Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: F1 engine test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sgomes
Click Here

It doesn't hit peak RPMs until a little ways into the clip.

and um...that exhaust looks a little warm..... unsure.gif
bondo
I think this WOT stands for wide open throttle smile.gif

Talk about throtle response.. I bet that thing has a light flywheel smile.gif
bd1308
laugh.gif this download speed is like the kind i get from my server...... laugh.gif

ohmy.gif damn....what's glowing and shooting out blue flames??????
BMartin914
Incredible piece of automotive engineering! Is that the McLaren team or Minardi?

damn....what's glowing and shooting out blue flames??????

Those would be the headers.

seanery
that looks like footage of the defunct Tom Walkinshaw "Arrows" team.
lapuwali
QUOTE (bondo @ Mar 18 2005, 09:30 AM)
I think this WOT stands for wide open throttle smile.gif

Talk about throtle response.. I bet that thing has a light flywheel smile.gif

Not only a light flywheel, but they use multi-plate clutches that are something like 4in in diameter. All the better to keep the engine small, the the crank centerline as low as possible, so they have a CG as low as possible. There's also a lot less oil being flung around, as they not only are dry-sumped, but they have 8 or more scavenge pumps and manage to keep the crankcase well below atmospheric pressure. No oiling problems even when held at 4G of corner for several seconds at a time.
bd1308
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Mar 18 2005, 12:14 PM)
damn....what's glowing and shooting out blue flames??????

Those would be the headers.

thats incredible, make lots of noise and grill burgers at the same time biggrin.gif laugh.gif
ChrisReale
To me F1 is the epitomy of what racing is all about. Yea the cars are fast, but the whole team effort and the engineering aspect of it is what Im talking about. Those cars are amazing. The ammount of testing and trial and error that goes into the finished product is amazing. To think that an engine can rev to 18K rpms and make power and not blow up is unbelievable. I love it!
BMartin914
To me F1 is the epitomy of what racing is all about.

agree.gif

They also don't use piston rings because the tolerances are so tight they don't need them.

It is also nice to see some other teams making a run at the championship besides Ferrari, but we'll see, as the season is only one race old.
seanery
The rules this year are a bit odd if you ask me:
1. Engines must be used (and sealed) for 2 race weekends
2. 1 Set of Tires for the race and one for practice

I like the qualifying this year though. I think the F2005 will be
here for the next race in Bahrain and you'll see Ferrari right
where they belong...in the front.
BMartin914
You have to admit that it does get *a little* boring when you know M. Schumacher is going to win and chances are, Rubens will be right behind him. I was surprised to see Renault putting up such good lap times, and for their second (third?) year out, Toyota put up some pretty good practice lap times.
seanery
did you watch practice last night?

I think the engine rule will hurt Friday and Saturday attendance #s at the venues. The teams that only use 2 drivers did very limited practice, most drivers making only 3 timed laps before coming in or spinning...lots of spins into the kitty litter last night.
BMartin914
I didn't catch last night's practice. This weekend is Malaysia right? So qualifying should be tonight some time? I will definitely catch it.

I think the new rules are good and bad. I know that they were limited to one engine per race weekend last year, but now they have extended that to 2 weekends? All in the name of closer competition I guess.

And Sean...Can you tell me why Michael ended up at the back of the pack last race? I didn't catch what put him there.

seanery
Michael got caught in the rain during his 1st round qualifying lap. It had been dry so they switched tires, then a deluge started and since he was on the wrong tires he spun. He didn't go out Sunday for the 2nd qualifying since he would be in the back anyway.

This weekend is Malaysia...it was 104 during 2nd practice yesterday (well, today - Friday- officially). Humidity was a low 40% it's usually in the 80-90% mark there.

The FIA closed the loophole for replacing an engine if the car doesn't finish the race by saying, if the withdrawal isn't mechanical or isn't suspected as mechanical than the team would have to answer to scrutinizing by the FIA for an engine change.

1st round qualifying is on at 12:30am EST tonite
2nd round qualifying is on at 12:30am EST Sat night (Sunday AM)
Race is on at 1:30 am Sat night (Sunday AM)
lapuwali
QUOTE (seanery @ Mar 18 2005, 11:51 AM)
The rules this year are a bit odd if you ask me:
1. Engines must be used (and sealed) for 2 race weekends
2. 1 Set of Tires for the race and one for practice

I like the qualifying this year though. I think the F2005 will be
here for the next race in Bahrain and you'll see Ferrari right
where they belong...in the front.

