Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: semi bad weather drive today - east coast
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
the roads were all snow free till I reached my community and then I realized my car sucks big time in snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkLs0AxzgrM
r_towle
Good tires and sand bags in the back of the trunk help.
rgalla9146
Jim.... what is the small black appendage above your left park/ directional light ?
Do they salt the cars for winter in your community ?
jimkelly
that is a (temporary) little light that comes on when my radiator fans are ON.
Elliot Cannon
WTF.gif Semi-bad weather?? For me that's drive home, jump into bed, assume the fetal position, turn up the electric blanket to "10" kind of weather. av-943.gif
wes
Here in California we drive to the mountains to see that kind of weather, usually with a four-wheel-drive truck and only for the weekend.
Amphicar770
Even worse is what the road salt will do to it. sad.gif

Winter tires make all the difference on any vehicle. With even the slightest snow, my Jag XJR can not even move on flat ground (no exaggeration, I learned from experience), with a set of winter tires mounted it is like a snow cat.

Bruce Hinds
I used to love driving my v8 teener in the snow when I lived in Colorado. With the right tires it's a hoot and CO doesn't use any salt!
jimkelly
VA DE & MD use salt liberally. I was driving on a 2 lane hwy when a plow spreading salt passed me in the opposite direction, it was almost like a small shot gun blast of small rocks mad.gif

so far only 3 inches or so or snow BUT my house lights have been flickering for past few minutes. please POWER... do not go out...
era vulgaris
They salt the crap out of the roads here in NC too, I assume because they don't have enough plows to get around. I'm not going to be able to drive for a while until we get some rain to wash it all away. mad.gif

Jim, at least your power is still on. Mine's been out since 4pm yesterday and Duke Power still has no estimate for when it'll be back on headbang.gif
My girlfriend and I are hanging out at a friend's place who still has power.

Having been born originally in warmth of El Cajon, I stick to my conviction that winter is the WORST season of all of them.
jimkelly
I agree. I could live without winter without any hesitation. and cold weather makes working on cars completely unattractive.
RickS
It sucks but you are passing everyone? My definition would be staying in the right lane under the limit trying to keep control while everyone passes me.
jd74914
I always found it safer to drive faster than everyone since you then don't need to worry about getting rear ended, etc. 914's are awesome in the snow on snow tires. When my was a DD I used to pass everyone until the snow was deeper than the spoiler. laugh.gif The salt really does a number on the underbody though. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.