Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank Just Had Gas Tank Renu Service
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
Was originally planning just to have my fuel tank cleaned out but it did have some small leaks so had it resealed with the GasTank Renu service. The cut open tank, sand blast, weld it back up, and then treat inside. I figured they should do a better job than any over the counter stuff and $275 was not terrible. The real test will be how well it holds up in terms of peeling. While I try to avoid ethanol fuel, in my area that is not always possible.

Here are pics of tank. I had them leave the top exterior untreated so that I can just hit that with some Satin Black to look more original. The rest you do not see. One question, on the last picture there is a threaded insert in the top corner of the tank. I do not recall removing anything from there and want to make sure a part is not sitting in the shop where they did the work. What goes in there?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 28 2016, 06:10 PM) *
One question, on the last picture there is a threaded insert in the top corner of the tank. I do not recall removing anything from there and want to make sure a part is not sitting in the shop where they did the work. What goes in there?

Not stock, so your guess is as good as mine ...
idea.gif
Amphicar770
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2016, 09:43 PM) *

One question, on the last picture there is a threaded insert in the top corner of the tank. I do not recall removing anything from there and want to make sure a part is not sitting in the shop where they did the work. What goes in there?

idea.gif

I think it was covered, maybe even with epxoy or something, when I took the tank in. I guess I will just find a brass or stainless steel bolt / plug that fits in there, put some fuel proof thread sealer on it and leave the mystery unsolved.

Amphicar770
For the fuel intake and output metal lines. Are the gaskets just standard fiber gaskets like the sell at Home Depot or do I need to special order?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jan 29 2016, 11:00 AM) *

For the fuel intake and output metal lines. Are the gaskets just standard fiber gaskets like the sell at Home Depot or do I need to special order?

You can't buy them anywhere local. I haven't found a source other than a VW Porsche parts supplier.
I include one with every strainer I sell and I have extras, but they aren't listed on my website. Its pretty rare that the return fitting needs a new gasket.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 28 2016, 09:43 PM) *

idea.gif

My bet is it came off a 914 with a gas heater.
Sure looks like a gas heater bung you would see on a VW beetle tank, they all came off of the top.
Left side corner?
Amphicar770
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 29 2016, 10:50 AM) *

My bet is it came off a 914 with a gas heater.
Sure looks like a gas heater bung you would see on a VW beetle tank, they all came off of the top.
Left side corner?

Yes, left side corner. Now just need to figure out the size and thread pitch. Looks like it is some weird M13 size, I'll probably just tap it to 1/2". Had I known it was there, would have had shop seal it off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.