Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garage Size - narrow?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Looking at building a detached garage to the side and back of my home. Unfortunately, when I take into consideration the 5' setbacks on the property lines, the big space I had in mind gets really cut down. I have more length than I have width. I am looking at a 16' garage, with I suppose a 14' door. I was thinking of getting a scissor lift as well. Is this workable with two car side by side? Should I just put the scissor in the center, rather than to one side? Anyway, just seeing if anyone has any experience or advice.

Thanks
Tom_T
Recheck with your city/county if that is a planning & zoning setback of 5', because by building code you can usually go down to 3' or 0' setback with the appropriate fire rating of that wall & NO openings there - i.e.: no doors/windows along that property line wall.

You may be able to squeeze 2' or more into it with a solid wall along that property line with no windows/doors & 1 hour rated wall IIRC - 2 Hr if 0' setback IIRC.

However, your local zoning code could trump that allowance, so call them.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
My snap on scissor lift fits under my car without any ramps. It can be moved if needed. Something to keep in mind when you choose a lift.
PlantMan
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 4 2016, 12:28 PM) *

Looking at building a detached garage to the side and back of my home. Unfortunately, when I take into consideration the 5' setbacks on the property lines, the big space I had in mind gets really cut down. I have more length than I have width. I am looking at a 16' garage, with I suppose a 14' door. I was thinking of getting a scissor lift as well. Is this workable with two car side by side? Should I just put the scissor in the center, rather than to one side? Anyway, just seeing if anyone has any experience or advice.

Thanks

Good info from Tom.

16' is going to be narrow unless the cars are small (914). You will have issues getting a lift in there with 2 cars. A standard (minimum) garage is typically 20' wide and 20'-22' deep and 16' door. Even this size is small if you plan on having some tools, workbench, and a occasional bike etc. You can make the 16' width work but you will need to pull one car out to work on the other. If you can go deep 25' or more then you will have good room to move around the front of the car, room for tools and a bench, etc.
I have 3 boys who have their own work space, I have move own space and the 914 sits in the middle. I have to park my cars outside of the 3 car garage!

saigon71
To give some perspective, I just bought a 14 X 20 garage. Even with the "smallish" size of our 914's, I think it would be tight to work in a 16' W space in a side by side configuration.

I'd offset the lift to one side so you have plenty of open space on the other side, or as Mark suggested, get a movable lift.

Keep us posted on what you come up with. Also, don't rule out applying for a variance with your local zoning board. I did it. It's a hassle, but may get you a few extra feet.

Click to view attachment

SA-914
When I built my garage in 2000, the city of San Antonio let me build my side wall on the property line of the alley, and my roof hang 2' into the alley. The only caveat was that I had to use 2 layers of sheetrock as a fire wall on the alley side. They could never tell me why, but I told them it was silly for me to put a fire wall for the alley, but it bought me the a couple of extra feet. I'll remeasure my garage tonight. I got a 16'? front door and 8' roll up on one side in the back to pull through.
PanelBilly
Go underground
thomasotten
I may get to 18 if i kill a young tree.

Btw, i am interested in the snap-on lifts, but where to buy??
I called their 1800 number because their website has little to show.
Then i got referred to a territorial manager who hasnt returned my call.

mepstein
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 4 2016, 06:32 PM) *

I may get to 18 if i kill a young tree.

Btw, i am interested in the snap-on lifts, but where to buy??
I called their 1800 number because their website has little to show.
Then i got referred to a territorial manager who hasnt returned my call.

I found mine on Craigslist for $500. Superlow driveover height and built like a tank. Had to rebuild the hydraulic cylinder for $180 but still worth every penny. If I had to pay double it would still be a good deal. The low stack height means I drive over it without any ramps and it disappears under the car. My wife forgets there's a lift in the garage.
Mark Henry
My car garage is 22', two by six walls so that's 21' inside which is nice, but my garage doors are 8' and I can say that's real tight.

A porsche friend (911 with a real RSR engine) has a 16' wide by at least 35' deep, but the area with a 2-post lift will only fit one car on the floor. It has a loft on one half so it's real nice, even though it's narrow.
carr914
Mine is narrow but workable due to the Lift!

Click to view attachment
BK911
16' is an awesome single car garage.
Not a workable 2 car.
After the walls, you are at 15'.
A 914 is about 6' wide?
That gives about a foot between the cars and the walls.
My belly is bigger than that!!
Chris914n6
The common thing in my hood is patio covers, as they can be built to the wall/property line. They can be enclosed as to block the view/sun/rain/whatever as long as 1 side stays open, or it becomes a building with rules and permits.
If you don't mind the dust it might meet your needs as a work space.
SA-914
22' deep x 19.5' wide x 16' door. Tight with two cars and shelves and storage on the side. It's make a great single car garage.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 4 2016, 12:34 PM) *

Recheck with your city/county if that is a planning & zoning setback of 5', because by building code you can usually go down to 3' or 0' setback with the appropriate fire rating of that wall & NO openings there - i.e.: no doors/windows along that property line wall.

You may be able to squeeze 2' or more into it with a solid wall along that property line with no windows/doors & 1 hour rated wall IIRC - 2 Hr if 0' setback IIRC.

However, your local zoning code could trump that allowance, so call them.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

agree.gif
My area has crazy setbacks listed, but you can work with them to get it to 3' or 1' with fire ratings. That usually means doing the outer wall (one on the line) with 1/2" drywall inside AND outside of the wall, then siding over the outside. I like Hardiboard for looks and paint and it happens to be fire rated as well.

My builder told me it would be $ to fire rate, only after the foundation was done did I find out it was only an extra layer of dyrwall. I've made sure to tell others I know of the way to go. My brother is reaping the rewards of my zoning mistakes on his new garage.

Take down a young tree and get a 3' setback and you're looking at a 20' wide...go to 1' setback and you have a 22' like I have.
thomasotten
It looks like I am going to settle on 17.5' wide by 30' deep. I plan on building a 12/12 roof so that I can have overhead storage. Not perfect, not ideal, but better than what I have now.
jsayre914
Old thread with lots of garage pics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...537&hl=show garage&st=0
thomasotten
After some thought, I have my concrete slab formed up at 19 wide X 30 long. You really have to watch these concrete guys. I told him from the beginning, I wanted 6" slab, he gives me 3-1/2 in areas. I had to make him correct that. Then, I wanted 3500 psi concrete, he orders 3000. I learned to watch every step of the way from the last slab I had done, which I had to correct for a slope after the pour!
914Sixer
Yep, you have to be with them step by step. They will plead ignorance every time.
PlantMan
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Feb 8 2016, 05:54 PM) *

After some thought, I have my concrete slab formed up at 19 wide X 30 long. You really have to watch these concrete guys. I told him from the beginning, I wanted 6" slab, he gives me 3-1/2 in areas. I had to make him correct that. Then, I wanted 3500 psi concrete, he orders 3000. I learned to watch every step of the way from the last slab I had done, which I had to correct for a slope after the pour!

Wow! That was quick!
Did they pour already???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.