Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Light Switch Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFix
Would someone tell me or point me to a link that tells me where in the dash the fog light switch goes, and how to wire it? I've searched through a lot of pages and haven't found anything.

Thanks!
scotty914
well the placement is to the right of the other 2 switches on the left side of the steering wheel. its covered by the vinyl, you just feel from the front till you find it. its equal distant from the the hazard as the headlight switch is. then there are 2 wires to hook up, but they are normally tied in to the harness and are tricky to find.
ChrisFix
Found the wires behind the dash and checked the circuit drawing in Haynes - there are actually three wires, which for a '74 Haynes says are Grey/Red (to K terminal), Brown/Blue (to 15 terminal), and Brown (to 31 terminal). In my '74 the Brown/Blue is Black/Blue, but must be the correct wire as there are no others.
BMartin914
I think you've got it. If you need to know which wires go to which terminals, I could check for you when I go out to the garage in a little while.
ChrisFix
Thanks for the offer, but the terminals are marked on the switch and correspond to the Hayes circuit drawing, so I think I have that correct.
KaptKaos
Cool, I needed this too.

Thanks,
Joe
Yoei66
ChrisFix:

I also needed this information. I thought I would have to wire a new circuit, but I then saw what look like connections for the foglights in the front of my trunk. Cool, because I picked up a original '75 lamps and a fog lamp switch on e-bay, Let us know how it turnes out, and if you have to add a relay to the relay board.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 19 2005, 11:50 AM)
ChrisFix:

I also needed this information. I thought I would have to wire a new circuit, but I then saw what look like connections for the foglights in the front of my trunk. Cool, because I picked up a original '75 lamps and a fog lamp switch on e-bay, Let us know how it turnes out, and if you have to add a relay to the relay board.

I'm going to hook up a pair of lights tomorrow to see if it checks out. I'll let you know what I find.
Yoei66
Chris:

I've completed the switch install, and have tested the circuit on my '75. I'm getting 12v power to the white wire w/ yellow stripe wire in the front of my trunk, when I have both low beams & foglight switch on. I also removed the fuse for the fog lamps to verify that this was the correct wire. So, the good news is that no additional relay or wiring is required. I'm not installing my lamps for a couple weeks, but now I wired for it. Thanks for starting this post-thread yesterday! it has saved me tons of time.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (Yoei66 @ Mar 20 2005, 12:27 PM)
Chris:

I've completed the switch install, and have tested the circuit on my '75. I'm getting 12v power to the white wire w/ yellow stripe wire in the front of my trunk, when I have both low beams & foglight switch on. I also removed the fuse for the fog lamps to verify that this was the correct wire. So, the good news is that no additional relay or wiring is required. I'm not installing my lamps for a couple weeks, but now I wired for it. Thanks for starting this post-thread yesterday! it has saved me tons of time.

Excellent! I've done the same as you and everything checks out. I've been restoring a set of the pre-'75 round fogs and haven't got those quite finished to install yet, but most of the hard work is done. I'm glad your intall is going well for you. Now if I only had an exploded view of the round fog lamp so I could figure out where those spring clips go....
mikey
I'm getting 12v power to the white wire w/ yellow stripe wire in the front of my trunk, when I have both low beams & foglight switch on. I also removed the fuse for the fog lamps to verify that this was the correct wire. So, the good news is that no additional relay or wiring is required.

So the headlight low beams need to be on at the same time the foglight switch is on to have the foglights work. If you switch to high beams do the fogs go out? I posted on this same subject earlier and got a reply from Sir Andy. He said that it's illegal in Europe to have both high beams and fogs on at the same time (all that light reflects back to the driver).

I'm trying to puzzle out the dash wiring on my 70 914-6. Are there wires connecting direct from the headlight switch to the foglight switch? I have a black/blue wire in the harness but the wiring diagram indicates that it goes from the switch to one of the gauge bulbs not to the foglight switch.

After connecting the headlight switch and emergency flasher I don't have many wires left to connect to the foglight switch (which is in the middle left on a sixer). If I remember correctly the wires are gray, red and brown - not black/blue if that one goes to the gauge. wacko.gif
Yoei66
Mikey:

Yes, the power to the fog lamps go out when the high beams are switched on. As far as the wiring under the dash goes, I hiiked my switch up the same a Chrisfix..

[QUOTE]

There were three wire connectors at the location where the fog lamp switch goes, waiting for my switch. Perhaps in 1970 this type of pre-wiring for adding options was not none. I haven't investigated the wiring behond this.
ChrisFix
QUOTE (mikey @ Mar 20 2005, 02:32 PM)
I'm getting 12v power to the white wire w/ yellow stripe wire in the front of my trunk, when I have both low beams & foglight switch on. I also removed the fuse for the fog lamps to verify that this was the correct wire. So, the good news is that no additional relay or wiring is required.

So the headlight low beams need to be on at the same time the foglight switch is on to have the foglights work. If you switch to high beams do the fogs go out? I posted on this same subject earlier and got a reply from Sir Andy. He said that it's illegal in Europe to have both high beams and fogs on at the same time (all that light reflects back to the driver).

I'm trying to puzzle out the dash wiring on my 70 914-6. Are there wires connecting direct from the headlight switch to the foglight switch? I have a black/blue wire in the harness but the wiring diagram indicates that it goes from the switch to one of the gauge bulbs not to the foglight switch.

After connecting the headlight switch and emergency flasher I don't have many wires left to connect to the foglight switch (which is in the middle left on a sixer). If I remember correctly the wires are gray, red and brown - not black/blue if that one goes to the gauge. wacko.gif

The fog lights do require the headlights to be on to operate and do turn off when the high-beam is on. There is a neat wire-kit to allow the fogs to turn on without the headlights and to act as the high-beam flash when the lights are off: http://www.jwesteng.com/fog.htm.

In my Haynes manaul, the wiring for the fog light switch for "Up to 1971, USA" is the same as my '74 which is Grey/Red (to K terminal), Black/Blue (to 15 terminal), and Brown (to 31 terminal). On my car, those wires were in the loom just behind the punch-out in the dash.
mikey
Thanks Yoei66 and ChrisFix! Just got back from being away for a couple of weeks and read this. Unfortunately the kit from www.jwesteng.com won't work on an original 6er so I'm going to leave the fog light operation stock.
Grey/Red (to K terminal), Black/Blue (to 15 terminal), and Brown (to 31 terminal). On my car, those wires were in the loom just behind the punch-out in the dash.

This may help me a lot. I think those are the three wires I have unconnected to any switch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.