Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker & Bumper Refinishing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Samoroso72
I am restoring a 1972 and need information on paint colors. I have the info for the body color but can't find information on the rockers. I would like to paint them black to match factory specs, but can't find the color and finish (matte, satin ???). Also, I will be refinishing and painting the front and rear bumpers. We're they painted to match color and finish of the rockers or something else.

Any help with be appreciated.
porbmw
This has been discussed a number of times, in various threads.

IF you are better at doing a "search" than I, you will find a variety of answers.

If not, I am sure someone will provide you with a whole lot more help than I have, with this response.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that they are a satin finish ,with no texture. Others believe texture was OEM.
They, with respect...are incorrect biggrin.gif
toolguy
The easiest paint to get is Trim Black by SEM. .
Anymore getting a semigloss from an auto paint store is near impossible where i live. .
They don't want to be responsible for the percent of flattening agent The will sell you separate agent and it's up to you to mix for the correct gloss you want. .
With the SEM trim black you get the same thing every time. .
Tom_T
OE finish was Satin, but Semi-Flat can work too (or Semi-gloss, but that's a bit shinier than OE), & Dave's SEM suggestion is one good one, or IIRC Wurth sells Satin or Semi-Flat Black.

TC's Garage in vendor ads at the top/bottom of the page carries/orders it, & the the Shutz below, & IIRC they give PCA members a discount as well.

You'll also need the Wurth Shutz texture under the paint, & there's a nailed thread in O&H on that finish - or PM to Pat Garvey/PIG the Mod for O&H for how to do it.

The rockers, F & R valances, & black painted bumpers were all the same finish.

PS - however, your 72 bumpers would've had either the smooth gloss body matching color if painted bumpers, or else chrome - as 70-72 had body color painted or chrome, 73-74 had the textured black only painted or chrome, & 75-76 had the black rubber "big bumpers".

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mark04usa
agree.gif Yes, the rockers and valances were satin black with a light texture under the paint. I know this because I worked at the Porsche dealer here in Austin in the '70's when these cars were new and drove and worked on many of them, and have owned a quite original car for 40 years. Should be no disagreement on this...
Pat Garvey
I've said it many times before & I'll say it again...there was 3M BodyShutz under the satin black paint on the rocker cover, front pan & rear pan. Agree with me or not - that is what my '72 was delivered with.
I repeat, never use the Shutz from a spray can. Get the gun & throw it on at no more than 35psi. It needs to be a semi-smooth coating, finished by stain black.
Geez people, how many times do we have to do this?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.