Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gasket/washer replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
Hi,

I need to replace the washers on the feed and return tubes on the gas tank.
This is my second go around with this and I really don't want to do it again!
I'm guessing I can go to the local hardware store or automotive store for these, but one of the gaskets is copper and the other is/was some sort of gasket material that is torn.
So, what is my best option for replacements?
What is going to seal the best and have less chance of leaking?

Thanks
Steve
Mark Henry
The "gasket material that was torn" is likely the in tank fuel sock.
It's a copper mesh sock with an aluminum gasket.
The rest of the sock is likely crusted in place or still in the bottom of the tank.

Best to remove the tank, thoroughly clean it and replace the hoses while you're at it.
Mikey914
These may be helpful on the bottom end while you are there-
http://shop.914rubber.com/Fuel-filter-and-...m?categoryId=-1

Also make sure you use neoprene that is rated for fuel contact if you cut your own or they will get gummy and can leak.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 24 2016, 01:09 PM) *

These may be helpful on the bottom end while you are there-
http://shop.914rubber.com/Fuel-filter-and-...m?categoryId=-1

Also make sure you use neoprene that is rated for fuel contact if you cut your own or they will get gummy and can leak.

I hate to say this, there was a time I would say German braided was the only fuel line you should ever use, but I have not been impressed with the German braided fuel line in quite some time.
914Sixer
You should be using FIBER washer on the fuel tank nipples. As for the hose, I would go to FLAPS and get ethanol rated fuel line in the correct size. I know from not using the correct hose the line WILL deteriorate with ethanol gas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.