Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LA Rally
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KaptKaos
All,

I am looking to organize a get together of SoCal folks for a little BS, a little driving and some grub. I am thinking the thrid weekend in July (7/19/03).

I am looking for ideas on where to meet, where to drive and if there is anyone that can think of a speaker or some other good reason to do this.

Drop me a line and give me your thoughts.

We did one of these a few weeks a go (Thanks Milt) and we met in Long Beach. Maybe this time we could meet in the same place and then take a trip out towards Irvine Lake and drive some of them canyons. Theres a burger joint out there we could end up at too.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Joe assimilate.gif
Brad Roberts
DOH !!

I'll see if I can make it down for the event. Another club member sent me an email today asking me to annouce a NorCal swap meet on Sunday July 20th.

I would really like to come down and do a LA fun run.

B
Scott Carlberg
Joe,
a socal fun run does sound good.

Keep us informed, eh?
drew365
FYI; TRE in North Hollywood has a rally to Solvang scheduled for June 29/29. They usually get a good turnout.
Aaron Cox
sounds good!

places to drive? mountain roads! tongue.gif
seanery
B- let's take my white car down there.
KaptKaos
Drew365,

FYI; TRE in North Hollywood has a rally to Solvang scheduled for June 29/29. They usually get a good turnout.

Sorry to ask but who is TRE? It's a little short notice for me, but I'd like to call them and see what the deal is.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe assimilate.gif
seanery
toad racing, Dave Buzaglou's company. They do some really nice cars...did my buddy's IROC clone. He's big into the R Gruppe (I think it's that one). They will have a lot of cars of the same vintage as ours.
seanery
TRE Web
KaptKaos
Looks like a lot of 911s. I like them and all, but I do not like their tail lights too much.

- Joe assimilate.gif
73 1.7
kdfoust
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 13 2003, 11:15 PM)
All,

I am looking to organize a get together of SoCal folks for a little BS, a little driving and some grub. I am thinking the thrid weekend in July (7/19/03).

<snip>

Maybe this time we could meet in the same place and then take a trip out towards Irvine Lake and drive some of them canyons. Theres a burger joint out there we could end up at too.

<snip>

Our annual Ireland trip is tentatively (high airfares, bad $->euro rate may make me stay home this year) scheduled for that time period but I do have some input on the routing.

The Ortega, and the Santa Ana mountain canyons are aggressively patroled by Irvine PD, OC Sheriffs and CHP on weekends. It's also freak'n hot by July but the driving is okay: plan on doing the speed limit (and take the dang race numbers off your cars!).

A pleasant run would take you down PCH from Newport or Corona Del Mar (stopping at the impromtu car show North of Laguna to stare at the Ferarri and Aston Martin crowd cars) through Dana Point. You can stop at the Doheny State Park and park along the beach front (I see a lot of car clubs doing this) to BS for awhile and enjoy the scenery tongue.gif . Then north-east through San Juan Capistrano and up the Ortega to a little speed limit-canyon carving looping back towards Irvine and the freeway.

If turns out that I'm going to be here in July, I'd be happy to help organize something. MDB2.gif

Have fun,
Kevin

PS - I did the TRE New Years Day rally. It was fun but everybody got lost.... There were lots of VERY expensive pasta cars along with the usual p-car emergency number crowd. The sound of those Ferarris going through road tunnels was worth the ride though.
Aaron Cox
PCH route sounds tight...driven it before. i was on my way to a job, and i had to take this 2 lane "mountain" style road. no cops anywhere. how can something in the middle of 4 or 5 cities be like in the middle of nowhere? this is an impromptu/abstract of how this road is. I think drifter jay migh know:

Hey JAY,
you know the cajalco - lake matthews road?
Steve
I went to the Long Beach get together and Breakfast and had a great time.
A half day trip would be awesome.
Anything longer than that and I have to get double secret permission from the Wife....
seanery
Steve, the avatar looks great!
It's a little out of square, though.
Use the dimensions 125 x 94 and it will be awesome!!
Steve
It is 125 x 94.
I think its the picture and the angle.
I will try some other pictures.

thanks,

Steve
seanery
The image itself may be. Check in your avatar settings.

No biggie, just trying to show off your car a bit.
Steve
Thanks I appreciate the help!!
I love your picture.
That's a priceless picture.
I need to get some descent pictures away from the house and maybe a better angle.
I will keep playing with the settings.

Steve
KaptKaos
Steve, the avatar looks great!
It's a little out of square, though.
Use the dimensions 125 x 94 and it will be awesome!!

You like the avatar, you should see the car!

BIG MOTOR

- Joe
73 1.7 (little motor)
KaptKaos
Kevin,

The Ortega, and the Santa Ana mountain canyons are aggressively patroled by Irvine PD, OC Sheriffs and CHP on weekends. It's also freak'n hot by July but the driving is okay: plan on doing the speed limit (and take the dang race numbers off your cars!).

A pleasant run would take you down PCH from Newport or Corona Del Mar (stopping at the impromtu car show North of Laguna to stare at the Ferarri and Aston Martin crowd cars) through Dana Point. You can stop at the Doheny State Park and park along the beach front (I see a lot of car clubs doing this) to BS for awhile and enjoy the scenery  . Then north-east through San Juan Capistrano and up the Ortega to a little speed limit-canyon carving looping back towards Irvine and the freeway.

If turns out that I'm going to be here in July, I'd be happy to help organize something.  

