Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airtex Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PlantMan
So I got an Airtek pump installed this afternoon and after some troubleshooting I was able to get the pump running. However, the pump is not sucking fuel and I can't imagine it would need to be primed???
The tank was dry so I added 2 gallons which I can now see in the tunnel fuel line (yes I have the old lines in the tunnel still).
The pump is located on the firewall not in the original location. With the firewall mounting the inlet is very close to the tunnel so routing the lines to the inlet requires a couple 90 deg sweeps up to the inlet with the filter in between.
The only reason I can think of for the pump not sucking would be:
1) Faulty pump
2) Leak somewhere in-between the pump and where the line exits the tunnel
3) Bad fuel filter
4) Maybe my 90 deg sweeps to the pump are to restricting??? Perhaps I should run a length of pipe around the pump that sweeps into the pump inlet???

I know a few others here have used this pump which seems to work very well.

Anything you can offer would be helpful!

Many thanks!

TravisNeff
I didn't need to prime the airtex pump I put in. I did cycle the key about 15 times to run the pump until I heard the burbles of air come back to the tanks return line
porschetub
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Jan 25 2016, 04:24 PM) *

So I got an Airtek pump installed this afternoon and after some troubleshooting I was able to get the pump running. However, the pump is not sucking fuel and I can't imagine it would need to be primed???
The tank was dry so I added 2 gallons which I can now see in the tunnel fuel line (yes I have the old lines in the tunnel still).
The pump is located on the firewall not in the original location. With the firewall mounting the inlet is very close to the tunnel so routing the lines to the inlet requires a couple 90 deg sweeps up to the inlet with the filter in between.
1) Faulty pump
3) Bad fuel filter
4) Maybe my 90 deg sweeps to the pump are to restricting??? Perhaps I should run a length of pipe around the pump that sweeps into the pump inlet???

You may have your pump mounted to high,try adding more fuel to the tank and if it primes its to high.
These pumps are good @ pushing fuel not sucking it,the 914 is one of the few FI cars I have worked that has the pump mounted so far away from the tank,did Porsche really move it to the front because of vapour lock confused24.gif .
My Carter pump is mounted on the front alloy crossmember under the tank,not ideal but the best for suction from the tank.

Many thanks!

PlantMan
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 25 2016, 12:08 AM) *

1) Faulty pump
3) Bad fuel filter

You may have your pump mounted to high,try adding more fuel to the tank and if it primes its to high.
These pumps are good @ pushing fuel not sucking it,the 914 is one of the few FI cars I have worked that has the pump mounted so far away from the tank,did Porsche really move it to the front because of vapour lock confused24.gif .
My Carter pump is mounted on the front alloy crossmember under the tank,not ideal but the best for suction from the tank.

Many thanks!

Thanks.
My thought too. The car is not currently on the road but I like to start it once a week to keep the fluids moving, etc. I don't like to keep more gas than necessary but I will add a little more this time around and see if I can get it to prime. If I ever run out of gas I wonder if I will be able to get it started???
porschetub
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Jan 26 2016, 04:23 AM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 25 2016, 12:08 AM) *

1) Faulty pump
3) Bad fuel filter

Many thanks!

Thanks.
My thought too. The car is not currently on the road but I like to start it once a week to keep the fluids moving, etc. I don't like to keep more gas than necessary but I will add a little more this time around and see if I can get it to prime. If I ever run out of gas I wonder if I will be able to get it started???

Its possible you may run out of gas with fuel in your tank,post a pic of you pump location that may help.
Most pumps (rotary) benefit from a little head from the tank even if its a small amount,means you don't run it dry ...they hate that, beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.