Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signals bad, hazards ok
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
astronomerdave
Either direction turn signal will blink, but there are two problems: 1) the dash indicators both blink at half brightness, and 2) there is a huge draw which pulls the battery voltage down from 13v to about 10v while the relay is closed. The outside indicators blink, so I can drive the car and use the turn signals but this can't be good; something is clearly wrong.

However, I can turn on my hazards and both blink fine, the dash indicators both blink at full brightness, and there is no huge drop in voltage.

How can this be? Any idea what is wrong?
astronomerdave
I just found this schematic in another post,

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2288415

If that 4-way switch is my hazard switch, then it looks like the hazards get their ground from a different place than the stalk switch does. That might explain the two different behaviors.
Eric_Shea
Yup. They get their power from different places as well. One is switched and one is not (hazards and parking lights need to work sans key). Guessing a steering column switch ground issue.
astronomerdave
Ok, an update. I pulled the instrument panel and the relay out of its socket so that I could check the ground from the indicator lamps in the tach to the relay. The connectors were a little corroded (as most are) but continuity present, though resistance high. I seated the relay and the leads to the indicator lamps and now I have a different situation!

Now, when the turn signals are on, only the correct indicator flashes at full brightness as it should -- not both -- but more rapidly than the hazards, and there is still a large current draw, such that the 13.8v battery sags to about 12v. All outside turn signals are still blinking. It's the dragging the battery down that concerns me most of all.

I guess the only thing not in common is the turn signal switch. How do I check/remove that?

Here's a video, not very good, maybe doesn't reveal anything new

pvollma
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Feb 1 2016, 01:37 AM) *

and there is still a large current draw, such that the 13.8v battery sags to about 12v. All outside turn signals are still blinking. It's the dragging the battery down that concerns me most of all.

My 76 has the appearance group voltmeter, and it flickers in time with the turn signals, dropping about 2 volts with each flash. I've read posts on here that seem to indicate that that is "normal."
porschetub
QUOTE(pvollma @ Feb 2 2016, 03:47 PM) *

and there is still a large current draw, such that the 13.8v battery sags to about 12v. All outside turn signals are still blinking. It's the dragging the battery down that concerns me most of all.

My 76 has the appearance group voltmeter, and it flickers in time with the turn signals, dropping about 2 volts with each flash. I've read posts on here that seem to indicate that that is "normal."

Would worn/burn contacts in the flasher relay have a bit to do with voltage drop,just asking smile.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(astronomerdave @ Feb 1 2016, 12:37 AM) *

and there is still a large current draw, such that the 13.8v battery sags to about 12v.

Where are you measuring the voltage drop? At the battery? At the dash voltmeter?

Since the flasher acts differently after cleaning the contacts, I'd do that again to make sure everything is ok.

You mentioned hyperflashing. I didn't think the standard 914 flasher would do that. Do they flash at 2x rate?
astronomerdave
QUOTE(Spoke @ Feb 2 2016, 05:11 AM) *

Where are you measuring the voltage drop? At the battery? At the dash voltmeter?

Since the flasher acts differently after cleaning the contacts, I'd do that again to make sure everything is ok.

You mentioned hyperflashing. I didn't think the standard 914 flasher would do that. Do they flash at 2x rate?

I'm measuring at the dash voltmeter, as shown in the video above, but I did also measure it at the battery to confirm it was the same. No, they don't flash at twice the rate, just slightly faster than the hazards.
euro911
QUOTE(pvollma @ Feb 1 2016, 06:47 PM) *
The OEM volt meter in my 75 reacts the same way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.