Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F/S Porsche 915 Transmission w/ Vellios Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
soloracer
Porsche 915 transmission with ring and pinion flipped for mid engine application. Converted to side shifter with a Vellios kit. I was planning on using it in my 914 project but now am using a Subaru engine and transmission. Internals look like new. Not sure of gear ratio's. Price is $3000 OBO.
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 28 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Porsche 915 transmission with ring and pinion flipped for mid engine application. Converted to side shifter with a Vellios kit. I was planning on using it in my 914 project but now am using a Subaru engine and transmission. Internals look like new. Not sure of gear ratio's. Price is $3000 OBO.

Bump for an rare item. When these conversion were in the market, they were approximately $2800 just for the kit.
Also, trans look like an mag case 915 with 731 R/P.

Good luck with your sale.
soloracer
Thank you for the comments. I have been asked for the model of 915 so that the gear ratios can be known. The number on the bottom rib is badly marked up and I really don't know what car it came off of. I did look at the internals back when I was going to install a Euro oil cooler (wouldn't work because ring and pinion flipped on this transmission). At the time I was amazed how new and clean it looked inside. Looks like a new rebuild and that oil had never been added to it. I am going to take it somewhere to see if we can identify what exactly it has inside.
After looking at trans again, I noticed that the guide tube is an early version of the 915. I believe that after 74, the guide tube is secure by two screws on the outside. In order to change the main shaft seal on your trans...you have to disassemble / pull the gear cluster off.
soloracer
By popular request I have taken some more pictures of the transmission including some of the internals. The transmission appears to be rebuilt with assembly lube still in place. The gears appear sharp and new. I can't tell you much about the gear set as it was rebuilt by the previous owner. It's a magnesium case and the numbers on the bottom rib have been scraped down to the last 3 which don't tell me much about it. I had the case dry ice blasted a couple years ago at a PCA garage day and it looks to have developed a little white patina in my garage. All rust showing is surface only and won't affect operation.
soloracer
Pics of the differential from behind the side cover
soloracer
Here is the side cover. A sensor has been added to it for some reason. Temperature maybe?
soloracer
Took the Vellios rear cover off.
soloracer
Best pics I can take without completely removing the gears. Assembly lube on the gears still. It's never seen use and has not had oil in it.
soloracer
Noticed this addition. Looks like the builder epoxied a magnet in the case. I assume this is to pick up any little bits that might make it into the oil.
soloracer
And here it is again. It will need a new gasket on the side cover and rear cover. The washers used to keep the covers in place were aluminum and should be replaced with new ones as I believe are of the one use crush washer variety.
QUOTE(soloracer @ Feb 22 2016, 09:51 PM) *

Here is the side cover. A sensor has been added to it for some reason. Temperature maybe?

The sensor on the side cover is for the electronic speedo, which pick-up the signal off the disk with magnets on it - I used to watch George build them in the day.
Also, the dog teeth looks good - sharp. Which means that if they changed that out, it makes no sense not to change the syncros too.
oh, does it have an LSD?
If it does, it will add more value too.
Good luck with sale.
soloracer
Thanks for the additional insight! The differential appears to be open as when I turn one output flange the other side turns the opposite direction.
QUOTE(soloracer @ Feb 22 2016, 09:53 PM) *

Took the Vellios rear cover off.

Here's another bit of info on George's 916 kit.
The rear cover can be set up for an internal oil spray bar....look at the boss. Boy, this is testing my memory from all these years of playing with these cars biggrin.gif
Mueller

Couldn't you just turn the input shaft, count the output turns and do the math?

Might not be 100% accurate but you could get within the ballpark.
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 23 2016, 06:44 AM) *

Couldn't you just turn the input shaft, count the output turns and do the math?

Might not be 100% accurate but you could get within the ballpark.

This should be a 72 / 73 915....one can use search for ratio's
zig-n-zag
The drive flanges look to be of the 100mm variety. A 72-73 trans would have been equipped with 108mm flanges.
QUOTE(zig-n-zag @ Feb 24 2016, 07:17 PM) *

The drive flanges look to be of the 100mm variety. A 72-73 trans would have been equipped with 108mm flanges.

