Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks like I need a reputable T4 builder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RoadGlue
Hey all,

My good friend here in Santa Rosa is both a machinist and Porsche/VW engine builder and volunteered nearly two years ago to build a T4 motor for me (he did once before, about ten years ago) at his regular shop rates. His attention to detail and 40+ years of experience are hard to come by. Frankly I'm worried about having someone else build the motor as I've seen too many and heard too many stories of shoddy T4 builds

Two years on though and the only work that's been done is removing the valves from the heads. He's really busy and because I'm a friend he doesn't want to charge me. At the same time he can't justify working for free. I love the guy, but that's just screwy.gif - I know what his time is worth and I've even offered to pay in advance.

It's a lost cause now and thankfully it hasn't hurt our friendship. I'm getting the motor back (have about 75% of everything I need) next week. Now what? I'm frustrated by the fact that we didn't come to this realization 16 months ago. No use crying over spilt milk.

I'd like to find someone in the SF Bay Area, but I'm willing to ship all the parts out and pay freight to have the motor shipped back to me. Building it myself simply isn't an option I want to go down.

It's a short stroke 1911 with a lively cam, 40 IDFs, possibly 2.0 heads... nothing crazy or special.

Any recommendations?

Sigh!
r_towle
Pm sent
ConeDodger
Mark? blink.gif
bfrymire
Randy said "SF Bay Area..."
ConeDodger
I can read. It says " but I'm willing to ship..."
Old Yella
FAT Performance. Ship it to them in Anaheim CA, you won't be sorry.
PotterPorsche
BROTHERS VW MACHINE

http://brothersvwmachineshop.com/
McMark
I do still owe you for that boat anchor snafu. So if you want my help, I'm happy to help.
ConeDodger
Oh thank goodness! You two are finally going to get the infamous 'boat anchor snafu' out in the open... lol-2.gif av-943.gif
McMark
It wasn't a great day. sad.gif

IPB Image
RoadGlue
It's so hard seeing my boat like that, even after all this time...
ConeDodger
And now ya'll know why Mark moved to Grand Rapids... blink.gif happy11.gif w00t.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Jan 27 2016, 06:15 PM) *

Don't mention that to one member on here they screwed his AX motor and Greg @ FAT picked up the pieces,he built a gem for that member.
Not many have the long time experience of this company afterall.
Elliot Cannon
FAT Performance built my 2.2 liter 13 years ago. I've had a few issues but have been very happy with the engine. Still running strong. 147 hp @ 5300rpm. biggrin.gif
PancakePorsche
Absolutely FAT Performance. They build outstanding engines. Highly recommended.
EdwardBlume
I'm a fan of McMark, but if that doesn't work, Don down at Don's Autowerks in Campbell, might be a good place to consider...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.