Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering wheel experts please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Blue6
Just bought two 1970's for parts. Stored for yrs outside and paid the price. My question is, after pulling both steering wheels, they are both dated 69 and have part #914-347-803-10, which would make them for a six, correct? Now the interesting part, the "803" has been re stamped to "804" on both wheels. It appears to be factory, but the "4" stamped over the top of the "3" is a different font than the others. Both wheels have the correct counter suck holes for the canceling ring. Anybody seen this? Thanks
mepstein
Both 803 and 804 used counter sunk holes. Show us a pic. I'm betting the factory re-stamped the wheel to designate it to a different batch of cars since they weren't selling a lot of 6's. But that's just my thought for now.
Blue6
I'll get some pics today...
Blue6
Mark, sorry for the delay in posting a pic of the numbers. Whenever I want to play with my 914's, life gets in the way....notice the different font on the "4". Must be factory as its on both 1970's that I purchased from different people.Click to view attachment
mepstein
I'm an enthusiast, not an expert but I would chalk it up to one of the odd/cool/unique things the factory did and enjoy the wheels.
803 10 is a 914-6 wheel
804 10 is an early 914-4 wheel
It will definitely fit an early four, a six or an early 911.
carr914
What is the Diameter of the Wheel? A -6 Wheel is the same wheel used in a 73 Carrera RS so they are worth Big $$

Here is a -6 Carrera RS Wheel

Click to view attachment
mepstein
The one I just bought from camp914 is going to Dallas for the RS treatment after I get it painted. They now do a thick wrap without padded spokes so it looks very much like the original.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 28 2016, 12:56 AM) *

Just bought two 1970's for parts. Stored for yrs outside and paid the price. My question is, after pulling both steering wheels, they are both dated 69 and have part #914-347-803-10, which would make them for a six, correct? Now the interesting part, the "803" has been re stamped to "804" on both wheels. It appears to be factory, but the "4" stamped over the top of the "3" is a different font than the others. Both wheels have the correct counter suck holes for the canceling ring. Anybody seen this? Thanks

What are the build dates on those cars? with 12/69 date on the wheel I would think they would have 11/69 - 3/70? Those very early 914s have some other unique parts on them. The pedal board has a longer end on the right side (goes out to a point), seat high adjuster arm is straight, plastic center tray has no divider in it, inside door handle is narrow, latches in targa bar have chrome, not black, base to them, door latch on the jamb has screws that hold the black rubber part on. Check the transmission to verify if they have LSD in them. Usually under each part of the interior trim they have a date stamp on them.

There is some other things I am forgetting, but really look them over. I love early cars. piratenanner.gif

Some pictures of what you may find.

Kraftwerk
^ True: Early cars have loads of great features, metal Gold PORSCHE lettering on engine grill. aluminum 'dots" on speedo & tach gages, Lighter doors.
Interesting E brake... etc. etc.

Hmmmm ...how do you : "Check the transmission to verify if they have LSD in them." >?
carr914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2016, 08:47 AM) *

The one I just bought from camp914 is going to Dallas for the RS treatment after I get it painted. They now do a thick wrap without padded spokes so it looks very much like the original.

Do NOT let them refinish the Black Anodize on the Spokes & Hub! They do a Great Job on the Leather (see my picture above), but they don't know how to do anodizing
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 2 2016, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2016, 08:47 AM) *

Do NOT let them refinish the Black Anodize on the Spokes & Hub! They do a Great Job on the Leather (see my picture above), but they don't know how to do anodizing

Yes. I have heard your warnings in the past. Scotty has done the correct black trim paint for me in the past. I'm going to have my local guy give this wheel a spray.
carr914
I like the Original Anodize - if it has a scratch, it's "Patina"
mepstein
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 2 2016, 08:23 PM) *

I like the Original Anodize - if it has a scratch, it's "Patina"

I do to until it's rusty
Blue6
Thanks guys for all the info. Garold, both wheels are 12/69, but the car build dates are 8/70. Nothing unusual so far, but cars are missing the pedal boards, center seats, consoles etc. No LSD in either car, but lots of good parts and some usable sheet metal. I know one wheel will be sent out and then used in Jim's 6 resto, not sure what we'll do with the other yet.

T.C., the wheels are 14 3/4" dia. Both are ebonite.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Kraftwerk @ Feb 2 2016, 08:59 AM) *

^ True: Early cars have loads of great features, metal Gold PORSCHE lettering on engine grill. aluminum 'dots" on speedo & tach gages, Lighter doors.
Interesting E brake... etc. etc.

The gold lettering is up through 72, the silver cones in the instruments through 73 (with some early 74s having them as well), lighter doors up into the 73 model year, two-piece hand-brake up through 72... Not exactly the "early" that Garold is talking about; he means "first few hundred in the 1970 model year" I believe.

Hmmmm ...how do you : "Check the transmission to verify if they have LSD in them." >?

Look at the serial numbers stamped onto the bottom. Also jack up both rear wheels, put the car in gear, and turn one wheel. If the other turns the opposite way, the car has a conventional "open" differential. If it turns the same way, or not at all, it has a limited-slip diff.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.