Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How I made my windshield valence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Bill's Racing 914
I made the original shape out of 2inch thick yellow wall insulation foam I bought at Home Depot. You can see the outline in the plaster mold.

I used the glass windshield I removed from the car as the guide for the knife I used to cut the leading edge radius.

To make the mold, I used 5 layers of plaster of paris and reinforced with red shop rags.

To finish the surface, I applied a thin layer of CUZ blue body filler and sanded with 80 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to keep it from coming out wavey. Then I applied six to seven coats of sandable body primer. I used 320 grit sand paper to wet sand each layer with a sanding block. It came out looking like grey gelcoat. welder.gif
Cory M
Looks good. Appears to provide more room in the cab and for your hands than the Ginther screens I've seen.
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(Cory M @ Feb 2 2016, 12:48 PM) *

Looks good. Appears to provide more room in the cab and for your hands than the Ginther screens I've seen.

Yep, I made that room for my hands on purpose. Plus I had to make room for the oil idiot light and the shift light.

I plan on extending back a cover over the passenger side all the way top the firewall to improve airflow to the engine. This is legal in VARA racing. All the fast British cars (Spitfires, MGB's, etc.) in E and D production are set up like this.
brant
The problem is that some of the old rules require a tansluscent wind screen. Thus svra adopted that requirement
Bill's Racing 914
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 3 2016, 10:34 PM) *

The problem is that some of the old rules require a tansluscent wind screen. Thus svra adopted that requirement

Here is 914-6 racing at Willow Springs with VARA with a similar design...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.