Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Too good to be true?..106 bucks for a /4 header
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I couldn't belive the price when I saw it...sooooooo, I just had to buy one....I'll find out next week if I wasted 106 dollars or not smile.gif

oh, this is brand new by the way and of course steel...no idea on the size of the tubes.........

No listing for /6 stuff

Mueller
Mark Henry
Hey Mueller

Is that the S&S header? If it is post some pic's of it when you get it, if you can, Thanks smile.gif
Mueller
yes it is....pictures and full details will be posted....

dyno run planned, but not for a while (car has to run first, LOL)
Mark Henry
Ah, Yeh, it does help if the car is running for a dyno run. rolleyes.gif
Brad Roberts
Where did you see that header ?? His margin must be nill or the product is crap. After dealing with a Kerry Hunter, I'll never purchase another header that doesnt install with stub tubes. It should be interesting.

I had Al working on duping the Chris Foley header today.

B
Mueller
I too cannot believe it......all of thier prices are pretty cheap...
sorta scary..

if all else fails I'll throw it up on eBay if it's crap...

it might turn out to be decent for turbocharged /4 cars ????

No pictures on thier website for this particular header...

http://www.ssheaders.com/index.htm
Mark Henry
No pic's of this header on the S&S site, they are known for not fitting perfectly. smash.gif

Brad, you did say that you were improving on Chris's header design, right? wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Ahh yes. I know who they are. The quality should be fine. They havent produced any crap (ever). I'm concerned that they have a header for a 914. They sell a lot of the Type4 headers to guy's running Midgets and Sprint cars powered by Type4's. So.. the tooling would almost be the same and they have a generic collector they could use for it. Very possible they are turning out a 100$ header. It wont have stub tubes for that price. Sounds "ok" to me for a cheap header.

B
Mueller
Actually, I'd like to "convert" this one to stub pipes since I have a history with breaking exhaust studs smile.gif
Mueller
I did some google'n and I could only find one negative about these guys (Pantera owner didn't like the fact that they are not 100% true equal length header, or at least the set he had)

I liked that they listed a different header for the 1.7/1.8 and the 2.0 meaning the 2.0 should have larger primaries
campbellcj
Holy crap that's cheap. I think the PO paid like $800 for the Eurorace header on my car. It is a stub-tube design with a separate collector that leaks...
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 28 2003, 04:47 PM)

I had Al working on duping the Chris Foley header today.

B

Interesting! ohmy.gif

If the price is right I might just as well buy them from you, instead of making them, LOL.

BTW, where did you get one of my headers?

Chris
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 28 2003, 05:00 PM)

Brad, you did say that you were improving on Chris's header design, right?

What sort of improvements do you think are necessary? huh.gif
Brad Roberts
Ha ha.. Works every time. I just wanted you on the board. I have one, but it is old. I'm actaully working on a David Finch replacement for a couple of our F-prod cars. David wont make any more, and he never mass produced them. I looked at your header. We could bend the tubes for you no problem in SS or mild steel. We have 2 Eaton Leonard CNC tubing benders with multiple dies.

Cool. Now you can participate in this board. Sorry I had to resort to that method, I didnt have your email address (I do now)

B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jan 29 2003, 10:45 AM)
Ha ha.. Works every time. I just wanted you on the board. B

Hahahaha! That's funny as shit!

I've thought about hashing up the ol' "6 vs. big 4" debate, just to see who else is lurking out there! wink.gif

Chris, I have no opinion on the quality of your header, except for the pic's, I've never seen one.
I was just surprised that Brad said he was copying your header. Should of known that he was just being an asshole. Good one Brad!

clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif

Mark
Brad Roberts
I never really know who is lurking and who isnt. I like Chris allot and would never do anything to jeopardize his well being.

I'm here to help.

B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 29 2003, 09:41 AM)

What sort of improvements do you think are necessary? huh.gif

Yes, I did think of one, some type of heat exchanger!
How could I use your header and drive with the top off in May etc., in Canada, without freezing my ass off! blink.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 29 2003, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 29 2003, 09:41 AM)

What sort of improvements do you think are necessary?    :huh:

Yes, I did think of one, some type of heat exchanger!
How could I use your header and drive with the top off in May etc., in Canada, without freezing my ass off! blink.gif

I've been working on it. The first heat exchanger will be on a car in February. It should easily retrofit to any existing Super Header, with no modifications.

Brad Robert wrote: "We could bend the tubes for you no problem in SS or mild steel. We have 2 Eaton Leonard CNC tubing benders with multiple dies."

That sounds good, as I'm not very happy with Hooker's price and delivery. I'll email you.

The header you have was made before I started doing them. I have made some improvements.

