Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Silver Surfer
So I bought a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 project today. A new roommate for the 914. The usual body work challenges and a full interior restoration needed. Originally moss green with a tan interior. Going to keep that color scheme. Excited to get it home and take stock. Anybody here have experience with these cars?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Better include a picture of the 914 too so she doesn't get jealous:

Click to view attachment

shoguneagle
The 1974 Alfa GTV are really fun cars, not fast by today's hp, very dependable. The are great great either with Webbers (quicker response with the proper cams) or the Spica Injection. I have about 15 Alfas which did include the '74GTV. I liked the GTV the best out of all of them.

At present I have the 1986 Spider which is another type of car. This car keeps my 1974 914-Sizer (converted) company.

Congratulations and enjoy the car.

What are you missing and what will your build move to?

Kind of the bible reference: www.alfabb.com is the website you should visit. Great bunch of Alfa owners and great source of information; much like the 914world.com site.
ConeDodger
I have Alfa Romeo GTV6 calipers on the front of my 914!
Silver Surfer
Thanks shoguneagle! I'm excited about this build. The gentleman I bought the GTV from was extremely knowledgeable and generous with spare panels and what not. I won't know what I'm missing until I go through all of the boxes of parts that he had taken off of the car to have it sand blasted and epoxy primed. He had done some extensive work to the engine, exhaust and breaks already too and his work looks really clean.

I should have it all in my garage by the end of the week and will post more pictures then. I'll also set myself up on the Alfa board as well. Right now the only thing I'm missing is knowledge and confidence!
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 30 2016, 11:21 PM) *

Really ConeDodger? I've never heard of that mod before. What are you running on the rear?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Jan 31 2016, 03:30 AM) *

Really ConeDodger? I've never heard of that mod before. What are you running on the rear?

It's not a super common mod, but I think it was Bruce Stone and Eric Shea who discovered that at least some of the Alfa GTV 6's came with aluminum calipers that are pretty much identical to our ATE calipers, at least in bolt spacing. Eric has me in 914-6 rears I think, but I'm wanting to do the alloy rears that Shea/Whitesell collaborated on.

You *might* be able to see them peeking through the front wheels in this shot. Eric polished them up really sexy-like!
Silver Surfer
That's brilliant. Aluminum calipers up front and stock 914/6 out back. I would never have thought of that. Very cool mod.
TravisNeff
That alfa should be a fun project, badass!
falcor75
I've got Alfa calipers in the front of mine too. 48 mm pistons and I think 2 lbs lighter per side than the stock calipers.
EdwardBlume
cool car! Congrats! smilie_pokal.gif
CatDaddy60
QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Jan 30 2016, 10:55 PM) *

So I bought a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 project today. A new roommate for the 914. The usual body work challenges and a full interior restoration needed. Originally moss green with a tan interior. Going to keep that color scheme. Excited to get it home and take stock. Anybody here have experience with these cars?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Better include a picture of the 914 too so she doesn't get jealous:

Click to view attachment

piratenanner.gif

Congratulations! I've owned a couple of the 4 door variety because of family constraints and budget. They are really fun cars but suffer from the same illnesses as the teeners. I can see from you photo you have your work cut out for you with the steel worm in attendance sawzall-smiley.gif . pay very close attention to the rockers as those are stressed body parts. The good news is most of the needed parts are available from I think its Wolf Steel productions in Canada welder.gif welder.gif .
I spent a weeks vacation helping a friend prep a GTV coupe for vintage competition in AZ, and my claim to fame is that the same friend gave me a body for a 72 Berlina (same running gear) that was at his house in PHX. My brother and I loaded an engine, transmission, radiator, wheels and tires, into a Uhaul and drove to AZ from Seattle to Mesa and put it all in the car in two days. Then drove the car from Mesa to Seattle. The car ran flawless but the transmission locked in 5th gear in Woodland California w00t.gif so I drove from Woodland to Seattle in 5th gear! When we pulled the tranny out there wasn't any adverse effects to the clutch. Long story short fun cars but alot of work, have fun aktion035.gif
from the photo of the engine it looks like a stock exhaust if you change to a header watch out as the heat can build up and boil fluid in the brake master also the stock fuel injection expert lives in Seattle google Wes Ingram he is the best with that system.
BK911
Don't know anything about them, but looks like a cool project.
Have fun!!
somd914
Very nice, I've been toying with the idea of buying one for the last few years, but the garage and free time schedule are full. Enjoy and keep us posted... beerchug.gif
RohJay
QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Jan 31 2016, 12:25 PM) *

What's the car to the left of the GTV ?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Jan 31 2016, 02:30 AM) *

So do I smile.gif

My HS buddy had alfa's he just loved them, I always thought the were stylish, good looking car. I'd love a late 60's GTV but I already have too many cars.
jmill
The GTV is my absolute favorite!!!

