Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We need a 914 R Gruppe
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Bobby Smith
I usually frequent the 914 world classified section only so I may late to the party but how about a 914 R Gruppe. Something for the modified 914 owners. Maybe a gathering (I'm on the "right" coast) Drives, tech sessions, T shirts, decals etc.
Just a thought. If one already exist, sign me up.
stevegm
It's funny you mentioned that. I have an article coming in Fourteener Motoring about a 914 R Gruppe. I'll post a link in here when it is live (if I ever get around to finishing it).
Larmo63
My idea was to do a take off on the idea.

Since 914s and their owners are already so different, how about "914 F Truppe?"

We could use the same logo they do, but to be a 914 owner, you already are a bit "off."
mepstein
I'd like to have a gathering at our shop. Owner started out as a 914 guy and stil has his first 914 and 914-6 race car. Plenty of room to host inside if it rained and we are 5 minutes from 95 and 5 minutes from fun driving roads. Maybe a month or 3 after Hershey.
stevegm
If you all decide to do something and want a logo/shirt designed, I'll do it if you like. And send me the info on the group and I'll stick it in the next issue of the magazine. I'd like to say I'd show up with a 914. But, at this point I am not even sure I will have one at Hershey this year. headbang.gif
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2016, 03:34 PM) *

My idea was to do a take off on the idea.

Since 914s and their owners are already so different, how about "914 F Truppe?"

We could use the same logo they do, but to be a 914 owner, you already are a bit "off."

Or maybe a 914 F Union?
EdwardBlume
Sorry, what's an R Grouppe?
Alphaogre
How about N.A.R.P Gruppe? biggrin.gif
Chris H.
^^^^^ agree.gif
bigkensteele
I am not sure that I would want to be part of a 914 R group if they operated like the 911 R group. I am fine with clubs having selective membership, but theirs just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I could have kept my 911 and sold the 914, but I decided to keep the 914 and sell the 911 instead. It came down to which community I wanted to be affiliated with. I have been here for almost 12 years. After a couple of years on Pelican, the choice was clear. I am by no means insulting anyone who owns a 911, but the vibe is just different.

Put it this way, I owned a slantnose conversion that happened to have red gauge faces when I bought it. The reception that I received was similar to if I had brought a St. Bernard/teacup poodle mix to the Westminster dog show.
rick 918-S
How about this? Honorary member of the SoCal 911 R Gruppe

Click to view attachment
colingreene
should buff right out.
tweet
From http://petrolicious.com/

What would entice you to wake up early on a Saturday morning and stand in the rain on a small side street in front of an auto salvage yard? What would make you want to come back and do that every month? For the members of the Porsche R Gruppe, the enticement is a little bit about cars, and a little bit more about the owners of these cars.

Formed as a result of a magazine article and a couple guys with common interests, the R Gruppe is an invitation-only classic Porsche car club with membership focused on the early 911 (1963-1973). The cars on display this particularly dreary Saturday morning spanned the range of early 911 model years, but as the club’s “Dictator”, Cris Huergas would tell you, the cars are only a part of what makes the group special.

In April 1998, Porsche Excellence magazine featured Cris’ lightweight modified 1969 911S along with his 1974 911 Carrera and three other early 911s owned by his brothers. Shortly after this article appeared, Huergas was contacted by Freeman Thomas who had been working on an early Porsche of his own and was impressed with Huergas’ build. The two spoke on the phone for several hours and out of the conversation (and a few subsequent in-person meetings) came the realization that there wasn’t really a car club for the type of car they wanted to build and drive. Since there was no car club for the hot-rod Porsche, the idea for the R Gruppe born.

The club doesn’t have any written requirements for membership, but is generally limited to early Porsche 911s—long-hood Porsches built through 1973, prior to the US introduction of impact bumpers—that have been modified with a “sporting” purpose and owners that exemplify the R Gruppe ethos. Huergas noted that, “just having a nice car doesn’t guarantee membership.” He said that prospective members are encouraged to attend events and get to know the group; if there’s chemistry prospects might just earn their membership.