Yes , another bit of info for the seller.
It's a great buy for someone who wants a 916 type of trans and who is looking for a trans that one can bang the gears without really worried about the trans falling apart. Heck, its already set up.
Again I'm just posting my knowledge on the trans. ..these were the types of questions I have asked George when he was developing it and performing the conversion.
soloracer
There was a deal on the transmission that fell through so I am bumping it up. I also have a bunch of other related parts to sell.

Kennedy Engineering Stage 1 Clutch Kit
$ 700

soloracer
I also have Patrick Motorsports shift rods and a 914 engine bar with hole for a side shifting transmission. ($400)
Justinp71
Pm'd

Below are the gear ratio's I found, look very close to a stock 914

911 1972-74
5-speed synchronized transaxle
Manufactured by Porsche (ZF)
Plate-type limited-slip differential available
Rod shift
Single-plate clutch
Gear ratios:
1st gear: 3.18 (11/35)
2nd gear: 1.83 (18/33)
3rd gear: 1.26 (23/29)
4th gear: 0.96 (26/25)
5th gear: 0.76 (29/22)
Ring and pinion: 4.43 (7:31)
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 4 2016, 04:34 PM) *

Pm'd

Below are the gear ratio's I found, look very close to a stock 914

911 1972-74
5-speed synchronized transaxle
Manufactured by Porsche (ZF)
Plate-type limited-slip differential available
Rod shift
Single-plate clutch
Gear ratios:
1st gear: 3.18 (11/35)
2nd gear: 1.83 (18/33)
3rd gear: 1.26 (23/29)
4th gear: 0.96 (26/25)
5th gear: 0.76 (29/22)
Ring and pinion: 4.43 (7:31)

Here's my knowledge of ZF...its a manufacturer of the trans for PAG...or simply Porsche. These early ZF LSD has 4 friction disk vs the latest which has only two...which will wear out in say 10 to 15 k . Or sooner if the car is driven hard.....some component are not like what they used to be.
The current crop of Porsche owners complain about how the cars handel because of the LSD locking toooo much. Those new owners simply want to be "seen " in a Porsche. ...my .02. Sometimes I have the same feeling with all the new 914 owners too, oh well.
Justinp71
Thanks for the info. Solo racer stated that it's an open diff a few posts ago? Maybe the lsd was pulled out in the rebuild?
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 4 2016, 11:04 PM) *

Thanks for the info. Solo racer stated that it's an open diff a few posts ago? Maybe the lsd was pulled out in the rebuild?

..no worries, actually I was side tracked as when folks mention ZF, they are referring to the ZF LSD the was the main stay of LSD found in the cars up to the SC and Carrera with the 915 in 86. After that, I see LSD made in the UK and who knows where else. Yes, the original poster did not mention that this trans has a open diff.
Sorry for the confusion.
soloracer
QUOTE(396 @ Mar 5 2016, 12:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 4 2016, 11:04 PM) *

..no worries, actually I was side tracked as when folks mention ZF, they are referring to the ZF LSD the was the main stay of LSD found in the cars up to the SC and Carrera with the 915 in 86. After that, I see LSD made in the UK and who knows where else. Yes, the original poster did not mention that this trans has a open diff.
Sorry for the confusion.

For clarification, I believe this transmission has an open diff as when I turn one axle flange the other side turns the opposite way.
Jgilliam914
I wish I had seen this 6 months ago.
I've got much of the same set up with a LSD at Dr Evil's ready to be freshened.
If anyone is thinking of using a 915 you will have over 3 times this by the time you are done.
soloracer
I went out and measured the output flanges. Could not find my metric tape measure. Go figure. Used a standard one and they look to be 4 inches across on the nose. At 25.4mm per inch that would make them 100 mm. Hope this helps
soloracer
Everything sold! Thanks! Well almost everything, I still have the engine mount bar. I am looking for $150 for it. I also have a Rennshifter, rotary conversion adapter and flywheel, and a six cylinder firewall mounting kit to sell. Drop me a line if you are interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.