Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fire wall liner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Is the heavy rubber like fire wall liner necessary or does dynomat or
similar sound mat just as good?
Thanks Brian confused24.gif
dflesburg
we use hood liner in the engine bay and dyno mat in the passenger compartment in our cars and it is good.

I don't like it on the floor surfaces as it can trap water, we put it on the underside of the floor mats....
80cap
What is hood liner?
Brian
Garland
Here's a factory pad. I'm debating what to use to attach it with. I'm thinking something other then glue, any ideas?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
cary
Here's what 914 Rubber sells.
http://shop.914rubber.com/Fireall-backpad-foil-914FWF.htm
Mikey914
I also have the rubber aircraft firewall material precut at $120 a pop (just not listed as we just completed another run. I would use Velcro to attach as you can easily remove later.
80cap
The 914 rubber pad goes on the engine side.
The one pictured above is the interior pad.
That is the one I'm referring to.
Brian
saigon71
I went with Rattle Trap on the inside (similar to dynomat but slightly thicker) and a firewall pad from 914 rubber on the engine side. Gives a comfortable sound level in the cabin.

r_towle
QUOTE(Garland @ Jan 24 2016, 10:26 AM) *

Here's a factory pad. I'm debating what to use to attach it with. I'm thinking something other then glue, any ideas?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That rubber piece does two things
It blocks a specific set of sound frequencies.
It blocks noisy vibration if firmly attached to the firewall.

So, how you attach it will determine how good it works.
Noise is both sound frequencies and sound vibration....

Velcro (the 3m command strips are very strong) may be a choice that could work.
Dave_Darling
Early 914s and 914-6es did not have the pad on the engine bay side of the firewall. Its primary purpose any more seems to be to hold water against the wall, promoting rust. Mine is long gone.

--DD
Garland
Went ahead and glued it on, used 3M super 77 both surfaces. Wanted It to lay down flat, some areas required a little heat to level out. Even found the part number.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
Cool, that will work.
dflesburg
hood liner is like dyno mat but thermal and thicker. google it

Larmo63
I took Dave's advice, and just now ripped all that shit off of the firewall in the black car. Removed, vacuumed, and cleaned up in there. That is all the fiber pad really does, is make the firewall inside the engine compartment rusty, and cause you to haul around extra dead weight. What a POS.
Mikey914
Sorry, thought you were talking about the engine side
I did replace mine with dynamat. Lighter and more sound deadning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.