The rules have been odd, and getting odder, for quite some time. The FIA is currently totally clueless as to how to actually reach their goals, mostly because they don't seem to really understand their own goals.

We need to cut costs: so next year, we're going to force you to completely redesign all of your engines to 2.4L V8s.
We need better safety: so we're going to force you to run on worn-out tires, but you can continue to use unlimited size pit crews and refuel.

Basically, they're still torn between keeping it a sport, or just throwing in the towel and heading into NASCAR land and concentrate on "the show".

If I were F1 dictator:

Reduce pit stops, which really don't improve the racing or the show. Do this by making pit stops very expensive, by simply reducing the number of people allowed to touch the car during a stop to, say, three (not including the driver). Tire changes could be made for safety reasons (puncture), but would be slow, so no one would make them unless they had to. Fewer crewmen to get hit during stops, and fewer to transport to each race. No one complained about the racing or the show in the 1960s, and no one made stops.

Go back to qualifying the way it used to be: one hour on Friday, another hour on Saturday, everyone out at once. Best single time counts. This reduces the chances of weather upsetting things, and provides more to see. Encourage everyone to use all of both hours by giving one point to the car that's turned the best lap time in each 30 min section. So, four points available during qualifying. No restrictions on tires, but the same engine and chassis used during qualifying has to be used during the race (no qually specials that only last for two laps). Blow up the engine or crash, and you start at the back. Increase the points to 15 for a win, 10 for second, 5 for third, then 4, 3, 2, 1. A team acing qualifying but not finishing the race still gets 4th place points. Acing qualifying and winning still isn't 2x second place.

Drop the requirement that a team make their own chassis. Privateers can be very healthy for the sport and the size of the grid, but the current system requires way too much infrastructure to have a team. Good privateers can still win.

Completely remove all current technical regulations and replace them with a set of crash protection regulations (driver cell must experience less than Xg for Nseconds in an impact of a given force, with a set of impacts defined from above, to the sides, front, and rear). No other regulations. Let physics determine the best power to weight v tire life v fuel use v aerodynamics. If the engines make 2000hp and still last the whole qualifying and race, and don't destroy their tires, and the drivers can keep them on the track, what's the problem? Racing at this level should be expensive. If it's too expensive, the problem will solve itself, as teams will simply expire from lack of money. One team dominating from spending more than anyone else won't last forever, and putting in a zillion rules won't stop it (viz. Ferrari over the past 6 seasons), so don't even bother trying. This also ties in well with the previous rule, since a few manufacturers could be more cars, and thus afford to pass even tougher crash requirements.
nebreitling
holy s--- that engine is manly.
ChrisReale
Not sure how 1 set of tires per race is going to work out. I always wondered what oil temps and water temps those cars run....I have a F1 magazine and I think they use 0w40 or 0w-60 oil...
fiid
Now that shit would truly kick ass in a 914. With a 7-speed fully sequential tranny to boot?

Awesome.

BMartin914
Now that shit would truly kick ass in a 914. With a 7-speed fully sequential tranny to boot?

If you had an f1 setup in a 914, I don't think you could do ANYTHING. You would just spin the tires for days. The whole car is working in unison on the very edge. The aerodynamics, the tires, the engine, the electronics to perform like it does.

Doesn' mean I wouldn't like to see someone try. cool.gif
ChrisReale
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Mar 18 2005, 01:10 PM)

Where's Mueller?
SLITS
Sounds exactly like my 2.0 4 banger at speed smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
and then to think this is the crappiest team out there blink.gif
Minardi... the team Dutch drivers are doomed to laugh.gif
scotty914
i wonder what the torque curve looks like
URY914
I emailed them to see if they would loan me a spare engine for an autox.

They haven't replied sad.gif

Paul
physician
QUOTE (BMartin914 @ Mar 18 2005, 01:10 PM)

If you had an f1 setup in a 914, I don't think you could do ANYTHING. You would just spin the tires for days. The whole car is working in unison on the very edge. The aerodynamics, the tires, the engine, the electronics to perform like it does.

ok so let's detune it to 750 hp .. that will make it last a bit longer to.. lol

even 600hp would be great if it make it last 3000miles..lol

why it shout flames? never see it on tv..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.