Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2010-2015 Camaro Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawaii
Warning - not a subject for purists.

I have some wobbly flag mirrors the PO put on my 1970 914 and want to swap them out. The stock mirrors are OK, but just look too dated.

I started looking at every car on the road and noticed the 2010-2015 Camaro mirrors had a similar mounting angle. I also like the stealth fighter angularity to their shape - much like the 914. They are also running $30 to $50 new!

They bolt from the inside, so it means removing the inside door panels, but that's not a huge deal.

Thoughts? Anyone else try this or see this yet? Any similar mirrors out there?
Andyrew
They will probably look extremely big on the 914. The 914 mirror is probably half its size if not smaller.
Mike Fitton
If I were you I would just go buy a Camaro.
eeyore
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 22 2016, 03:31 PM) *

If I were you I would just go buy a Camaro.

At least parts would be cheaper
EdwardBlume
I agree. German engineers suck and we can collectively do much better!
jor
We have a harsh crowd this afternoon!

I agree with Andyrew and think that the Camaro mirrors would look too large compared to the size of the car. But it's your car and you should do what you want. If you like them, the price is certainly right.

Larmo63
"If I were you I would just go buy a Camaro."

Let's see them on your car so we can get this thread really going.

You must have missed the thread with the guy who (STILL!!!) has Mustang mirrors on his 914?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
shawaii
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 22 2016, 01:02 PM) *

They will probably look extremely big on the 914. The 914 mirror is probably half its size if not smaller.

This is my fear as well. The flags I have now don't stick out very far and the Camaro ones are certainly going to be wider. I've found an aftermarket mirror for the Camaro that looks more like the concept car - very small in the vertical dimension and as wide or wider that the stock Camaro mirrors.

There is nothing special about the Camaro - not really my favorite car, but a lot of the smaller sports car mirrors (Mini, Miata, etc.) are more rounded in shape and to me look out of place on the 914. There a a lot of after-market mirrors out there. CraftSquare has some angular ones that look OK.

It is hard to visualize without holding one in my hand (or better yet, holding one up to the car), which is why I like getting feedback from the forum too.
shawaii
Apparently the Camaro mirrors are 8 or 9 inches wide. So I'm realizing how bad the scale is.

Click to view attachment

The intent is not to look like Yoda (or Dobby the house elf, for the Harry Potter generation). I realize it's the mounting angle and style I like, more that the mirrors themselves.

Click to view attachment
shawaii
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 22 2016, 02:18 PM) *

"If I were you I would just go buy a Camaro."

Let's see them on your car so we can get a real thread going.

You must have missed the thread with the guy who (STILL!!!) has Mustang mirrors on his 914?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I enjoyed that thread quite a bit - and read it more than once to prepare myself for the flamethrowers I knew would swing in my direction.

I wish I could get by with no mirrors at all, or little cameras even, but they are a necessary detail. In a perfect world I'd have one absolutely pristine stock 914 and another with as much "modern" upgrades as possible.
Andyrew
QUOTE(shawaii @ Jan 22 2016, 04:47 PM) *

Apparently the Camaro mirrors are 8 or 9 inches wide. So I'm realizing how bad the scale is.

Click to view attachment

The intent is not to look like Yoda (or Dobby the house elf, for the Harry Potter generation). I realize it's the mounting angle and style I like, more that the mirrors themselves.

Click to view attachment

The white mirrors are concept car mirrors... Not production.
ThePaintedMan
Don't mind the "haters" shawaii. A lot of them who hate Camaro mirrors are the same ones who drool over an LS1 in the back of a 914. av-943.gif

If you want a more modern mirror, but something that is closer in size and styling, there is a thread here from some time ago where someone fitted late 90's Oldsmobile Delta 88 mirrors. I think there is also a Buick equivalent. Anyhow, I thought they looked cool, and to boot, they're electric. But what do I know. confused24.gif

Edit: Here's the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=mirrors
Larmo63
I'm partial to what the original designers intended. Many 914 race cars and even the real GTs used the stock mirror. I think you can't go wrong with it. To my eye, they look the best. I know some disagree.

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
I'm a big fan of the 911/944 style flag mirrors. Replace or fix your wobbly ones.
raw1298
I got a new pair cheap that are for a solstice. I saw it in a build thread and it looked good. Need to modify base to fit.
jimkelly
I think I like rx7 mirrors. to me, good door mirrors are very important.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=78520&hl=
Hank914
I loved the Mustang mirror thread! Mike/Cuda seemed to take the crap well. beer3.gif

"Replace or fix your wobbly ones."

So how does one fix the wobbly mirrors? At 75-80mph I have trouble ID-ing cops in my outside mirrors (and removed my center inside mirror). I don't want another ticket, and I'd love to fix my wobblies.

Who does that?
Larmo63
He even got some crap about them last weekend from a pelican in Oceanside.
shawaii
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 22 2016, 04:13 PM) *

Don't mind the "haters" shawaii. A lot of them who hate Camaro mirrors are the same ones who drool over an LS1 in the back of a 914. av-943.gif

If you want a more modern mirror, but something that is closer in size and styling, there is a thread here from some time ago where someone fitted late 90's Oldsmobile Delta 88 mirrors. I think there is also a Buick equivalent. Anyhow, I thought they looked cool, and to boot, they're electric. But what do I know. confused24.gif

Edit: Here's the thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=mirrors

I like the look of those rounded mirrors with the flared fenders, and the installation gives me food for though. I have normal fenders and think a more angular mirror shape fits better. I have thick skin and welcome all input...I knew what would come when I posted the topic.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 22 2016, 07:39 PM) *

I loved the Mustang mirror thread! Mike/Cuda seemed to take the crap well. beer3.gif

So how does one fix the wobbly mirrors? At 75-80mph I have trouble ID-ing cops in my outside mirrors (and removed my center inside mirror). I don't want another ticket, and I'd love to fix my wobblies.

Who does that?

I fabricated a curved piece of metal with holes the same size as the holes in the door for the inside of the door and was able to tighten up the mirrors so they don't wobble. I would take a picture but it would mean taking the door panel off and I don't want to do that. My mirrors don't wobble. laugh.gif
Hank914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 22 2016, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 22 2016, 07:39 PM) *

Who does that?

I fabricated a curved piece of metal with holes the same size as the holes in the door for the inside of the door and was able to tighten up the mirrors so they don't wobble. I would take a picture but it would mean taking the door panel off and I don't want to do that. My mirrors don't wobble. laugh.gif

OK And also threaded the curved piece of metal so the screws go through the door and into the curved piece also? Did you have to get longer screws?
shawaii
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 22 2016, 06:02 PM) *

He even got some crap about them last weekend from a pelican in Oceanside.

Maybe I'll one-up his 1973 mustang mirrors and get some 2105 versions! Just to take the heat off of him for a while. I was behind a new Vette today and noticed a similar mounting angle there too.
Cuda911
Indeed. Just a couple days ago, a toothless panhandler staggered up to me and sputtered " Cool mirrors. Can I have a dollar?"
maddin
I'm somehow surprised nobody has considered a Talbot style mirror on a 914. They are period and look great...but I've not seen one on a 914...yet! ;-)
<---- There's one...
carr914
QUOTE(Hank914 @ Jan 22 2016, 10:39 PM) *

Who does that?

There is a Allen Head Adjustment screw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.