Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard to start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JimN73
I have a 2056 with Webers. Haven't driven too much this winter because of the rain and the headers (no heat). Now the weather is improving and I'd like to get the car out.

But, it doesn't want to start. Battery voltage is 12.8 to 13.0. Get a squirt of gas when the gas pedal is depressed.

Starts fine if I put a charger on it, get the voltage up a bit and start with the charger hooked up.

Garage temp is in the mid-forties.

Is the temperature an issue or am I missing something?

thanks

76-914
Clean your cables, check their condition and check the ground strap off the tranny. Sounds like the voltage is dropping a bit too far during cranking.
screenguy914
QUOTE(JimN73 @ Feb 4 2016, 10:56 AM) *

I have a 2056 with Webers. Haven't driven too much this winter because of the rain and the headers (no heat). Now the weather is improving and I'd like to get the car out.

But, it doesn't want to start. Battery voltage is 12.8 to 13.0. Get a squirt of gas when the gas pedal is depressed.

Starts fine if I put a charger on it, get the voltage up a bit and start with the charger hooked up.

Garage temp is in the mid-forties.

Is the temperature an issue or am I missing something?

thanks

Open battery voltage sounds good, but still could be the battery. While cranking, observe voltage. Voltage drop during cranking is normal, but it should remain at around 10 volts for approx. 20 sec. If cranking voltage is OK but motor cranks slowly, could be the motor.

If ambient temps are below or close to freezing, that will affect the battery, especially one on the borderline, but your VM should reveal that.

Could be excessive resistance in the starting circuit (e.g. motor). Could be worn brushes, dirty commutator, open circuit in winding, bad/dirty ground connection. Before replacing it, remove it and repeat the above tests on the bench. As you're aware, starters can be disassembled and inspected, brushes replaced. It depends on your skill set and patience to explore and repair.

My best guess.
Sherwood

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.