Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help with seatbelt installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cooper951
My '74 came with racing seats and five point harnesses, and I want to replace the harnesses with three point retractable belts. I see the holes at the top of the pillar for installation, but the back pad "cover" which has been installed covers up the area below where I assume the retractor should be installed. Just wanted to get some idea before I started tearing into it, so is this where the retractor is installed?

Also, looking at Vintage Warehouse 65 to possibly get the belts. Anyone have any dealings, good or bad, with this company? Or any other suggestions besides Pelican Parts for $400/pr?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Series...Tl6&vxp=mtr
xperu
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Feb 2 2016, 09:17 AM) *

My '74 came with racing seats and five point harnesses, and I want to replace the harnesses with three point retractable belts. I see the holes at the top of the pillar for installation, but the back pad "cover" which has been installed covers up the area below where I assume the retractor should be installed. Just wanted to get some idea before I started tearing into it, so is this where the retractor is installed?

Also, looking at Vintage Warehouse 65 to possibly get the belts. Anyone have any dealings, good or bad, with this company? Or any other suggestions besides Pelican Parts for $400/pr?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Series...Tl6&vxp=mtr

I would first post a WTB OEM in the classified forum. Make sure you get good photos before purchase to make sure the belt is in good condition, the connections are not overused or rusted. There is some real nice OEM here and good people to deal with. Being a newbie like all of us have been at some point, you need to have caution before buying from E-bay in the beginning until you talk to guys here. welcome.png Mike
cooper951
Thanks for the advice!
Larmo63
There are a few NOS sets on eBay being sold from a company in Atlanta.

Those are the best way to go, but they are expensive. The back pad is easy to take out.
cooper951
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:20 AM) *

Those are the best way to go, but they are expensive. The back pad is easy to take out.

Stoopid question: What is NOS?
MJHanna
QUOTE(cooper951 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:27 AM) *

New Old Stock (NOS)
cooper951
QUOTE(MJHanna @ Feb 2 2016, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(cooper951 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:27 AM) *

New Old Stock (NOS)

Thanks!
Larmo63
Click to view attachment
stugray
If you arent looking for the exact stock look, summitracing has a big selection of OEM style retractable belts that might work:

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-ty...Order=Ascending

cooper951
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 2 2016, 10:49 AM) *

After your previous post, I looked at those on eBay. Look great, but you're right about the $$$. I'll have to work to get the CFO on board.
mepstein
I think 944 belts fit. The experts will chime in.
rjames
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 2 2016, 08:20 AM) *

Word of warning, even as NOS, they may not work as well as expected. Although I really didn't want to give my $ to the vendor in question, I went ahead and bought a pair a while back. The driver's side operated as new but the passenger side- not so much. Didn't retract well at all. Even if they were never installed, they are still 40+ years old.

Unless you have to have stock, there are cheaper options out there that will likely perform better.
rjames
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 2 2016, 10:01 AM) *

I think 944 belts fit. The experts will chime in.

They do with a slight mod, I believe, but I'm pretty certain you can't get new 944 belts anymore either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.