In 2000, a year after the club was formed, Huergas and Thomas organized a meet in central California for the club members from Northern and Southern California to meet up. Only expecting about 30 cars, word had quickly spread and nearly 100 modified Porsches showed up to a small hotel in Cambria. The meet was ultimately a success and everyone had a great time...subsequently, the group was also asked to not come back to the hotel. While there wasn’t a possibility for a reunion meet at the same hotel, the R Gruppe has since held its annual Treffen (German for meeting) on the mid-coast of California for members from around the globe.

It was quickly realized that the group could grow out of control if a cap wasn’t placed on membership. Since that time, membership has been limited to around 300 worldwide and to maintain good standing within the club, members are expected to make efforts to attend events when they can. People who join just so they can get an R Gruppe badge and then don’t show up to events don’t last long with the group, who are protective of the membership and the group’s identity.

Over the years, the club has earned a reputation for being overly exclusive and arrogant, but to Huergas, the exclusivity is there to maintain the camaraderie of the group, without which it would just be a group of guys with old cars, “the spirit of the group is in the people, not their cars.” Despite this forthrightness about the membership, a 2010 article in Automobile Magazine sums up outside opinions of the club. (Click here for the link.)

“…the organization has become a lightning rod for haters from all four corners of the car world. To the august Porsche Club of America, R Gruppe is populated by a bunch of yahoos with no respect for tradition. To the hard-core racers who dominate the Porsche Owners Club, R Gruppe is full of poseurs who'd rather look fast than go fast. To early 911 aficionados who haven't been invited to join the club…R Gruppe is a gated community reserved for arrogant snobs. To high-dollar collectors, R Gruppe provides a prescription for replicars and fakey-doos that cost more to build than they're worth on the open market.”

Even if other clubs hold a less-than-glowing opinion of the R Gruppe, that didn’t seem to prevent a number of non-members (myself included) from showing up at European Auto Salvage Yard in Emeryville, CA, on a grey morning early in April. The Bay Area R Gruppe members meet at EASY every first Saturday of the month to hang out, talk shop, and show off their latest modifications.

The members I met were convivial and happy to talk about their cars, from a rare and recently restored 1968 911S to a 1973.5 911T CIS that’s still undergoing its own restoration. Among the members’ cars, you’ll find Porsches of every vintage and people wandering from one curb to the other ogling the cars. It’s a monthly car show that isn’t really a show, hosted by a club that seems to be the antithesis of all the other Porsche clubs out there…and the R Gruppe wouldn’t have it any other way.

Larmo63
After reading that, I think F Truppe is even a better idea. I have an idea for what our logo could be:

Click to view attachment
colingreene
F Truppe 4 lyfe.
Lets get stickers.
whitetwinturbo
F sounds good............everyone tells me to F Off all the time happy11.gif
VegasRacer
idea.gif "F" stands for "fourteen", right. shades.gif
23e Heure
I own an early 911, and am not a member of R Gruppe, and have never felt the desire to be.

A 914 equivalent however would be different (as the responses so far in the thread have amply demonstrated)...

Whatever we call it, put my name down now for membership!
brant
Narp
mbseto
Like the outlaw thread a while back, it seems like this kind of 914 owner is the rule, whereas that kind of 911 owner is the exception. The subset of 914 owners would be the "normal" guys.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The OG owner maybe ,not the car...sorry beer3.gif there is a screening process and I believe the 914 is low on the list..Eddie914 is a sorta kinda member in the PNW Rgruppe..they let him show up...he may have to buy the beer also beer.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(mbseto @ Feb 5 2016, 07:40 AM) *

Like the outlaw thread a while back, it seems like this kind of 914 owner is the rule, whereas that kind of 911 owner is the exception. The subset of 914 owners would be the "normal" guys.

^my thoughts exactly.

Too many modified 914s already for an exclusive club or group.

I see nothing wrong with the 911 R Gruppe idea or format. I doubt I'll ever own an older 911 to get invited or turned down so no big deal to me.

