Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd shift issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
falcor75
I'm on the verge of getting my 94 out driving again after 3 years.

When i dryshift in the garage I can get all gears but changing from 2:nd to 3:rd I have to double clutch, but 2:nd to 4th goes flawlessly.

I figured I'd ask before i experient further with the shifter settings.

(Rennshift + Tangerine shift adjuster and Tangerine firewall bushing, all plastic bushings and cone screws are new)
MJHanna
Have you checked the free play on the clutch cable?
falcor75
Doh.....I meant third to fourth is hard to get without doubleclutching, third to fifth works like a charm every time.
screenguy914
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Feb 3 2016, 10:08 AM) *

Doh.....I meant third to fourth is hard to get without doubleclutching, third to fifth works like a charm every time.

Upshifting from gear to gear (1>2>3>4>5) shouldn't be a problem since engine rpm decreases to match output shaft rotational speed. The typical issue is difficulty when downshifting from gear to gear.

Since shifting to 4th seems to be the issue, how does it shift from 5th > 4th?

S

stugray
Dry shifting with the car not moving is always hit or miss.

I just learned to take the tools to make the adjustment with me when I go for the first drive.
Plan on making the final tweaks on the side of the road.

And once the engine is running, sit for a while and figure out your clutch engagement point.
Having the clutch cable too loose is the #1 reason for shifting problems.
r_towle
if you have a side shifter....

a 13mm socket on a long extention for the shifter rod nut behind the shifter.
A pair of vice grips to hold the shift rod while you adjust things, rear of seat via access hole.

Two 11mm wrenches to loosen and tighten the clutch cable nuts under the car.

a blanket to lay on.

Go for a drive and keep adjusting till it works.

Agree though, dry shifting is not a good way to know...the whole assembly needs to be moving and the oil should be hot, not below freezing, and yours is below freezing right now..
falcor75
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 3 2016, 11:06 PM) *

if you have a side shifter....

a 13mm socket on a long extention for the shifter rod nut behind the shifter.
A pair of vice grips to hold the shift rod while you adjust things, rear of seat via access hole.

Two 11mm wrenches to loosen and tighten the clutch cable nuts under the car.

a blanket to lay on.

Go for a drive and keep adjusting till it works.

Agree though, dry shifting is not a good way to know...the whole assembly needs to be moving and the oil should be hot, not below freezing, and yours is below freezing right now..

I wont be able to really drive the car for a few months yet. I just wanted to get it as close as possible for the upcoming rolling road session, and my oil isnt that cold, got a nice constant 68 degrees in my garage. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.