Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EndPlay Shims
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Amphicar770
I thought I saw one of the vendors selling a set of crankshaft end-play shims. Do not know if I will actually need them, just thinking ahead for when I put the new clutch and refaced flywheel back in. Do not want to pay $15 a shim for something I may not even need.

Still removing / refinishing all the tins and cleaning up the engine compartment.

Thanks,

Mike
somd914
Resurfacing the face of the flywheel shouldn't affect end play. It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.
DRPHIL914
you need to measure this before driving. if it is out of spec, you need to re-shim and recheck before putting back on the road. When i did this 2 years ago, it was just slightly off-too much play, my mechanic stopped by my garage to double check it for me( i had borrowed his meter). he said he would not even allow me to drive it to the shop out of spec, it was that important!!! he ordered shims from FAT PERFORMANCE i am pretty sure, and we re-shimmed it, remeasured, all in spec, re-assembled and drove to 2 Octeenerfests since that about 3k miles on it with new rms clutch etc and no issues.

- the shims were expensive several hundred dollars for a handful of them, we used 3 new ones to get it into spec.
stugray
QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 4 2016, 03:50 AM) *

It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.

Its actually related to how much has the axial thrust bearing surfaces of the main bearings worn. If you have had an engine apart, do you remember the flat sides of the rear main bearing?

left side in this photo:
IPB Image
somd914
QUOTE(stugray @ Feb 4 2016, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(somd914 @ Feb 4 2016, 03:50 AM) *

It is related to the mating surfaces of the crank and flywheel. If you swap flywheels, check the end play.

Its actually related to how much has the axial thrust bearing surfaces of the main bearings worn. If you have had an engine apart, do you remember the flat sides of the rear main bearing?

left side in this photo:
IPB Image

Nice shot and thanks for the clarification.

In this particular case, from my understanding but I'm still learning the internals of Type IV's, if the end play is within spec, resurfacing the flywheel will not affect it, but if changing the flywheel, verify end play as this can change due to machining differences on the crank side of the flywheel. Is that a correct statement?

Also if end play is out of spec, at what point should one be concerned about internal wear and head for a rebuild versus shimming? Is this even a valid statement.

Thanks.
DRPHIL914
There is a max that it can be out of spec, if exceeded it should be rebuilt. Some research should get you those numbers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.