Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racing look Steel Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
Hope this makes sense,A little while ago on this site i saw a GT style car (not sure if it was on the resto page)with what looked like really wide steels ,I can't seem to find the pics of the car any more,I think the thread was from Europe
If anyone remembers the thread or where it might be i would be greatful
Thanks Brian
Cal
Not sure if this helps but.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=249479&hl=

McMark
Trekkor had wide 4-lug wheels.

IPB Image
MoveQik
Mike's(Kansas914) car sounds exactly like what you are talking about. He has since replaced the steel wheels but I'm sure he has plenty of pics with the old ones. I looked but can't find any. It looked really sharp!
jd74914
I believe Kansas914's car had Cragar 365 wheels or something like that.

Many people here have also used diamond racing wheels which are rather modestly priced relatively lightweight steelies you can get with just about any dimensions.

I can't find a picture of his car, but a few other people have had different models of them.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=240212
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=24979
dlkawashima
Not a GT car and not what I'd call a "racing look" (unless you are planning to run Lemons), but they are wide steelies ...
IPB Image
cal914
I think the guy was from Sweden and the wheels had the shiney hub caps on
Kansas 914
Is this the car you were thinking about?

They were indeed Cragar 365 (15x7 and 15x8) 4 lug. I have since moved to 5 lug and these are just sitting in the garage. They were nicknamed "Nascar wheels" by the guys at Route 66 Classic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
1stworks
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Feb 1 2016, 07:33 AM) *

Is this the car you were thinking about?

They were indeed Cragar 365 (15x7 and 15x8) 4 lug. I have since moved to 5 lug and these are just sitting in the garage. They were nicknamed "Nascar wheels" by the guys at Route 66 Classic.

beerchug.gif
Sleepin
He could only turn left with those wheels on though.....
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 1 2016, 10:14 AM) *

He could only turn left with those wheels on though.....

That's is why the are in storage. biggrin.gif

It wasn't a problem in Kansas, I would eventually get home, but when I moved to Durango I discovered all roads are twisty! driving.gif
stugray
The reason that you see some of the 4-lug steelies widened is for vintage racing.
We are not allowed to go bigger than the stock rim diameter, so we are stuck with 15 inch rims, but we are allowed to widen them to 7 in.

There are few options for 7 in wide 15 inch 4 bolt pattern wheels, so we have to pay to widen them

There is a place in Florida (got the link somewhere) that widens them, but cost to widen + shipping is more than $200 per wheel.

I was considering gearing up & making a jig so I can do it myself, but you almost need a huge lathe to make the cuts in the first place. (If you want them perfect).

I have one set, but could use at least one extra set for rain tires/spares.
mb911
My buddy owns bassett racing wheels and could probably talk him into making some steel wheels for you guys if there were enough interest
porschetub
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 2 2016, 06:48 AM) *

The reason that you see some of the 4-lug steelies widened is for vintage racing.
We are not allowed to go bigger than the stock rim diameter, so we are stuck with 15 inch rims, but we are allowed to widen them to 7 in.

There are few options for 7 in wide 15 inch 4 bolt pattern wheels, so we have to pay to widen them

There is a place in Florida (got the link somewhere) that widens them, but cost to widen + shipping is more than $200 per wheel.

I was considering gearing up & making a jig so I can do it myself, but you almost need a huge lathe to make the cuts in the first place. (If you want them perfect).

I have one set, but could use at least one extra set for rain tires/spares.

Good points,'banding' wheels is a pain to get right,the best way is to peel out the centres and replace the outer with a one piece unit,no welds to leak air and a nice finish,often centerless outers are lighter which is a bonus for an otherwise heavy wheel.
Had a mate doing them for the hotrod guys he used a plasma to peel them in half and yes a very big old lathe,the band he had rolled be another engineering shop.....on and on really lots of labour cost.
I have been collecting 944 spacesaver rims to do a set for my car,not sure if its worth the hassle now confused24.gif .
mgp4591
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 1 2016, 03:16 PM) *

My buddy owns bassett racing wheels and could probably talk him into making some steel wheels for you guys if there were enough interest

I'd be interested... popcorn[1].gif
falcor75
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=257414&hl=

Is it Thieusters car you are thinking of?
Lennies914
One of the members here used these.

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/index.p...allenger-series
Mueller
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ Feb 2 2016, 06:55 AM) *

No 15x7 which seems odd.
Mark Henry
Get a set of rims you really like, cut the centers out, fit and weld in a new set of blank steel rims.

