Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
Was (is) there a remake of the original hockey puck. Those scattered on the 'net are made from unobtanium and/or expensivium! Perhaps a version with the 914World logo perhaps? Just for the fun of it?

Menno
porschetub
QUOTE(thieuster @ Feb 6 2016, 08:13 AM) *

Was (is) there a remake of the original hockey puck. Those scattered on the 'net are made from unobtanium and/or expensivium! Perhaps a version with the 914World logo perhaps? Just for the fun of it?

Menno

914rubber make a reproduction base which is ok,there are atleast 2 vendors on ebay selling the trim ring and the embossed leather,all up I payed around $220 to make one.
You need the hardware off the back of your old wheel if you still have it otherwise there is a repro kit you can buy.
Pelican stock the chrome trim ring also and that comes via them through Stoddards.
I personally like the look of them and they are much lighter than the assembly off the stock wheel.
jmill
Spendy but available.

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com/Hocke...-68-p26629.html

Cal
I've always liked the clean look of the steering wheel with just the hockey puck.
Have you ever considered installing a momo prototipo.....the one in the photo is a slightly larger 370MM.....the new ones are 350MM.....they are very cool also.
euro911
For that kind of $, I'll just take the one off of my '67 911 and stick it on the 914 when I go out & about ... then stick it back on the '67 when I'm done biggrin.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(jmill @ Feb 6 2016, 11:34 AM) *

That's only the base however,add the trim ring and the embossed leather and that's another extra cost,prices I checked were ;
trim ring in $116- $123,
embossed leather $55-$65,
this is dependant on where you buy,I have seen original ones go for around $400 used and they can be in very average condition.
Larmo63
This is Mark's very good reproduction and the eBay bits…..I like it.Click to view attachment
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 5 2016, 05:52 PM) *

This is Mark's very good reproduction and the eBay bits…..I like it.

Do you recall where you got the trim ring and leather and how much you paid. From what I am seeing, the trim ring is the most costly bit. I already have Mark's base.
Mike Fitton
Here is the whole thing from Sierra Madre on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-Puck-Horn-B...bHu&vxp=mtr
Cairo94507
Man, I really want one of those for my Six but the SMC price is steep. Going to have go on the list with the gas burners after the car is done and back home.
Mikey914
Dude I have a few left at $40 they will be going up on the next run, but they are here -

http://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...6?keywords=horn
euro911
You have 1 less in your inventory now biggrin.gif

I have a couple of leather inserts (ebay items) ... just need a trim ring aktion035.gif
thieuster
That's what I'd figured out too: the lower part form 914Rubber isn't the most expensive item. It is -as usual- very moderately priced! It's the stuff that you need on top of the base that's ridiculously expensive!

I am sure that there will be quite a few of us out there who are interested in a complete set! And (correct me when I'm wrong...) a complete hockey puck set can also be used on the steering wheel of other models. That expands the market / pool of potential buyers.

Menno

(btw, my apology for the double posting on the forum)

mepstein
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 5 2016, 10:58 PM) *

Here is the whole thing from Sierra Madre on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hockey-Puck-Horn-B...bHu&vxp=mtr

I think I can get the whole kit from our supplier for $325
Kansas 914
I think Rick Ollah made one out of PVC fittings that looked pretty good. But he does have mad fabricating skills.
porschetub
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 6 2016, 03:07 PM) *

Do you recall where you got the trim ring and leather and how much you paid. From what I am seeing, the trim ring is the most costly bit. I already have Mark's base.

Did you read my reply post # 2,it should also be noted the the trim ring I got ex Pelican appears to be made of stainless steel unlike the original chrome one,better I think.
914 rubber state on there site that the moulded in fastenings are imperial thread,if you don't have a metric tap you can carefully thread the original metric screws in ant they thread into the brass inserts no problem.
Larmo63
The leather is around $45-50 on eBay..

The trim ring is $150 on eBay. It fits mark's casting PERFECTLY. I couldn't give two shits if the threads on his part are SAE.
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 7 2016, 06:55 PM) *

The leather is around $45-50 on eBay..

The trim ring is $150 on eBay. It fits mark's casting PERFECTLY. I couldn't give two shits if the threads on his part are SAE.

I didn't also just making the comment Lawrence,no intent to diss his product or what ever is your issue confused24.gif
Larmo63
Not you, tub, but the purists look down their noses at SAE threads on things made in Germany!!

You are my Bud, Porschetub!!!!!
bigkensteele
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 6 2016, 08:15 PM) *

Did you read my reply post # 2,it should also be noted the the trim ring I got ex Pelican appears to be made of stainless steel unlike the original chrome one,better I think.
914 rubber state on there site that the moulded in fastenings are imperial thread,if you don't have a metric tap you can carefully thread the original metric screws in ant they thread into the brass inserts no problem.

I was not trying to dis anyone. I was asking where someone found a trim ring for $113.
raynekat
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 7 2016, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 6 2016, 08:15 PM) *

I was not trying to dis anyone. I was asking where someone found a trim ring for $113.

Looks like pricing for these guys is up....$149.50 (incl ship).
Give a nod to inflation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...W-/141258425974
Mueller
[quote name='raynekat' date='Feb 7 2016, 09:07 PM' post='2300053']

[/quote]

Looks like pricing for these guys is up....$149.50 (incl ship).
Give a nod to inflation.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Porsche-911-...W-/141258425974
[/quote]

ouch.....i need to get a hold of an old one to reverse engineer a new one....no way I'll ever pay that much for one!
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 8 2016, 05:43 PM) *

Not you, tub, but the purists look down their noses at SAE threads on things made in Germany!!

You are my Bud, Porschetub!!!!!

All cool bud,the embossed leather trim off ebay($55) caused me issues,there is very little room the attach glue to the trim ring,like only 3mm at most,the backing material supplied is rubbish really,I cut a piece of felt and put it in there and looks better.
Pic is pre felt installation looks like an old baggy bum lol-2.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
At a certain point I should just make the trim ring too it looks like.
euro911
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 7 2016, 10:22 PM) *
At a certain point I should just make the trim ring too it looks like.
Yes, please cool_shades.gif
JmuRiz
Trim ring would be nice Mikey.

I have a real one, but it needs re-chromed...may be cost-effective to put a new part on.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.