Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating parts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
My suggestion is to find a local place in an industrial park that will work with you. Our local place isn't pretty and my order isn't typical (they mostly do patio furniture and aluminum awnings). $275 got all this done and my 914-6 tank. Everything looked like crap on the way in.
tomrev
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2016, 04:32 AM) *

My suggestion is to find a local place in an industrial park that will work with you. Our local place isn't pretty and my order isn't typical (they mostly do patio furniture and aluminum awnings). $275 got all this done and my 914-6 tank. Everything looked like crap on the way in.

Exactly! The place where I live will do the parts cheaper than I can rattle-can them. A few years back, they did a full tube frame for a Lotus 23, and 35 individual suspension, engine mount, etc. bits for $235. Their usual stuff is large cherry lugs for the local farm industry.
BK911
Local guy did 23 pieces for $100. Blasting and powder coating. Rattle can is dead to me!
mepstein
Started in with them a couple years ago when I left the rowing erg in my workshop and it rusted up. I took it apart and had them blast the parts. Now it looks like new.
aircooledtechguy
I haven't painted parts in about 10 years. Powder coating is the way to go IMHO. Faster, cheaper and the finish lasts a lot longer. . . That's a win, win, win!!
Larmo63
Do it right if you are going to do it. Powder coat is the way to go. I'm actually picking up more pieces today at my p/c shop.

Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
I've had some problems when the coating was applied to heavy and it changed the fit.
McMark
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2016, 07:07 AM) *

Started in with them a couple years ago when I left the rowing erg in my workshop and it rusted up. I took it apart and had them blast the parts. Now it looks like new.

Nice! I have a Model C. Just started using it again after the move.
mbseto
Any rec's for the Cinci area?
Eric_Shea
BTDT... all the time.

Biggest thing is to go light around the brake line and cable tabs on the suspension bits. those clips are a precision fit. The clips will not fit through the journals on the ends of the lines without taking the powder coating off now.

What bushings do you plan to use Mark?
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 5 2016, 12:27 PM) *

BTDT... all the time.

Biggest thing is to go light around the brake line and cable tabs on the suspension bits. those clips are a precision fit. The clips will not fit through the journals on the ends of the lines without taking the powder coating off now.

Elephant

And stop being so serious mr shea bootyshake.gif
Tom_T
Mark,

Since they all mostly use the same PC color charts & materials, how was the color & finish match to the OE satin black used on your -6 parts as painted from the factory? confused24.gif

I had interior parts on my `88 Westy PC'd with a local guy my body shop uses, & we got an excellent match for it's factory color, but they were more of a semi-gloss or gloss originally.

Just wondering if they'd be able to match the factory black satin for my 73 2L's parts in the resto?
- essentially the same set of parts as as what you've done for your -6.

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 5 2016, 01:44 PM) *

Mark,

Since they all mostly use the same PC color charts & materials, how was the color & finish match to the OE satin black used on your -6 parts as painted from the factory? confused24.gif

I had interior parts on my `88 Westy PC'd with a local guy my body shop uses, & we got an excellent match for it's factory color, but they were more of a semi-gloss or gloss originally.

Just wondering if they'd be able to match the factory black satin for my 73 2L's parts in the resto?
- essentially the same set of parts as as what you've done for your -6.

TIA beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Honestly, all I told them was run everything semigloss black. I also had 4 sets of 911 engine tin including a set of '76 turbo tin. Their semi black was a dead match for the turbo tin and that's what we needed. 2% of the cars we do are original restorations. The rest are hot rods. Hot rods are easier because we make them look the way we want, not the way we think some judge wants.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2016, 11:09 AM) *

Honestly, all I told them was run everything semigloss black. I also had 4 sets of 911 engine tin including a set of '76 turbo tin. Their semi black was a dead match for the turbo tin and that's what we needed. 2% of the cars we do are original restorations. The rest are hot rods. Hot rods are easier because we make them look the way we want, not the way we think some judge wants.

Okay, Thanx. Yes - resto-mod frees you up a lot more.

Semi-gloss may work for what I want, I'll probably check something on a test piece.

Thanx Again! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Tom_T
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2016, 06:59 AM) *

Do it right if you are going to do it. Powder coat is the way to go. I'm actually picking up more pieces today at my p/c shop.

Click to view attachment

Lawrence, your stuff looks great! first.gif ... as does Mark's! first.gif

You should post the shop so others in SoCal/OC/SD have a good tried-n-true PC source.

Hopefully you'll venture up from South County for the PCA breakfast & 914 display at Original Mike's in Santa Ana tomorrow morning 8-10-ish!

There should be a good number of 914s there, which may push the other "bastard Porsche-NARPs" (924/944/968/951 & 928) over quite a way! biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
falcor75
Just remember to remove the powdercoat where important safety parts meet, like the rear sway arm and brake caliper contact patches.
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2016, 11:24 AM) *

BTDT... all the time.

Elephant

Ok... Just joking then. You need to install the races first, then powder coat. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now you have to scrape the powder off to get the races on unless you're talking elephant rubber.
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 8 2016, 06:55 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 5 2016, 11:24 AM) *

BTDT... all the time.

Elephant

Ok... Just joking then. You need to install the races first, then powder coat. biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Now you have to scrape the powder off to get the races on unless you're talking elephant rubber.

Then I'm a lucky man biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
I'll shut up now. blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 8 2016, 11:47 PM) *

I'll shut up now. blink.gif

Not at all. I appreciate the education. Luck doesn't teach much.
Amphicar770
Looks great and that is awesome pricing.

I took a bunch of stuff locally that I had mostly blasted myself, this included trailing arms, backing plates, etc. I was very pleased when the bill came in for $145 and it looked great.

I then brought a 2nd batch including engine tins, engine mounting bar, etc. I let him blast and coat all of these. Nearly crapped when he sent me an invoice this evening for $500.

Lesson learned. Trust no one., even if you dealt with them before. Get a quote up front.
Amphicar770
BTW, should you need to remove powder coat ... CRC gasket remover, wait 60 seconds, and wipe with a rag. Gone in a flash.
Puebloswatcop
smilie_pokal.gif Man your parts look awesome. I see several newly cad plated items as well...any referrals for where I can send mine to have them done?
saigon71
Those parts look great!

I'm about 24 hours into wire-brushing, cleaning, rustproofing and painting all my tin with a rattle can. Would have paid the $250. dry.gif
mepstein
I just sent over one of Ben's new aluminum 914-6 oil tanks to get done. They did a nice job on my origional tank so I threw it in while I was taking over a batch of parts for a customer. They know my standing order is always satin black.
jkb944t
My Elephant Racing poly-bronze bushings slide over the powder coating without any problem at all. I just added a thin layer of JB Weld over the powder coating and slide the bushing on while slightly rotating it to distribute the JB Weld. They fit like a glove.

Jeff B
jkb944t
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Feb 17 2016, 05:14 PM) *

BTW, should you need to remove powder coat ... CRC gasket remover, wait 60 seconds, and wipe with a rag. Gone in a flash.

This is really helpful info and good timing since I found out that there is some powder coating that got into the ball joint bore on my front struts. I was trying to decide how to clean it out but now I have the solution!

Jeff B
db9146
Kypton tape can be used to mask off areas prior to powder coating as it can withstand the oven temps. Comes off easily after the part cools and leaves a nice sharp line.
Boomingbeetle
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 5 2016, 12:19 PM) *

You should post the shop so others in SoCal/OC/SD have a good tried-n-true PC source.

Bump old thread! icon_bump.gif

I am in OC San Clemente and I need a powdercoat source evilgrin.gif

Any recommendations?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.