Awesome score. You'll love it. I had a 74 spider and my buddy had the GTV. You'll find the trans is geared perfectly. There's a gear for every corner.

Lose the FI, adjust the cams and go with side drafts. Install the sleeves in the water ports of the head to prevent blown head gaskets. Although braided brake lines are frowned upon here, they really increase the Alfas pedal feel.
Valy
Alfas are the most fun cars I ever had.
Enjoy!
SKL1
Older Alfas are neat- saw a few at the various auctions this past week. Is the rear fender rusting thru in front of the side marker hole?? Ouch!! Guess they use the same salt water based paint Fiats do!!
Shredhead
I've done some drooling over this one... http://classiccargallery.com/details.php?id=896&g=1
Silver Surfer
I love the 914 community. There is so much experience and car passion on this board. I'm getting past the "what did I just do?" stage of the purchase and starting to get really excited about the project. I wanted a project, not a finished car and that's exactly what I've got here. I have a lot to learn (don't even own a welder), and will be farming some of the work out to local professionals, but I'm looking forward to getting the Alfa home and taking stock. More pictures and progress updates to follow.
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Jan 31 2016, 09:16 AM) *

Older Alfas are neat- saw a few at the various auctions this past week. Is the rear fender rusting thru in front of the side marker hole?? Ouch!! Guess they use the same salt water based paint Fiats do!!

Yeah, strange place to rust through right? Luckily the floor boards seem 98% solid except for the front passenger outer corner. Inner rockers appear solid but outer skin is Swiss cheese. You don't often get a shot at a project that has already been media blasted to remove all of the crappy bondo quick fixes, but it's also sobering to see all of the imperfections at once.
marksGTV
I owned a '74 GTV from 1996-2004. They are fantastic cars. Wonderful drivers ...handle so well with that legendary twin-cam engine that sounds amazing.
Silver Surfer

[/quote]

[/quote]

A Ferrari 250 body kit going on a Datsun 240z with a swapped out BMW M3 (if I remember correctly) engine. No hack job though. He actually extended the wheel base four inches to match the Ferrari dimensions. When I saw the quality of his other builds I immediately knew I was going to be buying the GTV.
Silver Surfer

[/quote]
piratenanner.gif

Congratulations! I've owned a couple of the 4 door variety because of family constraints and budget. They are really fun cars but suffer from the same illnesses as the teeners. I can see from you photo you have your work cut out for you with the steel worm in attendance sawzall-smiley.gif . pay very close attention to the rockers as those are stressed body parts. The good news is most of the needed parts are available from I think its Wolf Steel productions in Canada welder.gif welder.gif .
I spent a weeks vacation helping a friend prep a GTV coupe for vintage competition in AZ, and my claim to fame is that the same friend gave me a body for a 72 Berlina (same running gear) that was at his house in PHX. My brother and I loaded an engine, transmission, radiator, wheels and tires, into a Uhaul and drove to AZ from Seattle to Mesa and put it all in the car in two days. Then drove the car from Mesa to Seattle. The car ran flawless but the transmission locked in 5th gear in Woodland California w00t.gif so I drove from Woodland to Seattle in 5th gear! When we pulled the tranny out there wasn't any adverse effects to the clutch. Long story short fun cars but alot of work, have fun aktion035.gif
from the photo of the engine it looks like a stock exhaust if you change to a header watch out as the heat can build up and boil fluid in the brake master also the stock fuel injection expert lives in Seattle google Wes Ingram he is the best with that system.
[/quote]

This gives me hope! Thanks for the contact. I'm building my vendor and suppliers lists now and will definitely get Wes Ingram on there!

Mueller
Nice starting point for the Alfa, I love it!

Good luck and make sure to post or link pictures of your progress.
jmill
I was reminiscing about my 2000 Spider and questioned if you could even get the European carb intake manifold anymore. I remember I looked everywhere and when I finally found one, it wasn't cheap. It took me months to source all the parts.

They still aren't cheap but you can buy the whole kit now! To me, it just screams hot rod Alfa.

ConeDodger
[quote name='Silver Surfer' date='Jan 31 2016, 02:46 PM' post='2296578']
[/quote]

[/quote]

A Ferrari 250 body kit going on a Datsun 240z with a swapped out BMW M3 (if I remember correctly) engine. No hack job though. He actually extended the wheel base four inches to match the Ferrari dimensions. When I saw the quality of his other builds I immediately knew I was going to be buying the GTV.
[/quote]

That body kit was good enough that Ferrari's legal department reached out and squashed it. So, it's a bit rare too... evilgrin.gif
Vysoc
Silver Surfer,

Congrats I look on EBay all the time for these and I am pining away for a 74 GTV. I am in love with the body style and ran across some cool prints of the GTV 2000.
Please PM me and I will send one to you.
I love this body style reminds me of the 2002 tii days, but I like the alfa look more!!

