Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: stuck in 4th
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I am inching the 6-conversion towards completion and this weekend it will be around freezing so it will be warm enough to work in the garage (heated up to 50 degrees). So I am getting the custom (home) made rod and spherical bearing into place through my bronze bushing at the side shift and all is well. Run through a few test shifts - great. But now it is stuck in what I think is 4th.

Dammit

So with all of the linkage disconnected it is still stuck. Kicked the started over a few times and still stuck. This is my second 914 tranny and 3rd overall and I was meticulous in my building. It went through the gears on the bench and even when I got bored with things and tried it after installation. Any likely suspects? New or perhaps like-new friction rings, so I know that can produce a lot of grab at first. Also, how much force is too much force on the shifter shaft coming out of the side?

Guess I am gonna shift to putting in the torsion springs, rear shocks, and the suction flaps under the car. Of course the bearings seized on my bandsaw a half hour previous. headbang.gif headbang.gif

I can pull that console off, but the tranny is full of oil. Thanks mates!! Or whatever that would be in American english.
worn
Edit and bump. It is reverse it be stuck in. Yarrghhhh.

'Cmon, I am on a concrete floor here trying to find shifting bliss. Any help?
r_towle
It may need to have the shifter console removed.
How did you align the shifter forks?
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 7 2016, 08:19 AM) *

It may need to have the shifter console removed.
How did you align the shifter forks?

I used the manual and the jig from Pelican. But now I am worried I did it wrong. No quick fix for that I am thinking.

But if it comes to that, I am considering pulling the stack out from the bak with case installed. No valance on yet, nor will there be till spring when I can paint.

Any other clues? Are you thinking that the fingers are misaligned with the shift rods? The thing is it shifted before, so either something changed, or something that isn't a likely event finally caught up to me such as it being slightly out of spec so it jams sometimes. What breaks first if I hit the control rod with a hammer or try some other means of force?

BTW, I think it is 4th. I get confused when I am upside down.
Bartlett 914
You will have to remove the console to fix it. The shift lever has run over (past) the shift fork lever. You will need to remove the console and manually push the shift fork back to neutral. That shift fork is probably out of position and this may happen again.
worn
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 8 2016, 09:45 AM) *

You will have to remove the console to fix it. The shift lever has run over (past) the shift fork lever. You will need to remove the console and manually push the shift fork back to neutral. That shift fork is probably out of position and this may happen again.

That makes sense! Don't like it, but it makes sense. May still try to pull the gear stick out sideways. After draining all that never used oil. Thanks much!
worn
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Feb 8 2016, 09:45 AM) *

On the bright side, with the console out I should be able to tell where the shift forks are located relative to each other.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.