Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
Could I get enough heat to take the edge off and maybe defrost by running a duct behind a front oil cooler to the inside with maybe a slide valve?
Tom_T
John,

The typical solution is to add on the factory style 75-76 MY heater hose "Y" splitter at the fan with ducting to the right side tube on the Pass. Longs to the Pass. side vents & effectively doubling & better distributing airflow.

Ideally, Porsche/VW would've designed it with a fan each side L & R from the flapper boxes to both shorten the air hose run to the Pass. side & double the airflow from 2 dedicated fans. dry.gif

Also, warming the engine up will get it hotter in cold weather. that always worked for me, so long as the T-stat is properly set & operating.

And before you say we don't have any cold weather like yours in SoCal - I used to take my 914 up to local CA mountains, Mammoth, Tahoe & Utah etc. ski resorts in just as cold winters as you have, back when it was my DD 75-85.

IMHO your passing by the oil cooler would just introduce colder air - or not as warm nyway - into the ducting system.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
wndsnd
Hi Tom

I probably should have explained better. Doing a six conversion and thinking about headers without heater boxes.

I do not drive in winter here because of the salt, but I have thin blood and get chilled spring and fall, and would like defrost.

Front oil coolers are a pricey addition, but probably necessary and I thought I might extract some free heated air.
mepstein
John - I don't think you'll get enough heat off that cooler if any during the winter to make it viable. Chances are your on engine cooler is enough to keep the engine cool during the winter and not much hot oil will even head forward. I would go with heated seats (easy to retrofit) or heated seat covers. There should be enough juice from the 6 alternator to power them. Start out in a heated garage.
Spoke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 27 2016, 05:00 PM) *

Chances are your on engine cooler is enough to keep the engine cool during the winter and not much hot oil will even head forward.

agree.gif

In the winter, my 930 only gets hot enough until the oil cooler valve is opens. The engine temp stops abruptly at that point. In the summer, the engine temp cruises right by that point to a much hotter place.

BTW, if you use the oil cooler for heat, you won't have any heat until the oil cooler valve opens up.
wndsnd
Valid point. When it is cool enough for me to want heat, the front cooler would probably be bypassed.

r_towle
no, thermo dynamics....wont do what you need.

Rich
jmill
How about an electric one?

http://www.amazon.com/Heater-Craft-Electri...e/dp/B00CH3FQAW
jmill
Or this one?

http://www.my12voltstore.com/12_Volt_Ducte...p/sd12-4000.htm
wndsnd
40 amps!
914_teener
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 27 2016, 05:38 PM) *

40 amps!

No.

This idea was discussed to death a while back.
Tbrown4x4
I hope this fits the conversation. Is there any info on CFM for the heater blower in the back? I thought I read that a bilge fan (for instance) wouldn't have enough flow. I think 2 fans would be a good solution if you could find something compact enough.
r_towle
John, do you have headers or holy heat exchangers?
Either one, bring them over here, we can make it work.
wndsnd
QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 27 2016, 08:45 PM) *

40 amps!

No.

What electric? Or sucking off the front oil cooler?
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 27 2016, 09:21 PM) *

John, do you have headers or holy heat exchangers?
Either one, bring them over here, we can make it work.

Dreams right now ...
jmill
Ok, electric is out. Why not run two coolers up front with one as a heater core. You'd need to run two sets of lines up front or place the thermostat after the heater core cooler.
914_teener
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 27 2016, 06:34 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Jan 27 2016, 08:45 PM) *

40 amps!

No.

What electric? Or sucking off the front oil cooler?

Actually both....can.t find the thread right now.

Doesn.t Chris Foley make heater boxes for headers?
wndsnd
Yep, but not looking for heater boxes.
ThePaintedMan
Why is electric out? A couple years ago, as a poor grad student my main driver was down and I had to resort to driving the 914 about 1.5 hours to and from my internship during the winter. I ran a Harbor Freight 12V heater to take the edge off, though of course it doesn't produce feet-burning heat. It would blow fuses when plugged into the factory cigarette lighter outlet, so I wired 12V direct from the battery into the cabin with a 15A fuse. It's doable with a very small amount of work and easily reversible and contrary to popular belief, in a small car like a 914, it does make a difference. You could probably even get away with a larger heater, at least for short periods of time and the correct wiring and fuse.
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 27 2016, 11:54 PM) *

Yep, but not looking for heater boxes.

Ah yes, but they will find you.

The key is defrost to get to the event on time.

Oil, you would wait 30 minutes.

Look at the gas heaters, still available, bolt into the front trunk.
mepstein
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 28 2016, 12:32 AM) *

Why is electric out? A couple years ago, as a poor grad student my main driver was down and I had to resort to driving the 914 about 1.5 hours to and from my internship during the winter. I ran a Harbor Freight 12V heater to take the edge off, though of course it doesn't produce feet-burning heat. It would blow fuses when plugged into the factory cigarette lighter outlet, so I wired 12V direct from the battery into the cabin with a 15A fuse. It's doable with a very small amount of work and easily reversible and contrary to popular belief, in a small car like a 914, it does make a difference. You could probably even get away with a larger heater, at least for short periods of time and the correct wiring and fuse.

But you are in florida and john is in Massachusetts. He might have to stuff it down his pants before he felt any heat.
MJHanna
If I read it correctly YOU get cold. If that is what you are trying to warm up put seat warmers in your seats. they are easy to do and you can do both seat for about $80.00. They work great at taking the "chill' off your body.
worn
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 27 2016, 01:17 PM) *

Could I get enough heat to take the edge off and maybe defrost by running a duct behind a front oil cooler to the inside with maybe a slide valve?

I am looking at a diesel cabin heater. Wondering if it can go in the right rear fender well? Sort of a twin to the oil tank. Dimensions say it works, but anyone tried it? A good location for ducting into the existing ports.
JmuRiz
Just wait till mb911 comes out with his stainless heat exchangers biggrin.gif
wndsnd
All good suggestions.

I have one of those conversion spreadsheets that has way too many line items on it, and am looking for ways to cut it down and possibly get it done for this summer. If I have to put it off another year to finish so be it.

The 1.7 in it now has SS exchangers, flapper boxes, and everything but the original electric engine bay fan. It does basically just a good enough job to take the edge off. And yes, I don't have the blood circulation I used to...

The new engine is getting close to completion and I know when it is finished I will be antsy to get it in.
r_towle
Put on the header, don't worry about heat, get it running.

Rich
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 28 2016, 11:50 AM) *

Put on the header, don't worry about heat, get it running.

Rich

Kind of where I am at ....
PanelBilly
I was hoping for heat in my car too, but put that on the back burner till I get more details sorted out on my car.
74ravenna
John,

This is a pretty good match for you car. happy11.gif

Click to view attachment
wndsnd
Already got one w00t.gif
Jeffs9146

Eberspaecher Heaters
r_towle
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 29 2016, 03:11 PM) *

you gotta really want to buy one of these to find any pricing, dealerships, availability of a gas fired unit etc etc...

I wonder if they still make a gas one..

Rich
wndsnd
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jan 29 2016, 03:11 PM) *

My guess is these are all diesel
wndsrfr
Try out a Gerbing's heated vest & gloves that the hard core motorcycle riders use....only draws about 10 watts & is very comfortable....
wndsnd
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 29 2016, 09:36 PM) *

Try out a Gerbing's heated vest & gloves that the hard core motorcycle riders use....only draws about 10 watts & is very comfortable....

This might be the best idea yet..

This stuff looks nice!

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbings-he...hing-store.html

Thanks for the heads up beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.