windshield trim clips.
Why,you could make a meaningful record of the rehab of your new 914,that you chose wisely when you put the cash down.
A how I dunnit,by you.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=porsche+914+...akFBAgQ_AUIBigB

I fell in love with the dash as done by the fella that's doing the Martini 914,in Sweden I recall.
A nice fuzzy texture,non reflective.

Take a look into the cylinders before you attempt to turn or crank.
smile.gif

Carl456
Chassis and color
IPB Image

Engine stamp

IPB Image
Larmo63
That looks like a '73 2.0 engine number. That's good. L30E indicates Bahia Red. Not a bad 914 color.

I always tried and try to keep my car(s) running and on the road as I worked on it/them. There is nothing better than getting home from work, (I drive a Toyota Tacoma as a daily driver,) getting in the 914, and ripping around town. I go on drives just for the hell of it. "Groceries? I'm on it."

Once the car goes up on jackstands and gets lost in the garage, that fun can become a memory.

Driving these cars is the goal, and once you drive a well sorted 914, you will be hooked, I guarantee it.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 1 2016, 06:52 PM) *

That looks like a '73 2.0 engine number. That's good. L30E indicates Bahia Red. Not a bad 914 color.

I always tried and try to keep my car(s) running and on the road as I worked on it/them. There is nothing better than getting home from work, (I drive a Toyota Tacoma as a daily driver,) getting in the 914, and ripping around town. I go on drives just for the hell of it. "Groceries? I'm on it."

Once the car goes up on jackstands and gets lost in the garage, that fun can become a memory.

Driving these cars is the goal, and once you drive a well sorted 914, you will be hooked, I guarantee it.

Same here! Drive it, fix a little to it, drive it, fix it again ......
euro911
QUOTE(Carl456 @ Jan 22 2016, 08:36 PM) *
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 22 2016, 07:48 PM) *

--DD
Title transferred the other day and it states "71" on the title.

Will do some digging and find the paint code and other vital info!
I'd make sure the title matches the actual VIN before spending a lot of time & money confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 2 2016, 01:25 AM) *
I'd make sure the title matches the actual VIN before spending a lot of time & money confused24.gif

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.