BTW, I wasn't lurking until someone else (looking out for my wellbeing) emailed me the link to this discussion. I hadn't gotten around to coming back here yet, since I am still recovering from a hard drive crash a month ago. I suppose I should call off my team of high priced lawyers (from the firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe) now? beerchug.gif
Zeke
S & S is close enough to Mexico to have fabrication done there. You may draw your own conclusions, but the price is not enough to pay any kind of decent wage. I have no knowledge as to whether what I suggest is true or not.
Brad Roberts
Good point Milt.

B
Mike9142.0
I went to take a look at this today. It is a steel header that is painted black and bolt's to the heater box. look's like a type 4 bus part with the outlet going to the left.
Mike
Brad Roberts
ALA Bursch.

Nice job Mr. Mueller. Its a muffler for the heat exchangers. clap56.gif

Thanks Mike. You just saved a whole bunch of people from some shipping headaches.

B
Mike9142.0
No muffler that is extra.
Mike
Brad Roberts
OH man.. that is great. I had to stop messing with the classifieds when this email came in. LOL

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

B
gklinger
No wonder there's no picture on their website.

914 HEADER? yeah - right.
jonwatts
Dear Sir or Madam,

Please kindly refund my purchase of this TOTALLY USELESS PIECE OF CRAP!!! ar15.gif

Sincerely,

Go Screw Yourself
Brad Roberts
I cant thank you enough Mike (AZ Mike). Seriously. This is exactly what I envisioned would happen with a good BBS. 914 people helping other 914 people. You helped by quickly evaluating a part that was manufactured near you.

B
Mike9142.0
Allway's willing to help.
Mike
campbellcj
OK, so I'm trying to picture what this thing is.

Take a Bursch (POS) and hacksaw the muffler (and tailpipe) off.

You've got a couple of flanges and j-tubes for $106? laugh.gif
Mueller
I'm going to ignore you crackheads until I see the part in person smile.gif

IPB ImageIPB Image
Brad Roberts
Andy and I buy crack down the street from his Oakland home. Right next to the liquor store where the nasty hookers hang out.

B
ChrisFoley
The way you guys chase after the elusive $100 header makes me think you are looking for the Holy Grail, fer krys'sake. rolleyes.gif
BTW, I think Bursch calls their muffler system a 4-2-1 header. It does improve output over the factory muffler too. At least for a portion of the rpm range. tongue.gif
Zeke
Why don't they just say so and put up a picture? To me, a HEADER bolts to the heads, hence the name.

Chris, It's partly curiousity and partly the human nature known as greed that keeps people chasing after cheap deals. Besides, for some, that's more money left for crack. wink.gif
JeffBowlsby
Hey Yall didn't Ya'll see my post on this 2 days ago on STF? Its half a Bursch...

"I have pasted the S&S 914 header catalog info below.
These sound like a system that bolts onto the stock HE's to replace the muffler ala Bursch, Monza, etc. Notice they do not list a left or right and they offer a CA version... for that price is the muffler/cat extra?

PORSCHE EXHAUST SYSTEMS

Part # Product Description Retail
P-91 70-74 1.7/1.8 Liter 914 Header $102.65

P-92 73-74 2 Liter 914 Header $106.50

P-93 49 State 75-76 1.8/2 Liter 914 Header $106.50

P-93C CA only 75-76 1.8/2 Liter 914 Header $106.50

Answered my own question. Right below the 'headers' in the catalog is the following:

PORSCHE MUFFLERS

Part # Product Description Retail
M-P00 QP for P-93/P-93C $61.85
M-P50 QP for P-91 70-72 914 $61.85
M-P90 QP for P-91 73-74 914 /P-92 $61.85 "
Mueller
Racer Chris wrote:

The way you guys chase after the elusive $100 header makes me think you are looking for the Holy Grail, fer krys'sake.

I also think it's too cheap to be what I want, but all I've got to lose is shipping and even that I could get re-imbursed if I bitch about it enough smile.gif

The way I look at it, if it is not a true bolt-to-the-heads header in an expected fashion, a little pressure will get them to change thier descritption or even better, to correctly make the part.

Now quit making fun of me ar15.gif
ChrisFoley
LMAO laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Sorry Jeff,

I dont know what STF is (dont have time for more than one)

B
Bleyseng
Just another BBS you could get your ass kicked off for being a smart ass, Brad. STF is ShopTalkForums where Jake Raby hangs out.
Geoff
MJHanna
Brad, can you change the Rife smiley ar15.gif to point the other way so we can take practice shots at Mueller’s dancing banana ? laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Yes I can Mark (best idea today)

Hang on.

B
Brad Roberts
OK.. try this ONE.

IPB ImageOK lets try this one..

Ha ha ha...

Shoot the banana.

B
SirAndy
ar15.gif IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

hehe, that worked !
SirAndy
you can now find muellers banana here:

http://www.914world.com/pix/banana.gif

happy shooting!!!!!!!!

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.