Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stainless Fuel Line Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clapeza
I got the excellent set of pre-bent stainless steel fuel lines from Racer Chris some time ago, and got around to installing them. My car is a '70.

I can get the thicker line about halfway in (approximately) before it seems to hang up on something. I can rotate the line a few degrees and push a little, but it seems to be catching on something. The engine is still in the car.

Is there a trick to how to wiggle it? The rear firewall grommet is toast, so it's not a question of lube.

There used to be a YouTube video of one of our users installing his line, but I get a "You can't play this video in your country" or similar error message. (I am in the US, along with the original video poster, btw.)

Suggestions welcome.

Chester
74ravenna
Do you have your floor board exposed? Carpeting out?
There are a couple openings on the tunnel that'll let you guide the line through with something slim enough to fit into those openings.
I lifted my shifter just a little bit to give me more room to get in the tunnel.
Its just a matter of trial and error but you will get it.

Steve
rhodyguy
does the line hit the pass side rear tire and restrict the insertion angle? greenie and i just went thru this yesterday. take the tire off if it's in the way. have you bent open the little metal tabs about 1/2 way thru the tunnel that secure the lines? while one person can do the task it's much easier with an extra set of eyes and hands. you do have the fuel tank out right? not that comes into play just yet but it will.
Krieger
You need to look inside the tunnel and see whats in the way.
02loftsmoor
Clay claims you need to remove the shift linkage, I saw Clay do one with out the shifter, when right in
bigkensteele
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Feb 1 2016, 08:12 AM) *

Clay claims you need to remove the shift linkage, I saw Clay do one with out the shifter, when right in

I don't think that I needed to pull my shifter to run mine, but it has been a while. It may have been out anyway. If you do pull it, make sure you mark it on the adjustment splines or you will have another job on your hands.

I do recall that you can use a mirror in the front and rear access panels to see in the tunnel. That might help you identify the obstruction.
mepstein
QUOTE(02loftsmoor @ Feb 1 2016, 11:12 AM) *

Defiantly not. I used my son as a spotter. I was in the engine compartment. The engine was out of the car. He made sure the lines made good forward progress. It took 5 minutes. I know others have done it with the engine in the car but I had to drop the engine for other reasons so it was the right time to do the lines.
rhodyguy
To access the center tunnel under the shifter, side shift, just remove the 3 bolts and spin the shifter 90*. For a tail shifter, just remove the bolts and lift the shifter out. This will give you some room to work. Curt and I did not have to pull the assem yesterday. If you feel you HAVE to remove the shifter, side shift, release the shift lever from the yoke. Not the yoke from the front rod. This preserves the current orientation.
EdwardBlume
Don't risk losing the line. Pull the shifter, move the rear connection out of the way.
clapeza
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 1 2016, 10:33 AM) *

does the line hit the pass side rear tire and restrict the insertion angle? greenie and i just went thru this yesterday. take the tire off if it's in the way.

Yep, forgot to mention that the passenger rear wheel is off, for that exact reason.

have you bent open the little metal tabs about 1/2 way thru the tunnel that secure the lines?

I found 2 sets of tabs, one set near the rear access port, and one just rear of the shifter.

while one person can do the task it's much easier with an extra set of eyes and hands. you do have the fuel tank out right? not that comes into play just yet but it will.

Yes, fuel tank is out, boiled out, resealed, painted, and anxious to be back in place!

clapeza
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 1 2016, 11:49 AM) *

To access the center tunnel under the shifter, side shift, just remove the 3 bolts and spin the shifter 90*. For a tail shifter, just remove the bolts and lift the shifter out. This will give you some room to work. Curt and I did not have to pull the assem yesterday. If you feel you HAVE to remove the shifter, side shift, release the shift lever from the yoke. Not the yoke from the front rod. This preserves the current orientation.

I removed the three bolts, but just rotated the shifter a bit. I'll try rotate it the full 90 degrees and pull it out. I wasn't sure how difficult it would be, or how much extra work I'd me making for myself. (Still a tail shifter.)

I have one of those inspection cameras on a gooseneck. With the shifter out, hopefully I'll have enough room to maneuver it and see what it's catching on.

Thanks for the help so far!!
stugray
My solution:
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_24s6bqkkgc_b

USB borescopes for under $20.
They work great for this sort of thing.

I bought one from China for $15 and it works perfectly with any android device.

I was using it just last night to help me navigate on the backside of my dashboard.
sfrenck
Two people.... no need to take the shift linkage out.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Feb 1 2016, 11:56 AM) *

Two people.... no need to take the shift linkage out.

agree.gif
johnhora
install slow and easy with patience ....two people even better

stugray...Thanks for the link....that's great!

Rotary'14
QUOTE(clapeza @ Feb 1 2016, 06:56 AM) *

I got the excellent set of pre-bent stainless steel fuel lines from Racer Chris some time ago, and got around to installing them. My car is a '70.

I can get the thicker line about halfway in (approximately) before it seems to hang up on something. I can rotate the line a few degrees and push a little, but it seems to be catching on something. The engine is still in the car.

Is there a trick to how to wiggle it? The rear firewall grommet is toast, so it's not a question of lube.

There used to be a YouTube video of one of our users installing his line, but I get a "You can't play this video in your country" or similar error message. (I am in the US, along with the original video poster, btw.)

Suggestions welcome.

Chester

Hi Chester,,,
I would get some one's help for about half an hour. slowly insert the line until it hangs up and then back it out a bit. Have your helper watch the lines go in and see what's it hitting. You can use small mirrors on handles to see in the center tunnel. It could be anything. so you should try to get some eyes on it.

I have to make a new video with no music.

-Robert
pete000
I did mine solo and with the engine in place. I do think I had the shifter out.
mapguy
Hmmm... I did mine straight up by myselft, but with the engine out and wheels off (my 914's natural state blink.gif ). I found a trick of turning the front of the fuel line down into the lower right corner of the tunnel. It took a couple tries, but on about the third try it went through no problem. I wrapped the end with blue painter's tape to keep the rubber cap on that Racer Chris so thoughtfully supplied with the kit. I haven't driven the car yet, but tested the shifter and it has full range without banging on anything.

I seem to remember reading that you have to point the front of the line to the lower right to clear what needs to be cleared. if you don't, and you pull the shifter and what not, you might end up with problems later.
ClayPerrine
The reason for taking the shifter out is because there is a pair of metal retainers for the fuel lines that are next to it. Plus it makes it easier to guide them into the front gas tank area.

Make sure you put some rubber over the outside of the lines and push the retainers down, or they will hit the shift linkage when you go for first or reverse.
rhodyguy
Thank you clay. I thought I was losing my mind. Tonight has wiped out just about all I have left.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.