Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: clutch fork bushing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomrev
I suspect I am loosing a fair amount of motion due to a worn bushing in my clutch fork. Any ideas where a new one is available, and if you destroy the old one getting it out? I have a spare fork with a better bushing, but think it will be toast by the time I extract it. Search was no help. Thanks.
tomrev
QUOTE(tomrev @ Jan 31 2016, 12:18 PM) *

I suspect I am loosing a fair amount of motion due to a worn bushing in my clutch fork. Any ideas where a new one is available, and if you destroy the old one getting it out? I have a spare fork with a better bushing, but think it will be toast by the time I extract it. Search was no help. Thanks.

Have found some sources, just would appreciate hearing how members R&R'ed the new one, thanks.
McMark
I use a small chisel to chip out the old one. I've never gotten one out in one piece .
sean_v8_914
previous owners may have let the bushing wear thru completely. when this happens, it also wears a rounded pocket under the bushing. this unsupported cavity will cause the new bushing to fail. a small dab of JB weld will fix this. i also apply a thin smear of grease to the new bushing to prevent the JB from adhering to it. this enables future bushing service 10 years from now
sean_v8_914
another consideration while you are in there is flywheel condition. a flywheel that has been cut will compromise the travel relationship of the throwout bearing fork.

before you remove the gearbox, make note of where the fork exits the hole in the gear box bell housing. a poorly cut flywheeel or one that has been re-surfaced multiple times will consume the avialable space for fork movement thru the exit hole.

a WASHER UNDER THE PIvot ball will help restore this relationship
tomrev
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 31 2016, 02:05 PM) *

another consideration while you are in there is flywheel condition. a flywheel that has been cut will compromise the travel relationship of the throwout bearing fork.

before you remove the gearbox, make note of where the fork exits the hole in the gear box bell housing. a poorly cut flywheeel or one that has been re-surfaced multiple times will consume the avialable space for fork movement thru the exit hole.

a WASHER UNDER THE PIvot ball will help restore this relationship

Thanks everybody! I have a new flywheel, and noticed the surface plane for the clutch was about 1/8th in. different than the Chevy flywheel/ block that came out of the car. (new Honda going in). This showed up as soon as it was bolted together, with half the "window" being used just to contact the clutch fingers. I took it apart, bent the clutch fork for more travel, but didn't accomplish much, so checked the bushing. I have also added a second washer, so combined with the fresh bushing, hope to have it right. Again, thanks for the ideas!
tomrev
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jan 31 2016, 02:00 PM) *

previous owners may have let the bushing wear thru completely. when this happens, it also wears a rounded pocket under the bushing. this unsupported cavity will cause the new bushing to fail. a small dab of JB weld will fix this. i also apply a thin smear of grease to the new bushing to prevent the JB from adhering to it. this enables future bushing service 10 years from now

Glad you mentioned the JB weld trick. I looked at both forks I have, and can see they must be machined with a small divot at the center of the hole, causing all the new installed bushings to wear out. I'll follow your advice, thanks!
rhodyguy
That's really a great pivot bushing tip Sean.
porschetub
QUOTE(tomrev @ Feb 1 2016, 09:18 AM) *

Mine had all but gone and had been packed out a conical washer,not good metal to metal however dry.gif .
Think I got mine from Pelican cheap enough from memory ,the new was a tight fit.
This is a really good time while everything is apart to go over all the wear parts,saves a bit of grief later.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.