Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A liitle work to Otis Jr begins!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimmyG
Starting off with a little documentation of my work. Picked up this car from a nice fellow in OK back in May for my daughter to play around with. Its a almost rust free / crash free and doesnt need a bunch. 914 LTD did a lot of work on the car for the PO so its in nice shape. The original engine was removed and a 2.0 from a donor car would put in but the case and heads had not been restored so that is where I am going to begin.
I have a few things that I am going to do:

Relocated the fuel pump to the front

Put stainless fuel lines through the tunnel

Reconditioned petal assembly with a -6 thottle advance (cruise control)
and Al petal board

A new windshield wiper switch with a pump to give me intermittent wipers and fluid pump

A used combo guage with temp sensor to keep up with the oil temp
(Later plan on sending guages off to North Hollywood for reconditioning)

Ordered the LED rear lights to put in
(Getting the fronts when available)

The cars name is Otis Jr named by my 15 year old boss and car owner Meredith! biggrin.gif
I am trying to get the car ready for summer and the fall event here in the southeast.
If you see something that I am missing let me know. I live with a wife am 3 daughters so I am a bit distracted!
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
jmill
Beautiful car! wub.gif

I'd lose the lead acid battery. Other than that, just driving.gif
JimmyG
JimmyG
Yep.. Battery gone to an optima. and Thanks! I think we will enjoy it!
JimmyG
I do have a question or two along the way,
First on is shinning up the case and fan housing.I cleaned it with a pressure washer and degreaser and its clean and all but would like for it to be a bit brighter without painting. I would think there would be some kind of etching chemical still available that would show the beauty of the aluminum. Is there something out there like what I am thinking?
r3dplanet
I've never had good results with a off-the-shelf chemical cleaning with these or other (BMW motorcycle) aluminum alloy cases. Others may have had better results than I have. I'm rebuilding my 1911cc engine now and just went through this a few months back. I tried the usual tricks -> vinegar, kerosene, oven cleaner, Aluma-Brite, etc. I also brought my case halves to a professional commercial metal cleaner that specializes in chemical cleaning. The cases halves came back "clean," but still very stained and oxidized-looking.

[At this point I had all of the machine work done including an align-bore, check for cracks, galley plugs removed/drilled/tapped, etc.]

Finally I just spent some Quality Time with my rotary tool and a bunch of small brass cone brushes that I bought from McMcaster-Carr.

When I finished with that I used some elbow grease, denatured alcohol, and a ton of white coffee filters to make sure that every last pore was spotless. The alcohol does all the work, the white coffee filters are lint-free and show how clean the surface is. When the filter comes out clean, that part of the case is actually clean.

When finished it looked super but I knew it would oxidize again, so I then painted the exterior of the case with POR-15 engine enamel as a prevention measure. Others will say not to paint the case but I don't see why not. I didn't paint the case for bling value, but just so the next time I rebuild the engine I don't have to go through that insane cleaning process again. It's much easier to remove paint (even POR-15) than it is to remove all the aluminum oxidation and build-up.

I realize that none of this is at all necessary. If I were on the clock there is no way I would do this. But since I had the time and the inclination I just went with it. I'm super pleased with how my case came out. It was a great way to pass long winter evenings.

-marcus

QUOTE(JimmyG @ Jan 24 2016, 08:10 AM) *

I do have a question or two along the way,
First on is shinning up the case and fan housing.I cleaned it with a pressure washer and degreaser and its clean and all but would like for it to be a bite brighter without painting. I would think there would be some kind of etching chemical still available that would show the beauty of the aluminum. Is there something out there like what I am thinking?

stevegm
Welcome. Very nice looking car. Love the color. I just rebuilt a 2.0 liter, with John Forbes' (Black Forest Racing) help and guidance. We wrote a how-to article on the rebuild, for the current issue of the magazine. It might be helpful.
PanelBilly
I had mine bead blasted and it looked great

Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Thats Great info on what you have tried and done Marcus! I have no problem with folks painting ,but its not for me. I will follow your pattern to clean it up.

I will look up the article Steve. I guess I can find at Black Forest Racing?

Fan housing looks Great PanelBilly! I will do that for that part. Correct me if I am wrong,but if memory serves the housing is all you see except for the bottom right?

Jimmy
r3dplanet
Jimmy,

About halfway down this page on one of my threads I detail the cleaning process a little better. The process is the same that I used for cleaning the exterior of my 1.7 liter case.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...rvair&st=80

A great video on this procedure is from a favorite YouTube channel of mine, Jafromobile. He performed the same Glyptal application process that I did but explained it in much better detail. However his cleaning process is exactly the same one I use. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CKFnRHA3c

I love how fast and clean blasting works, but I necessarily fear leaving blasting media in the case someplace. Maybe soda would be safe but, you know, I like to do things my own way until I find a better way.

-marcus

QUOTE(JimmyG @ Jan 24 2016, 01:09 PM) *

Thats Great info on what you have tried and done Marcus! I have no problem with folks painting ,but its not for me. I will follow your pattern to clean it up.

I will look up the article Steve. I guess I can find at Black Forest Racing?

Fan housing looks Great PanelBilly! I will do that for that part. Correct me if I am wrong,but if memory serves the housing is all you see except for the bottom right?

Jimmy

JimmyG
Marcus
Absolutely agree about using glass media on the case! The fan housing would be the only thing I would consider.I will take a look in a day or two at the videos and get back.
JimmyG
Got started on the work on Otis Jr in the past week. Got the new fuel lines in.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Another Click to view attachment
JimmyG
I added H4 headlamps that I had from an earlier project. Plastic primed and painted the surrounds..Hope it turns out OK
JimmyG
Never miss an opportunity to clean even in areas that no one sees. I clean car is a happy car!
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JimmyG
Got the new electrical survice line made and the hole cut as seen in an earlier pic and the pump relocated.

Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Almost forgot. I also Put in Spoke's rear LED set up. Looks and works great! I don't have a finish pic of that for some reason, Had a new set of euro rears lenses I added.
Trying to get in touch with Spoke to get the front set.
Also my daughter who will be driving this car having to clen the overspray off the leads so we could see the dang colors!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Also had a -6 trottle advance I think that is what you call I had made for a -6 conversion that I put in for cruise control I hope.

JimmyG
Click to view attachment
JimmyG
Started on the dash after that...which took some time.
First the light switch had toasted the wire that goes to the green driving lights on light located in the speedo. I am really surprised this did not cause a fire ir major wiring damage. Somebody had noticed and put a long piece of plastic black tape over it like a blanket over a major bleeder! This started this off. Learned a lot about the older and newer switchs though, so it wasnt all bad. Want to see a tread on changing from older to newer, I have a bunch of the newer ones.

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
JimmyG
After correcting the light wiring and replacing the switch. I moved on to the newer aftermarket wiper switch with intermittient swipe and a real pump like the -6 for window washing. I must have started wanting to see the end ,my pics got less frequent.

Click to view attachment
JimmyG
As I moved on, the dash material was just falling off so I went on and replaced it too while I had the car down this far.I put in a CDR220 for the tunes and built two 6x9 boxes for the floor. It sounds great ..hope it works great and does'nt get in the way.
BTW. located the temp wire in the harness and set-up a temp guage like the -6. later I will get hollywood speedo to do the faces like -6 and keep some -4 look to bring the two together for a nice look...later when I have some money!

JimmyG
JimmyG
JimmyG
OK Here I am to do the 2056! Looking forward to doing the work in a couple weeks when I am on vacation again.
Can anyone tell me of a real good simple engine build thread to get myself all fresh on this. Don't want to screw up!

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.