Congratulations on a great pick up best of luck with the restoration, engine looks nice!

Vysoc flag.gif
alfadoc
My screen name might give you a clue. I sold parts for these cars and wrenched them professionally for about 15 years. I really like Alfa coupes and sedans. The Bertone body generally is of higher quality than Pininfarina cars of the same era. PM me with any questions, glad to help, and I can point you to parts sources.
turk22
QUOTE(alfadoc @ Jan 31 2016, 07:18 PM) *

My screen name might give you a clue. I sold parts for these cars and wrenched them professionally for about 15 years. I really like Alfa coupes and sedans. The Bertone body generally is of higher quality than Pininfarina cars of the same era. PM me with any questions, glad to help, and I can point you to parts sources.

BEST....Forum....EVER!!! piratenanner.gif

You can find a alpha doc on the 914 forums! who woulda thunk it!

I have always loved the GTV and seriously looked getting one, before my 914 turned up. Good to hear that they are so well regarded

steuspeed
http://www.alfaholics.com/browse-parts-by-...es/?coupe#coupe

shades.gif

You will love it. Great cars to work on. Always wanted a GTV.
Tom_T
Silver -

You might try PM or email to Beach914 (not very active on here lately), since he's a long time old Alpha guy. Could be another good resource, in addition to those above.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Silver Surfer
Wow. You guys are amazing. The support on this board is unmatched! I'm heading out to the coast on Tuesday to pick her up. UHaul truck and car transport. Hoping for a break in the rain for the ride back. I'll post more pictures once she's home safe in the garage!

Silver Surfer
QUOTE(alfadoc @ Jan 31 2016, 04:18 PM) *

You're on my resource list now. I know I'm going to have questions on this one! Thanks!
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 31 2016, 02:27 PM) *

Silver Surfer,

Congrats I look on EBay all the time for these and I am pining away for a 74 GTV. I am in love with the body style and ran across some cool prints of the GTV 2000.
Please PM me and I will send one to you.
I love this body style reminds me of the 2002 tii days, but I like the alfa look more!!

Congratulations on a great pick up best of luck with the restoration, engine looks nice!

Vysoc flag.gif

I've always wanted a GTV too, but had almost given up on finding a clean project car. I expected that I'd end up with a BMW 2002 instead. In fact that's what my craigslist search was looking for when this one popped up on it this past week! No time to think. Send the email, get in the car, brave the mountain pass and show up with money. It hasn't sunk in yet, but when I bring her home on Tuesday I'm thinking a little mid-week celebration is in order!

I'd love a print if you have some extras! I'll PM you! Thanks!
Silver Surfer
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jan 31 2016, 04:38 PM) *

http://www.alfaholics.com/browse-parts-by-...es/?coupe#coupe

shades.gif

You will love it. Great cars to work on. Always wanted a GTV.

Whoa. Excellent resource. Thanks!
alfadoc
First lesson everyone, it's Alfa, not alpha. Stands for Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili
krazykonrad
Nice project. The 70s GTVs are awesome looking cars. beerchug.gif

Konrad
scotty b
I've been around one or two of them rolleyes.gif
MJHanna
Sorry not on my list of cars I want to associate with. After one destroyed my 69 911S on the track and the driver could not even say he was sorry. WTF.gif bootyshake.gif chair.gif I now run with an Alfa sticker on the back of the replacement 911 with an X over the ALFA sticker. driving.gif happy11.gif (You can throw a 4C my way and I would not complain.) biggrin.gif
Beach914
I love GTV' s. Used to T&D Rally with the Pebble Beach Sports Car Club in the late 70's in a friends 69. Had a few Spiders and as TomT saw, a few 164's. I would like to find a rough stepnose and convert it into a vintage racer but I'm afraid I have been priced out of the market. Always looking though.
jeff
Congrats, the GTV is one of my favorites.. The interior is beautiful , you'll love it..
RickS
Always thought the 2002 was THE car to have until I saw the sexyness of the GTV.

Congrats on your find and keep us posted
Silver Surfer
Well, she's home! Trailered her from the Oregon coast yesterday. Some pictures:

Click to view attachment

It will need lowering, but look how much narrower it is than the 914.

Click to view attachment

Silver Surfer
Noses:

Click to view attachment

johnhora
Well they look very happy together!
will be a lot of fun....good luck with the project.
Vysoc
Jealous!!

Awesome score!!

Vysoc flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.