Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question about replacing Main Targa Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hndyhrr
I am planning on replacing the Main Targa Seal this weekend also the one under it.

Any hints, do this, don't do it this way????

Thanks

Renee
Dave_Darling
Heat the seal up (possibly let it sit in the sun if you can?) so it is pliable. Start installing it in the middle; push firmly to seat it. Go out to the sides. Put the sides in by hooking one edge of the seal into the channel, then pushing the other end into the other part of the channel with a screwdriver or other flat-bladed tool.

When the seal is in place, put the top on. Pulling the top forward with the latches will push the seal even more firmly in place.

--DD
Larmo63
agree.gif

It needs to be centered around the block that centers the roof on the A-pillar.

Your fingers will be a bit sore afterwards.
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 6 2016, 09:48 PM) *

Heat the seal up (possibly let it sit in the sun if you can?) so it is pliable. Start installing it in the middle; push firmly to seat it. Go out to the sides. Put the sides in by hooking one edge of the seal into the channel, then pushing the other end into the other part of the channel with a screwdriver or other flat-bladed tool.

When the seal is in place, put the top on. Pulling the top forward with the latches will push the seal even more firmly in place.

--DD

thanks
hndyhrr
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 6 2016, 09:58 PM) *

agree.gif

It needs to be centered around the block that centers the roof on thee A-pillar.

Your fingers will be a bit sore afterwards.

could not be as sore as after i re-upholstered the seats in the 65 fastback pony!
Garland
P-80 works great. I have used this to install brake line grommets into the master cylinder, and many tight fitting weather strips.

It a temporary rubber lubricant. This is a sample pack.
And the link to the original post 2006 Installing weatherstip
Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
You shouldn't really need to lube up the seal, but if you do I would use glycerine. I found it at Walgreen's. It not only is slippery, but it is actually good for rubber--unlike silicone!

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.