Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boge Strut Insert Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
Hello,
I'm in the process of refreshing the front end of my '74. I was able to find a pair of NOS Boge inserts. The instructions in the box specify the use of 50cc of motor oil to poured into the strut. My research revealed that this is intended to dissipate heat. There was no oil in the strut when I removed the old Boge inserts. Is adding oil still recommended?

The instructions also specifiy the use of "centering bushings" which I don't have and weren't used by the PO. It would seem that the gland nut would serve to adequately center the insert but I only want to do this one time. Can anyone suggest what to use for a centering bushing or if it's actually necessary? I was thinking of using a strip of 3/4" dense foam insulating tape around the circumference of the insert but I'm new to this and would welcome suggestions to keep me out of trouble.

Thank you,

Jack
porschetub
QUOTE(jack20 @ Jan 24 2016, 06:47 AM) *

Hello,
I'm in the process of refreshing the front end of my '74. I was able to find a pair of NOS Boge inserts. The instructions in the box specify the use of 50cc of motor oil to poured into the strut. My research revealed that this is intended to dissipate heat. There was no oil in the strut when I removed the old Boge inserts. Is adding oil still recommended?

The instructions also specifiy the use of "centering bushings" which I don't have and weren't used by the PO. It would seem that the gland nut would serve to adequately center the insert but I only want to do this one time. Can anyone suggest what to use for a centering bushing or if it's actually necessary? I was thinking of using a strip of 3/4" dense foam insulating tape around the circumference of the insert but I'm new to this and would welcome suggestions to keep me out of trouble.

Thank you,

Jack

Have seen mention of adding oil with this brand of insert before,never have because I have never seen that oil with the old ones,can't hurt to put it in there however.
I have made the centering bush out of shim stock with VW Golf Boge-Saches inserts,I found it locates the lower half much better.
You could look @ a local engineering shop machining some up for you in nylon,or find a suitably sized piece of plastic pipe to make a sleeve,post some pics to give all a better idea...it might help you,cheers.
914Sixer
Factory strut cap nut centers the insert. Yes it is a good idea to put the oil in the bottom of the strut IF it is hydraulic.
jack20
Thanks.
I'm not able to post any pictures right now. I'm away from home.
Does anyone know what material the original centering bushings were made of? I could rely on the nut but I'd like to give the inserts the support that was originally intended.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.