Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprising Stripped Drain Plug Remedy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9

I recently uncrated and installed a "fresh" GEX T-IV engine here at S9.

I found a few flaws, as one might expect from GEX. Upon installation, it had a significant oil leak which I traced to a stripped drain plug.

I then noticed that the short factory plug (M14x1.5) only used about half the threads that were cut into the case.

I needed to start and move the car, so I looked for a temporary solution. What else has M14x1.5 threads? How about a lug bolt with a conical seat?

The stud is long enough to reach the unused upper threads and, to my surprise, has not leaked a single drop in over five weeks.

Just sayin'.

(The stud in the picture is not the one I used. I chose one with nice threads)

Valy
The problem is that the wheel stud seals on the cone and not on the nice flat surface as the oil drain plug. This ruins the threads on the case hole. One time you may be lucky, but it will eventually damage the threads. An other issue is that oil will lubricate the threads and cone and vibration will take the wheel stud out. It will happen out of the blue so be sure to check it often.
Series9
Oh, that's right, I have a lathe.

Who wants a full-thread-engagement drain plug?

beerchug.gif

7TPorsh
oooh, can you magnetize it?
Spoke
How much for one of those custom drain plugs?
Series9

That one was an old messed up lug bolt that I threw in the lathe for a quickie.

I actually ordered a hand full of new lug bolts that I'm going to carefully turn down into drain plugs.

I'm going to give out five of them for free, just to make sure they make a good seal.

After that, maybe $30 delivered.

Let's see how it goes. idea.gif
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 27 2016, 02:35 PM) *

I actually ordered a hand full of new lug bolts that I'm going to carefully turn down into drain plugs.

I'm going to give out five of them for free, just to make sure they make a good seal.

I'll be a guinea pig
bretth
That's a nice lathe project right there. smash.gif
Series9
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 27 2016, 05:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 27 2016, 02:35 PM) *

I'll be a guinea pig

Okay. PM your address and I'll send you one to test drive.

beerchug.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Series9 @ Jan 27 2016, 09:34 AM) *

I recently uncrated and installed a "fresh" GEX T-IV engine here at S9.

I found a few flaws, as one might expect from GEX. Upon installation, it had a significant oil leak which I traced to a stripped drain plug.

I then noticed that the short factory plug (M14x1.5) only used about half the threads that were cut into the case.

I needed to start and move the car, so I looked for a temporary solution. What else has M14x1.5 threads? How about a lug bolt with a conical seat?

The stud is long enough to reach the unused upper threads and, to my surprise, has not leaked a single drop in over five weeks.

Just sayin'.

(The stud in the picture is not the one I used. I chose one with nice threads)

Hi
Great Mcgiver !
I don't want to step on your excellent idea but......
The same failure happens to Vanagons and as far as I can tell the plug is the same as a 914/4
A deep- thread replacement plug is offered on The Samba.
As I recall it's about $10, has correct flat seat and comes with three copper washers.
Go to Samba classifieds, Vanagon/Eurovan parts and search "oil drain plug".
Series9
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 27 2016, 06:39 PM) *

Hi
Great Mcgiver !
I don't want to step on your excellent idea but......
The same failure happens to Vanagons and as far as I can tell the plug is the same as a 914/4
A deep- thread replacement plug is offered on The Samba.
As I recall it's about $10, has correct flat seat and comes with three copper washers.
Go to Samba classifieds, Vanagon/Eurovan parts and search "oil drain plug".

Yeah, that's fair. This has become more of an opportunity to learn some lathe techniques than anything else.

The real difference, my plugs are made in a Porsche shop. Porsche parts cost more. Everyone knows that. happy11.gif
913B
That's a great idea aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.