Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A 914 Feature or 914 Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFix
I accidently hit the turn signal lever getting out of the car, and noticed that the left side parking lights (front and back) were on, corresponding to the turn signal lever being in the left position. This is with the key out of the ignition and the lights turned off. If I select the right side turn signal position, the parking lights on that side turn on. With the turn signal in the off position all the lights are off.

With the ignition on, everything works properly; turn signals, parking lights, headlights etc.

I just pulled the steering wheel and turn signal / wiper switches to replace the washer hoses and had to remove the gauges to get access so I have removed and reconnected the connector from the turn signal along with all the other bits and pieces to complete that job, so if this shouldn't be happening, I'm pretty sure it's related to this activity.

I never tried turning the turn signal on without power, so I don't know if that has always worked that way or if it is supposed to work that way.

Thanks for all the help I've been able to get from this forum!
Kargeek
I believe this a parking feature held over on the US spec cars for the narrow roads in europe. You can park your car and depending on which side of the road you were on, you leave the signal lamp on to warn other cars. DH
sj914
I read somewhere that it's a safety feature used somewhere in Europe for when you park the car around town, people driving by can see your car so they can avoid crashing into it. I might be wrong though.
Reiche
Definitely a feature, as the other guys said. My Benz does the same thing but on the headlight switch. Newer Porsches have it there now too.
pete-stevers
just found this out by acceident the other day I am sure glad that it is not a electrical poltergiest biggrin.gif
Howard
Yup, Euro requirement for parking at night on narrow streets. Either side lights up.
ChrisFix
Thanks for the confirmation. I was really hoping that this wasn't some sort of gremlin, as I checked and re-checked everything and couldn't find any reason for a problem. Funny how the timing works on discovering things like this - right after disassembling the switch.

Anyway, all is right in the 914 world...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.