Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp gauge ?????
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hi guys, pulled the meter outta my donor car-it has a factory temp guage inside the left dash guage--question--can I hook this up using the same sensor as the one with the guages in the center console??

Or do I need a specific sending unit???
machina
The old gauges don't really correspond with the new VDO senders, even if you match temp ranges, like the 150c or 200c.

I calibrated mine in the kitchen. Just get a 12 volt power supply and boil some water. This calibrates you to 212 deg F which is boiling temp at sea level.
BMartin914
I just bought the numbered 911 module and matched sender from automotion last week. I plan on installing it next weekend.

I think its the way to go if you don't mind reading the numbers vertically.
jwalters
QUOTE (synthesisdv @ Mar 19 2005, 07:10 PM)
The old gauges don't really correspond with the new VDO senders, even if you match temp ranges, like the 150c or 200c.

I calibrated mine in the kitchen. Just get a 12 volt power supply and boil some water. This calibrates you to 212 deg F which is boiling temp at sea level.

biggrin.gif Cool, thanks--if you could--tell me the posts on the back and which go to which--my haynes doesn't list it--mine has three terminals--but they only say numbers--I know which one is power, but which is sense and ground?
machina
QUOTE (jwalters @ Mar 19 2005, 07:55 PM)
tell me the posts on the back and which go to which--my haynes doesn't list it--mine has three terminals--but they only say numbers--I know which one is power, but which is sense and ground?

hereyago
martinef1963
J - couldn't get past your fishing buddy - was she w/ you during your last outing? laugh.gif

give me a call sometime this week. cool.gif
jwalters
QUOTE (martinef1963 @ Mar 20 2005, 07:39 PM)
J - couldn't get past your fishing buddy - was she w/ you during your last outing? laugh.gif

give me a call sometime this week. cool.gif

biggrin.gif Yea man-sure-just got your message on my phone a little while ago--sorry I missed it--been smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif on Black Sabbath relentlessly--

Did you get the know on the job yet??

Would be best for me to slip by sometime after work this week--should get you rolling in a couple of hours-- beerchug.gif
martinef1963
J - I can slip away around 3PM Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri this week. I've been working at Opa Locka since Wednesday - I get out of there w/ a head ache.

Let me know and we can hook up - I didn't make closing time for the push rod tube seals.

But my brother is picking it up for me tomorrow.

I would love to get her back, again, I'm putting her back FI version. The webber's went up another $100 ($900.....)

I will call you tomorrow when I'm on break. aktion035.gif
jwalters
QUOTE (martinef1963 @ Mar 20 2005, 08:50 PM)
J - I can slip away around 3PM Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri this week. I've been working at Opa Locka since Wednesday - I get out of there w/ a head ache.

Let me know and we can hook up - I didn't make closing time for the push rod tube seals.

But my brother is picking it up for me tomorrow.

I would love to get her back, again, I'm putting her back FI version. The webber's went up another $100 ($900.....)

I will call you tomorrow when I'm on break. aktion035.gif

biggrin.gif Cool, sounds good for --hmmmm--thursday---any chance I could come to the tower and have a looky loo??? Never been in one---and seeing as how you are now working 300 feet from me..... wink.gif

Congrats on the job!!!!! smilie_pokal.gif

I will definitley need to get up with you when I go to test flight phase of the plane I am building--wait till you see it man--will not believe your eyes!!! ohmy.gif
Dave_Darling
I believe that the stock sender for the center console mounted temp gauge is the same as the stock sender for the combo-gauge mounted temp gauge. Even if it isn't, it doesn't really matter. After all, you don't have any actual temperatures on the stock gauges, so a little mis-calibration won't really matter much.

Connections on the back of the gauge should read "S" "+", and a ground symbol made up of three lines stacked on top of each other to form a triangle. The "S" might be "12". Anyway, hook power (red/white) to "+", hook ground (brown) to the ground symbol, and hook the signal wire (green/black) to the "S" terminal.

--DD
jwalters
biggrin.gif Thanks Dave! After scrutinizing it and really looking at it closely- ( magnifying glass ) I could discern the symbols--cool, thanks! beer.gif
martinef1963
J - I'm still in training and don't have much say about visitors - YEY, but don't you worry bro - you will get a tour once I'm rated and have a key to the OPF tower.

thanks and see you Thursday.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.