Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint tool
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hi guys,
I would like to know the name of the CV joint tool, and the best place to get it...Sears, Lowes, Home depot, or an auto parts store... flag.gif
thanks
joe
skline
Its called a 3 square 8mm, I picked up a whole set of them for like $6.00 at the local FLAPS.
Lou W
$17.00 on the Snap On truck.
mightyohm
$1.99 at the local VW bug shop.
Gint
8mm triple square. If you go to a non-bug shop, ask them for the bug cv joint tool, then look at the package and make sure it's 8mm.
redshift
Do not be caught like poor Aaron, in a pinch, with nothing but visegrips..

smile.gif

The driver's inside coming off causes most damage! BAM! BAM! BAM! POW!

-metal skids in rearview-

M
ArtechnikA
after you get the tool, make SURE the sucket in the head of the bolt is CLEAN (use a spray solvent like brake or carb cleaner and the little red straw but USE EYE PROTECTION because the sprayback WILL get you. then make sure whoever did this job last didn't replace any of the triple-square fasteners with Allen hex. it happens.

tap the tool gently but firmly into the bolt's socket before trying to twist it out.

you already have your new Schnorr washers, yes?
skline
Joe, You may want to have new CV gaskets before you go pulling them off. Not a good idea to run without gaskets in there as it makes a nasty mess when it starts slinging CV grease underneath. They are cheap, I usually buy about 6 at a time when I buy them. Nice to have some laying around.
joeav8tor
thanks everyone for your replies,
I will get the tool today...I ordered an upper and lower fuel line kit that includes injector elbows...got small and large FI seals, and intake runner boots, and CV gaskets coming...and cheese head screws...if time permits, I will take the engine tin off and either paint or powder coat it...if I can...I appreciate the advice type.gif flag.gif
Jor
watsonrx13
Picked mine up at NAPA for $8.95, last year....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.