Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 914-6 Original Engine Mounting parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
teachkenpo
Hello, I am new to 914 World, but have been a member of other Porsche forums for over 10 years. I have predominantly collected 911's, but recently purchased a 1970 914-6 project and that has brought me here.

I am looking for some original engine mounting parts. On the attached diagram I am looking for parts 1, 2 and 3. If you have any of those parts, please let me know.
Thank You,
John

Click to view attachment
Blue6
John, welcome.png ... I don't have the parts, but I am confident some of these great members will...
euro911
You've stumbled onto the premier 914 forum ...

agree.gif someone out here should be able to help with your needs.

welcome.png
porschetub
QUOTE(teachkenpo @ Jan 28 2016, 03:57 PM) *

Hello, I am new to 914 World, but have been a member of other Porsche forums for over 10 years. I have predominantly collected 911's, but recently purchased a 1970 914-6 project and that has brought me here.

I am looking for some original engine mounting parts. On the attached diagram I am looking for parts 1, 2 and 3. If you have any of those parts, please let me know.
Thank You,
John

Mittelmotor in Germany had them a while back but they were $$$$$$,the top and bottom plates aren't hard to make if you have a pattern??,a member on here my loan/hire you one dunno.
My top mount plate is custom fabricated and fits the mount perfectly,the PO had it made.
If you get stuck I could send you pics and dimensions by email beerchug.gif .
porschetub
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 29 2016, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(teachkenpo @ Jan 28 2016, 03:57 PM) *

Thank You,
John

Mittelmotor in Germany had them a while back but they were $$$$$$,the top and bottom plates aren't hard to make if you have a pattern??,a member on here my loan/hire you one dunno.
My top mount plate is custom fabricated and fits the mount perfectly,the PO had it made.

The site shows engine mount,top and bottom mount plates @ 400 euro,shipping cost extra but you do get the VAT tax subtracted from the price if inclusive as you are buying from overseas.
Don't imagine the shipping would be unreasonable.
aturboman
Proper engine mounts are in production and I'm told should be on the market in a couple months. Click to view attachment

This is a photo sent to me of the first production piece
gcrotvik
QUOTE(aturboman @ Jan 29 2016, 07:29 AM) *

Proper engine mounts are in production and I'm told should be on the market in a couple months. Click to view attachment

Excellent. Who will be marketing them and do you have an estimated price?

Thanks,

Greg
Krieger
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 29 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Thanks,

Greg

Yes who?
aturboman
My understanding is the usual people; Pelican, Sierra Madre, etc....

I have no pricing info just inside info from a contact, but if I get more info before they're on the market I'll pass it along here.

I guess now will be the time to start grabbing used engine consoles (#4); the rest of the pieces can be fabricated and I think the firewall piece is being made by Mittlemotor in Germany already?

QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 29 2016, 08:06 AM) *

QUOTE(gcrotvik @ Jan 29 2016, 07:58 AM) *

Thanks,

Greg

Yes who?
mountainroads
This engine mount has always baffled me, so I'll ask a possibly dumb question: The 6-cylinder engine is attached to a vertical plate that essentially spans the width of the engine bay at the fan end when mounted in a 911. But, when turned around and installed in a 914, it's instead mounted at a single central point? I realize the transaxle supports provide some torque resistance, but why what appears to be so much less support for the engine when used in the fourteener? Am I missing something? Thanks guys.

- MR
teachkenpo
Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to being part of the community.

]
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 27 2016, 11:33 PM) *

John, welcome.png ... I don't have of the parts, but I am confident some of these great members will...

teachkenpo
I am glad to have stumbled in. Looking forward to learning for you guys.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 28 2016, 01:33 AM) *

You've stumbled onto the premier 914 forum ...

agree.gif someone out here should be able to help with your needs.

welcome.png
aturboman
MR you about nailed it; there is not much triangulation to counter the torque on the stock 914-6 factory mount set-up. As these mounts age I've noticed they definitely allow even more movement since the rubber is now 40+ years old in many cases.
The last NOS mount I had was appreciably stiffer than any older used ones by comparison, so I'm guessing most of the original mounts in service really should be changed to optimize an already marginal design.

Interesting to note the factory did stiffen the firewall plate on the GT and 916 with additional metal to better spread the torque load and triangulate the forces a bit more. I suspect they also knew the design was not optimal for bigger HP.

In reality the aftermarket designs that spread the load out further to the sides are likely better but do take up much more space and add more weight.

The factory design is definitely "clean" and takes up very little space in a pretty crowded engine compartment.

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 29 2016, 12:43 PM) *

This engine mount has always baffled me, so I'll ask a possibly dumb question: The 6-cylinder engine is attached to a vertical plate that essentially spans the width of the engine bay at the fan end when mounted in a 911. But, when turned around and installed in a 914, it's instead mounted at a single central point? I realize the transaxle supports provide some torque resistance, but why what appears to be so much less support for the engine when used in the fourteener? Am I missing something? Thanks guys.

- MR
teachkenpo
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 29 2016, 08:19 PM) *

Thank you for the offer of photo's. Hopefully I can just find the parts. I did check the Mittelmotor sight and they do seem to have the correct part. That is a good backup source incase the US parts don't materialize. Thank you for the guidance.
John
McMark
Lots of posts about center mounting:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=209763

The boxsters and may race models were mounted with only a center mount.

The 911 had a wide mount because of the body strength. Making a 911 center mount would require substantial reinforcement of the body. It's basically impractical.
PancakePorsche
The factory 3 point mounting confiquration is also the quietest inside the cabin. The Patrick firewall mount I used is very nice but it transmits more noise/vibes into car compared to my car with factory mount.

Also keep in mind factory -6 cars used beefier tranny mounts since they were doing more work of the work.
Niklas
I think they are made in Poland.

Made by Marek the same guy that make a lot of 911 parts.
He have started making parts for 914 now.
He have borrowed a lot of nos parts to copy them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.