Have fun,
Kevin

This is a first for me and I am looking for input/help. Not sure what or how to do this, but I figured I'd give it a shot. If you have some details on your route(s) please send them along. I could use the help.

Thanks,
Joe assimilate.gif
Aaron Cox
why so far into july? why not in lets say,... 2 weeks?
kdfoust
It looks like over on Pelican there's a drive getting setup for 6/29.
Aaron Cox
tell em to cross post it here too. im not a pp registered dude. mexico is pretty far man....an what if?....ask em if we could keep it north of mexico rolling.gif
KaptKaos
Acox,

Two weeks would be fine too, but I was trying to give peopel time and maximize the turn out. I am game for two weeks.

Let me know what you were thinking.

- Joe
Aaron Cox
im sorta new to the organizing part also wink.gif , the thing is, i dont know my work schedule after two weeks from now....(being a lifegaurd has flexible hours~ sorta/kinda) when/wherever, there just needs to be food and "spirited driving" involved. and also, where is everybody located (if in LA you dont want to drive all the way to mexico smile.gif ) im game for the kdfoust route on PCH....mexico is just a tad too far biggrin.gif
seanery
I like the northern area-around the rock store where the bikers ride-kinda near Campbell's place I think.

but I'm in Indy.
Red-Beard
Mexico isn't that far...I'm only 15 miles to the Boarder and I'm _North_ of the main city of San Diego.....

If you want "Spirited" driving, there is much less in the way of Patrols there. And we're talking less than 1 hour driving south of the Boarder.

James
seanery
Do you stop and buy "Mexico Insurance" before you go in? I never drove in, but heard it was a good idea since most insurance companies don't cover you while in Mexico.
DrifterJay
hey Aaron..not sure of the road you are speaking of, but, I know several killer lightly used roads in deluz and la cresta with downhill offcamber turns. There is a good route that I can get you guys that is about 20 miles of bitching two lane balls to the walls ( I mean nice slow) roads that you can drive with very nice scenery. And absolutely no police whatsoever...If your interested.
Jared biggrin.gif
DrifterJay
The idea of getting my car taken away forever because a cop does not like the way you look does not justify driving in Mexico. I dont know...
Jared
Aaron Cox
my bad jay. for some reason i thought you were from temecula wacko.gif . are you talking about the mt. baldy roads?
DrifterJay
nope, not mt. baldy...and Im closer than u think, Murrieta. Murrieta and Temecula has so many killer places to drive, if you know where ph34r.gif
There are tons of cool places that connect you to rainbow, and fallbrook, and escondido...up through the mountains filled with orangegroves. Never took much time to drive...but I used to train up there for about 3 years...So I know the roads. Remember, I am just a kid, have had license for 1.5 years..
Jared
Aaron Cox
me too, im 17.
DrifterJay
Hey, you just graduated right? Its Monday and were not in class...isnt it kind of trippy?
Jared
Aaron Cox
i got one more year sad.gif i just turned 17 ....
Aaron Cox
i got to go to work in a half hour tho smile.gif saving up for the 5 lug conversion
DrifterJay
well, your probably much more responsible than I am..but word of advice...DONT SLACK OFF...I never ditched once until my senior year...why Did I start...well I have absolutely no idea..I nearly didnt graduate. By doing that I put such a strain on family and friends for such stupid reasons...Oh I dont know why I am blabbering...not the the thread to do this...lol
Jared blink.gif
DrifterJay
have fun, I go to work in 3 weeks...basic training... gunner.gif
Aaron Cox
lol... ive only ditched 3 classes in 3 years, (you know, when youre really having a crappy day!) also, my problem is I do good first semester (like close to 4.0 good) and slack the 2nd one....got a 3.4 ~ parents want me to be an engineer....
now im blabbering wacko.gif
Aaron Cox
well anyway, you up for a drive later today? im nt sure when i get off of work, whats a good road thats between corona and murrieta?
DrifterJay
lol sorry Kapt. Chaos...Going to go play the lemans game that was posted a day or to ago...will write up a comprehensive review..have dled about 60 other cars...peace
Jared
DrifterJay
hmmm...could take you into La Cresta and Drop down into Deluz and cruise..not sure...lots of places..
DrifterJay
what time did u have in mind
Aaron Cox
ill post back here later..after work.
DrifterJay
aight. latez
Aaron Cox
so you live off the I 15 / I 215. i live off the I 15 / 91. there is a road that goes thru lake mathews, clear goes from the 15 to the 215 riht by "el cerrito" on the map. (highlighted in green)

this is just a suggestion. whats your idea:
DrifterJay
ok..first, one problem though..I am not driving right now...lol. In a week I will be if your interested. But if you wanna come here and pick me up its all good. lol. You can chill over here play pool and whatnot. But anywayz, on this map, there are several roads between clinton keith and deluz road that tie them together throught the mountains...Its pretty cool. Oh well, later

Jared
DrifterJay
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?addto....x=0&submit.y=0

here it is map wouldnt post up..
DrifterJay
hit west like 3 or 4 times...lol Oh i give up..lol
bernbomb914
There are lots of 2 lane roads that go thur southwest riverside county that are low traffic and nice scenery with twisties 27 degree slopes etc. big horse ranches ,avocado and citrus and winerys could be lots of fun. You could come thru Corona down I 15 and go home from oceanside on I 5 nice big loop.

Bernie driving.gif
Aaron Cox
so, bernbomb, are you intersted too? we can wait a week
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.