Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a Little Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Beebo Kanelle
When I drive over a rough road, the rear trunk unlatches !

I close it and it seems secure; I can't force it open, can't jiggle it open; it just stays latched until I go over a bump.

I cannot see any adjustment - I know this is not supposed to happen.

I feel kinda stupid about this but I am out of ideas.

Is there a solution?

Any and all suggestions / remedies are appreciated.

Thanks

EdwardBlume
They can wear out. Buy a new one or a better one....
wndsnd
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 29 2016, 09:23 PM) *

Latch? Trunk? Car? blink.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Jan 29 2016, 06:26 PM) *

QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 29 2016, 09:23 PM) *

Latch? Trunk? Car? blink.gif

Yeah. OK

The trunk lid has a spring surrounded needle latch. Over time the spring can wear and the needle wear.

I've seen new ones where the spring is too strong and it pushes a side up. The latch can also be adjusted by loosening the bolts and moving slightly...
whitetwinturbo
..............drive on smooth roads beer3.gif
rick 918-S
The pin wears. Also there it a plastic cup with a spring that wears out.
bandjoey
I can't look now but doesn't mikey sell a repair kit ? One of our vendors does. Spring, nylon washer, etc
914Sixer
You can take the upper off and loosen the nut. Adjust the rod a turn or so. Put back on and repeat process until you get the lid tight.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 31 2016, 07:33 AM) *

You can take the upper off and loosen the nut. Adjust the rod a turn or so. Put back on and repeat process until you get the lid tight.

Did that and every other trick I could think of. Mine was doing the same thing. Popped open while driving. Ended up welding and reshaping the pin. So either replace the pin or repair it.
Mikey914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 29 2016, 07:56 PM) *

I can't look now but doesn't mikey sell a repair kit ? One of our vendors does. Spring, nylon washer, etc

Made the spring retainer sleeve, but I am working on a manual release so this would be an easy cross over part to make.
Mark
porschetub
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jan 30 2016, 03:50 PM) *

..............drive on smooth roads beer3.gif

that's helpful....not,have a few more beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif .

gereed75
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 29 2016, 09:20 PM) *

I close it and it seems secure; I can't force it open, can't jiggle it open; it just stays latched until I go over a bump.

Is there a solution?

Thanks

I was able to fix mine by using a file to " sharpen" the detent on the latching rod. Take a look at the geometry of the latch mechanism and you will see where to file.
rmdinmd
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 31 2016, 09:22 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 31 2016, 07:33 AM) *

Did that and every other trick I could think of. Mine was doing the same thing. Popped open while driving. Ended up welding and reshaping the pin. So either replace the pin or repair it.

The welding is what I had done; don't remember if it was Clay or Brad that suggested it. But either way that was the fix.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ Jan 29 2016, 06:20 PM) *

Is there a solution?

Thanks

I have a good used one you can try out for free. PM me your coordinates.
porschefile2010
[quote name='Beebo Kanelle' date='Jan 30 2016, 02:20 PM' post='2295980']

This happened to me some months back. My car is away at the moment so I can't get a picture for you but from memory there is a nut under the trunk lid that holds the spring in place and mine had just come a quarter turn loose. I pinched it up again and it has never done it again. may not be helpful as you seem to have tried most everything else.
914Sixer
You CAN ADJUST the rod up or down by taking it off and loosening the top nut. In most cases the rod simply has to be lengthened.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Feb 1 2016, 06:18 PM) *

You CAN ADJUST the rod up or down by taking it off and loosening the top nut. In most cases the rod simply has to be lengthened.

I agree.
Most likely the pin is not long enough.
Make sure all basic hood adjustments are good first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.