Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really nice 914-6 on eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
There probably a thread on this car somewhere, but I couldn't find it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/

Looks like a really nice car! I was scrolling through the pictures and...

- oh ride height looks like (to me) for a 100% stock car - no big deal

- surprised they didn't add back the -6 goop on top of the front shock towers

- dash and sun visor vinyl looks old/sloppy/droopy

- I could be wrong, but the calipers almost look spray painted gold, and not re-plated. Just a weird color and notice how the bolts are plated and looks like there is overspray on the brake pads.

- underside of rear trunk does not look anywhere near perfect that a $140k car should

- and black painted (or something) hard brake lines. should be grey/silver.

All the above is somewhat forgivable, very nice car, $140k (no way BTW), but then... I'm scrolling...

AND it hit me...

KYB shocks!?!?!

HAHAHA!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What were they thinking?!?! Spray painted calipers is one thing, but KYB shocks?!?!!?!

-Steve
siverson
Spray paint on caliper. Spend $1,500 and really do it right and make the calipers perfect - but this type of work takes would could be an $80k car to $50k - paranoia grows and now lots of things to correct.

-Steve

siverson
I can't help myself and keep looking. Looks like someone got "caliper plating" on the a-arm too! Doh.

Too bad. Probably presented better before they tried to "improve" things.

Oh and the front strut should be grey, not black.

-Steve

Larmo63
That isn't a $100,000.00 car, let alone $140K

What a joke. KYBs?
iankarr
Peeling vinyl on the dash, too. Apparently THOSE nuts and bolts don't count in a 140K nut and bolt resto.

Too many shortcuts. This car isnt anything close to what they say it is.
Gustl
this one has already been on eBay last November - for US$ 150,000 / make offer ...

well, it didn't sell smile.gif
pete000
At that price point there should be nothing incorrect. This seems a bit of an amateur resto...IMHO
SKL1
I'll drive mine down there and take a look at it- might wait a week though as traffic is crazy all around that area with the PHX Open this week and weekend...
Boy, with all those items that need attention, I should use that to negotiate it down to 50 k.
cwpeden
Don't recall ever seeing crested hubcaps before? Are those authentic?
euro911
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 3 2016, 11:07 PM) *
Boy, with all those items that need attention, I should use that to negotiate it down to 50 k.
Well, there's that 'Supply and Demand' business model in actual practice. Maybe someone will pay $140k for it. Not me though shades.gif
JawjaPorsche
Missing door air vents. Need to call Mikey!
carr914
Bubble blowup.gif
mskala
Rear bumper is not the early one.

Also, unless it was a mid-year transition, the Wurth seam sealer in the trunks should
be thin brushed, not thick bubbly stuff.

Overspray on the karmann door tag.

Still looks very good overall.

rgalla9146
No picture of the engine ?
As mentioned KYB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ?
Radio ? Close ......no cigar....... no antenna.
Calipers...... eeeew
Rear bumper ?...... easy way out.
Rivets on rockers......no friggin way.
Wrong interior lamp.
Tool kit 1. only one screwdriver
2. only three wrenches, not drop forged
3. extra, incorrect spark plug socket and some random shaft thing next to screwdriver.
4. wrong era lug wrench.
5. no double box wrench.
6. no fan belt.
7. no fuse pack........what else ? new repro bag.
The jack has no tommy bar and no black rubber band
What are those suspicious bumps in the right rear wheelhouse ?
No tar on front strut towers.
On a positive note the wheel and hubcaps are correct and look great and are not the knee jerk reaction of Fuchs or gas burners. Are the wheels all dated to the car ?
Most curious of all, paint removed in right front wheelhouse below chassis VIN stamping.
dflesburg
for much less than that you could buy a new GT4 or a Spyder and get AC and Heat...
sbsix
Sixes didn't come with plastic door vents, but for $140,000 they should!

I've seen some of the very best original and restored 914-6s and they wouldn't even command this kind of speculative asking price. But you never know about some people with a ton of money and thinking they can buy it, hold it for a bit and then try to flip it for more. I've seen it with other marques and the early Porsches.
rhodyguy
4 or 5 pictures of the r rear quarter. Ok, it's shiny. Great lighting for the photos but wtf? You know that during resto a gazillion photos had to be taken. Where are the money shots? Does this car have heat exchangers or headers? I almost wish it is a rusty pos beneath the 'shine' and the speculator who buys it gets burned. I think in person, an informed buy would be able to nit pick this car to pieces. Throwing the kybs on it is plain old profit margin boosting.
I just called and spent 15mins talking to their sales mgr.
It's a third owner car out of Arizona, top end of engine was done and supposedly all parts in trans were replaced. ...yaaaa maybe they just reuse acceptable parts. .who knows.
When I asked about the KYB that only last a year, response was that's what the previous owner had so we reuse them
So if anyone has 145k, go ahead and jump on it. I will pass.
racerbvd
beer.gif How they should look..
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(racerbvd @ Feb 4 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Looks great, but I'm sure there's a member that is interested in this -6
CatDaddy60
Barret Jackson sucker car! Get it close enough and when the money boys come to town pawn it off as the real deal... I'm not saying its right but I've seen it before with ALFAs years ago. Shame on them
fixer34
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Feb 4 2016, 01:20 AM) *

I believe so. Mine has ones just like them (not quite as shiny...). Came with steelies instead of Fuchs.
racerbvd
QUOTE(396 @ Feb 4 2016, 02:57 PM) *

QUOTE(racerbvd @ Feb 4 2016, 01:40 PM) *

Looks great, but I'm sure there's a member that is interested in this -6

They would do better to buy mine when finished.

euro911
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 4 2016, 05:49 PM) *
I believe so. Mine has ones just like them (not quite as shiny...). Came with steelies instead of Fuchs.
Yep, the 6's came with 911 steelies and flat 911 hub caps with the crests.
cwpeden
QUOTE(euro911 @ Feb 4 2016, 09:25 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Feb 4 2016, 05:49 PM) *
Yep, the 6's came with 911 steelies and flat 911 hub caps with the crests.

Those have some cool factor. I like them.
QUOTE(siverson @ Feb 3 2016, 06:15 PM) *

There probably a thread on this car somewhere, but I couldn't find it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/

Looks like a really nice car! I was scrolling through the pictures and...

- oh ride height looks like (to me) for a 100% stock car - no big deal

- surprised they didn't add back the -6 goop on top of the front shock towers

- dash and sun visor vinyl looks old/sloppy/droopy

- I could be wrong, but the calipers almost look spray painted gold, and not re-plated. Just a weird color and notice how the bolts are plated and looks like there is overspray on the brake pads.

- underside of rear trunk does not look anywhere near perfect that a $140k car should

- and black painted (or something) hard brake lines. should be grey/silver.

All the above is somewhat forgivable, very nice car, $140k (no way BTW), but then... I'm scrolling...

AND it hit me...

KYB shocks!?!?!

HAHAHA!!!! Are you kidding me?!?! What were they thinking?!?! Spray painted calipers is one thing, but KYB shocks?!?!!?!

-Steve

Just check if this -6 has sold....still available for that special someone who wants to step up for an - 6.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.