I just did my tractor last spring with 24"X 8" blank rims. Centering was zero issue as the barrels are a standard size, but measure the OD of you wheel center and ask the blank supplier the ID of their rim to be sure. Being a tractor I only eyeballed them with a straightedge and a tape measure, but they came out dead nuts on with no wobble. Of course for a car I would have jigged up a dial indicator.
To me the hardest part was cutting out the donor centers and painting the final product.

Personally I wish I knew how easy this was as I would have stayed 4 bolt and used my EMPI Sprint Stars.

http://www.heywheel.com/page11.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/15-Inch-Whee...15-x-8,218.html
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 2 2016, 08:03 AM) *

Get a set of rims you really like, cut the centers out, fit and weld in a new set of blank steel rims.

I just did my tractor last spring with 24"X 8" blank rims. Centering was zero issue as the barrels are a standard size, but measure the OD of you wheel center and ask the blank supplier the ID of their rim to be sure. Being a tractor I only eyeballed them with a straightedge and a tape measure, but they came out dead nuts on with no wobble. Of course for a car I would have jigged up a dial indicator.
To me the hardest part was cutting out the donor centers and painting the final product.

Personally I wish I knew how easy this was as I would have stayed 4 bolt and used my EMPI Sprint Stars.

http://www.heywheel.com/page11.html
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/15-Inch-Whee...15-x-8,218.html

Why no 15x7" wide shells?

8" too wide, only a handful of 225 tires available anymore, nice selection of 205's
Mueller
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 1 2016, 02:16 PM) *

hmmmm,

I recently contacted them to see if they have 15x7 wheel shells without the centers, no word yet.

There was another company that had them but the owner passed away last year and it looks like nobody else took over the business. (Marsh Racing Wheels)

mb911
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 4 2016, 08:56 AM) *

hmmmm,

I recently contacted them to see if they have 15x7 wheel shells without the centers, no word yet.

There was another company that had them but the owner passed away last year and it looks like nobody else took over the business. (Marsh Racing Wheels)

Ok I will find out right now going text him and get back to you
mb911
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 4 2016, 11:58 AM) *

hmmmm,

Ok already got the answer.. Question do you have any 15x7 shells with no centers you would sell? "Yes how many do you want? "
Mueller
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 4 2016, 12:02 PM) *

hmmmm,

Ok already got the answer.. Question do you have any 15x7 shells with no centers you would sell? "Yes how many do you want? "

Thanks., I did the "contact us" ...they have them for $45 each plus shipping
a tad higher than I thought they'd be, but they are DOT approved parts and not racing only or for a tractor like Mark linked to smile.gif

mb911
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 4 2016, 12:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 4 2016, 12:02 PM) *

hmmmm,

Thanks., I did the "contact us" ...they have them for $45 each plus shipping
a tad higher than I thought they'd be, but they are DOT approved parts and not racing only or for a tractor like Mark linked to smile.gif

I was just there this morning picking up pallets and they do have plenty of part on the shelf. I have some 4 lug 914 wheels I should have them convert as I can't seem to sell them as they are.
Mark Henry
The big thing is I'd measure the ID of the old and new rim.
If they are the same size then that is half of the battle won. cheer.gif
Unobtanium-inc
If anyone wants some real hairy wide ones I have 4 of these, they came in with two pallets of 356/911 wheels, you're gonna need flairs!
Hoppie944s2
How much?
mgp4591
Nice find! Now I just need to find some 16" 5 lug steelies.... shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Feb 4 2016, 03:46 PM) *

The big thing is I'd measure the ID of the old and new rim.
If they are the same size then that is half of the battle won. cheer.gif

Not going to work.

The Porsche centers are 13.25"

The Basset and others circle track shells are 12.8" and I don't think I want to remove that much material from the center due to how they are formed.

Chevy Rally wheels and a few Ford and other vehicles have the same 13.25" ID.

I found some new Toyota steel wheel take offs that are 15x6.5 not too far away, but the seller doesn't understand English enough to get me the inside dimension I'd like to confirm before driving over there!

stugray
Time to bump.

I am still looking for a place that sells (or will make) some 15X7 steel rims.

At this point I would almost take ANY wheel that fits that is a 15X7.
They are nearly impossible to find, even though I HAVE one set already.
ssuperflyoldguy
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 24 2017, 11:09 AM) *

Time to bump.

I am still looking for a place that sells (or will make) some 15X7 steel rims.

At this point I would almost take ANY wheel that fits that is a 15X7.
They are nearly impossible to find, even though I HAVE one set already.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...de=ACC-C10-1004 15x7 4-lug VW Baja Bug wheels, they make 15x8 too
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.