As for the slantnose 911 mentioned, I don't think one should get shunned due to that mod since it was a factory option for some years, I also think it does not fit into the R Gruppe format of modified cars and does not belong within that group of cars.
ConeDodger
I show up at RGruppe events pretty consistently in a company car. I have never felt less than completely welcome. In fact, I've noticed that when something completely different shows up, it gathers a crowd.

I think they are meeting tomorrow at EASY. I'll be there. Come on down and crash the event...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2016, 07:50 AM) *

As for the slantnose 911 mentioned, I don't think one should get shunned due to that mod since it was a factory option for some years, I also think it does not fit into the R Gruppe format of modified cars and does not belong within that group of cars.

It wasn't the R Gruppe guys. It was the general vibe on Pelican's 911 board. I am sure that it wasn't everyone, but the guys that weren't shy about posting felt that original examples were what they were, but a car that was converted to a slantnose was akin to a frilly baby blue tuxedo. I got '80s jabs and Miami Vice comments a lot.

I didn't care for the red gauges either, so I replaced them. When I posted the red ones in the classifieds, my FS thread got roasted because that mod was not something a sensible 911 owner would ever consider.

I am not a thin-skinned kind of guy, but I just don't fit in with that crowd. I like it here, where we can poke fun at one another, and I can do whatever I want with my car without getting flamed.
thieuster
A-Z Gruppe, I don't mind. I really would like to get my hands on one of those great t-shirts with a 914 on it!

I have the 914World t-shirt. I sometimes have to explain why... But I don't mind another for 2016!

With this global warming, the chances of wearing a t-shirt 'en public' is growing every day. So it would be best to wear a nice one!

Menno

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 5 2016, 08:26 AM) *

I show up at RGruppe events pretty consistently in a company car. I have never felt less than completely welcome. In fact, I've noticed that when something completely different shows up, it gathers a crowd.

I think they are meeting tomorrow at EASY. I'll be there. Come on down and crash the event...

This.

Early R Gruppe newsletters (they were very cool, and much like the old Twin Trunks Tribune) stated that R Gruppe was for sports purposes style hot rods based on two Porsches: early 911s and 914-6s—and included coverage of both cars. There always were a lot more 911s, but I was welcomed at events even with a 914-4.

I'm planning to be there tomorrow morning, too. It's really an EASY gathering more than an R Gruppe thing, and if you haven't been to EASY, it's one of the gems in the Bay Area Porsche community.

As for a 914 "R Gruppe," I had to laugh at the F Gruppe, but I think 914world.com effectively IS the R Gruppe for 914s? idea.gif

I don't think the R Gruppe has anything quite like the ultra active community surrounding this forum.

pete
matthepcat
Just join the 914 outlaw group on Facebook.... done. smile.gif
R8CERX
...where do you have your nails done?

I need to get mine done.... cheer.gif .... av-943.gif
thieuster
I did't know that is one! I'm only a lurker on Fb, so I'll have a look from time to time!

We could consider a W Gruppe ('world' Gruppe).

Menno

rick 918-S
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Feb 5 2016, 09:48 AM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 4 2016, 05:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

The OG owner maybe ,not the car...sorry beer3.gif there is a screening process and I believe the 914 is low on the list..Eddie914 is a sorta kinda member in the PNW Rgruppe..they let him show up...he may have to buy the beer also beer.gif

Yep, Not me the former owner. That ok by me. I think there are many cars and owners here that could show many of those guys our tail lights anyway. bootyshake.gif Now that's outlaw... aktion035.gif
EdwardBlume
Um, what's an R Gruppe?
tweet
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 5 2016, 03:01 PM) *

Um, what's an R Gruppe?

Scroll up for answer.
bernbomb914
you have got to be kidding. you dont need anything else but WORLD
porschetub
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 5 2016, 02:41 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Hows that car going ?,enjoy seeing this one come back from the dead smile.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 5 2016, 06:27 AM) *

Narp

Brant nailed it. R Gruppe ..... BLAH ..... I'll be a NARP Gruppe forever! We do have an ultra secret handshake.
boxstr
Here is decal for members of the 914 R Gruppe. The 1 could possibly relate to the member number, when they joined?
Craig at CAMP
Mr. Olympic Blue 2 You
I am not a thin-skinned kind of guy, but I just don't fit in with that crowd. I like it here, where we can poke fun at one another, and I can do whatever I want with my car without getting flamed.
[/quote]

You obviously haven't put a WTB for a 916 bumper or thought NOS tail light lenses were actually worth $400/pr.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2016, 10:23 PM) *

After reading that, I think F Truppe is even a better idea. I have an idea for what our logo could be:

Click to view attachment

So this would be the secret wave finger.gif w00t.gif ? I'm ready to join right now if so.

