Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making Paper Gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nozzle
I'm putting my D-jet back together and need to replace some of the thrashed paper gaskets such as the alternator suction housing, cold start valve, etc. Some of the gaskets looked like they were simply cut from sheet gasket material so thought I could do likewise. I started looking online for paper gasket sheet vendors but wasn't sure what kind to buy. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
andys
You can buy sheet gasket material at any decent auto parts store.

Old school method to make (most) gaskets to accurately fit its' intended shape, is the hammer method. Place a section of gasket sheet on the intended surface. Using a ball peen hammer, start tapping the gasket material at the edge of the metal outline (this will shear the paper against the edge). Tap lightly, just enough to shear the gasket material without damaging metal (steel or aluminum). Follow the profile with the hammer; use the flat or the ball end of the hammer to access inside or outside profiles. Hint: If there's an inner and outer profile, do the inner first leaving a bit of gasket attached. this will help lock it into place for hammering the outside profile. I've made many gaskets using this method; some that were quite complicated.

Andys
McMark
I feel the alternator air gasket is unnecessary (although I would use them if they were commercially available).

I use a thin amount of RTV to seal the CSV.
76-914
When I was a kid you couldn't find a phone book in our house that hadn't had it's covers cut into gaskets. sunglasses.gif
thieuster
QUOTE(andys @ Jan 31 2016, 06:46 PM) *

You can buy sheet gasket material at any decent auto parts store.

Old school method to make (most) gaskets to accurately fit its' intended shape, is the hammer method. Place a section of gasket sheet on the intended surface. Using a ball peen hammer, start tapping the gasket material at the edge of the metal outline (this will shear the paper against the edge). Tap lightly, just enough to shear the gasket material without damaging metal (steel or aluminum). Follow the profile with the hammer; use the flat or the ball end of the hammer to access inside or outside profiles. Hint: If there's an inner and outer profile, do the inner first leaving a bit of gasket attached. this will help lock it into place for hammering the outside profile. I've made many gaskets using this method; some that were quite complicated.

Andys

Nice method. Another one is to cut the gasket material roughly (little larger) than the actual size. Make sure that your hands are dirty(!) and start 'rubbing' like you did with a coin, paper and pencil when you were young. When rubbing with your fingers, the black dirt on your hands will transfer to the gasket paper and the correct shape will appear. Then, with scissors, you can cut the gasket into the correct shape.

M
Valy
Paper bag, cereals box and other make perfect gaskets.
Look at my signature smile.gif
cary
Ditto on the other methods.

But I inherited a set of gasket hole cutters for cutting out the the bolt holes. Work slick. Cut out the gasket. Lay it on a piece of wood. Punch the hole(s).
I think NAPA has 5-6 different sheets available................
Bartlett 914
I use a precision hole punch for making nice holes. Mine is inch but it works for most everything I have needed. I also use a copy machine. Sometimes you can place the part on the machine and scan it. Really works nice if you have a gasket that is new or in decent condition
Hole punch kit
bozo914
For a cheap alternative to hole punches, short lengths (2-3") of steel tubing, with one end ground down to a sharp edge.
stugray
I use the red Loctite gasket maker from Jakes engine sealant pack.
It contains Dirko, Curil, Permatex, Loctite, etc.

I don't remember the exact item designation, but I can look when I get home.

It is red and looks like jelly.
Jake says that if you use that, you should NOT use paper gaskets, JUST the sealant.

I use it on things like the oil filter bracket.
johnhora
rachet tool sockets work well for holes of various sizes

old school...we save every old gasket for a pattern and every scrap of material is good for a smaller gasket

roll of gasket material...or can get sheets....visit your local ole time parts/w machine shop...they'll appreciate it and will have some gasket material

smoke.gif

Click to view attachment
stugray
The stuff I use in place of paper gaskets (oil seal not fuel) is Loctite 518 Gasket maker

https://www.peterbiltparts.com/shop-supplie...yWLUaAj1U8P8HAQ
mbseto
QUOTE(Valy @ Jan 31 2016, 07:52 PM) *

Look at my signature smile.gif

That's awesome!
cary
QUOTE(cary @ Feb 1 2016, 07:38 AM) *

Ditto on the other methods.

But I inherited a set of gasket hole cutters for cutting out the the bolt holes. Work slick. Cut out the gasket. Lay it on a piece of wood. Punch the hole(s).
I think NAPA has 5-6 different sheets available................

We too have an entire tote of old gaskets. Probably 50 years worth.
Kraftwerk
Buy the gasket paper from Napa and cut your own w/exacto blade. I just made one for my 911 steering rack cover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.