Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator Ground Strap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stinkindiesel
I've heard from some that there was originally a ground strap on the alternator. Others seem to indicate this wasn't the case.

I see a ground strap listed in the PET (901 612 110 00) but no real indication of how it was connected. Obviously, one end goes on the alternator, but could anyone enlighten me as to where the other end would have been connected?

Gary
drgchapman
There is a significant ground strap from the transmission to the body. Not sure about the alternator...
rgalla9146
It goes to one of the studs on the top of the block behind the alt.
But.... I just looked at a 3.0 ( the only six cyl. accessible at the moment) to see which stud and to my surprise there is no evidence there was a ground attached
to any of them. ?
I don't remember ever seeing a 911 without one.
porschetub
QUOTE(stinkindiesel @ Jan 26 2016, 08:56 AM) *

I've heard from some that there was originally a ground strap on the alternator. Others seem to indicate this wasn't the case.

I see a ground strap listed in the PET (901 612 110 00) but no real indication of how it was connected. Obviously, one end goes on the alternator, but could anyone enlighten me as to where the other end would have been connected?

Gary

Engine case to altenator on my 71 six,not a great idea cause it bolts to the altenator over the fiberglass fan air deflector ,to me not a great contact point.

stinkindiesel
The application I'm talking about is a 1.7L 4, not a 6.

The PET shows the strap in group 9 (901: regulator to be exact), and implies it would have been used on both 4 and 6 applications. Interesting that some applications seem to have it and others don't.

Gary
rgalla9146
[quote name='stinkindiesel' date='Jan 27 2016, 02:06 PM' post='2294989']
The application I'm talking about is a 1.7L 4, not a 6.

The PET shows the strap in group 9 (901: regulator to be exact), and implies it would have been used on both 4 and 6 applications. Interesting that some applications seem to have it and others don't.

Gary
[/quot

I saw your avatar with the 911S piston and just assumed......
stinkindiesel

[/quot

I saw your avatar with the 911S piston and just assumed......
[/quote]

Unfortunately, that piston is all I have left of the 1969 911E. Those were the days before kids 3 and 4 came along...

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.