Can we also ban the word "convivial"? Just saw it in the R Gruppe article. How many people googled it just to get the exact meaning ?
sixnotfour
beer.gif
rgalla9146
Sign me up..... here and there !
The difference between the groups ( gruppes !) is that here we do the modifications and developments ourselves, there, they say that their guy is _ _ _ _ and he did this or recommended that I do that, blah blah blah.
In the end, both types of cars are pretty cool and the enthusiasm is real.
First, thanks for the education on how the R Group was founded.
As for those that feel have a dislike of their membership criteria. .. so what.
Halfway through this trend, I found someone who likes to wear a T Shirt. . My family always ask me why I wear a T shirt and jeans.
My response has always been, Monday through Friday I have to wear a white shirt and a tie. On weekends, I wear T shirt and jeans...as I don't need to impress anyone.
So I might or might not get invited. .. if I don't, I'm okay too.
There's more to life than that. Oh, they have some interesting 911's for sure.
Bobby Smith
WOW this thread sure took off. Less than 24 hours and 3 pages. Pretty funny stuff too.
There's interest in this. We just need organization.
Bobby Smith
QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 5 2016, 12:57 PM) *

Here is decal for members of the 914 R Gruppe. The 1 could possibly relate to the member number, when they joined?
Craig at CAMP

Love the logo. Since I started this thread, may I be #1? smilie_pokal.gif
boxstr
You can be #1 I'll be #2. Let's get some decals made! Pm me if you want to continue.
Craig at CAMP
rgalla9146
6...... I want to be six..... member number six please !
And Ray Mital wants to be number four.
Please sign us sign up.
wndsnd
Do you have to install Magnus steering wheels? sad.gif
JamesM
I thought this whole subject sounded familiar to me

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2635&st=100

I think Jeff Bowlsby summed up my thoughts pretty well.

not my deal at all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTkedIUX8U
horizontally-opposed
914 enthusiasts stereotyping R Gruppe enthusiasts in 2016 is just as lame as 356/911/912 enthusiasts stereotyping 914 enthusiasts in the early 1970s.

Instead, why don't you roll out and you know, talk to some of these enthusiasts? The vast majority of the folks who come to EASY are the real sea and very cool. Okay, maybe not as cool as 914 folks, but I may be biased. wink.gif

See you tomorrow, ConeDodger!
JamesM
Stereotyping? If people were not attempting to apply a label to a subset of individuals there would be no group to sterotype in the first place. I am not the one looking to label people here.

I respect car enthusiast of any make or model, most of them are probably even good people, but what exactly is the point of an invitation only subset of a larger established community if not to be pretentious?

I've been rolling out and talking to Porsche enthusiasts literally since the day I learned to drive and never in this time have I seen any reason why anyone would need an invitation only exclusive label attached to them just for being an enthusiast. For people who do feel the need for an exclusive label ill gladly give them one of my own...

I have no problem with the people, I have a problem with the idea that being in an exclusive group brings any benefit to the community. Really whats the point?

ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Feb 6 2016, 01:18 AM) *

914 enthusiasts stereotyping R Gruppe enthusiasts in 2016 is just as lame as 356/911/912 enthusiasts stereotyping 914 enthusiasts in the early 1970s.

Instead, why don't you roll out and you know, talk to some of these enthusiasts? The vast majority of the folks who come to EASY are the real sea and very cool. Okay, maybe not as cool as 914 folks, but I may be biased. wink.gif

See you tomorrow, ConeDodger!

Hope so. I am working so it depends on what is going down... But, I look forward to seeing you Pete!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.